Citroen Xsara Picasso - 2002 Xsara Picasso Battery fault? - BrianTheLion

Today I got the battery light up on the dash along with FAULT-BATTERY CHARGE. At the same time my power steering became non-existant.

I've tried to access the battery, which is stupidly located under the passenger seat, but cant manage to tilt the seat up enough to get access to the battery compartment. I've managed to lift it by the levers, but only slightly.

As a process of elimination is becoming a little difficult do you think its worth just going straight for an alternator test?

The car is a 52 plate.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - 2002 Xsara Picasso Battery fault? - elekie&a/c doctor

No battery /alternator charging and no pas.I would start by checking the condition of the drive belt on the engine.hth

Ive only had the car 4 months, its just passed the 103k mark, there is something handwritten on the engine bay with a marker pen saying T/Belt 87,000... I assumed thats when it was changed last?

Any ideas how long these are meant to last? A lot of forums say 72k? my local indy garage said 20k?

Citroen Xsara Picasso - 2002 Xsara Picasso Battery fault? - elekie&a/c doctor

Timing belt drives the camshaft.Must be ok if the engine runs.Poly vee aux drive belt drives alternator,pas pump and a/c pump.This could have failed or the crank pulley has self destructed resulting in loss of drive to your auxiliaries.hth

Timing belt drives the camshaft.Must be ok if the engine runs.Poly vee aux drive belt drives alternator,pas pump and a/c pump.This could have failed or the crank pulley has self destructed resulting in loss of drive to your auxiliaries.hth

Thanks for the advice...

I've just managed to get access to the battery and it looks in pretty decent nick, but then again it is protected from the elements under the seat! This may be irrelevant but the battery is french. More than likely the original?

The car is 9 years old.. do you think there is a strong chance that a new battery may be all thats required? Do you think its worth charging this one first?

There is instructions on the battery, in french about how to connect. Cant understand them. Am I right in thinking you remove the - first, then +, then reconnect via the reverse process?

Edit - something I forgot to mention... I had the gear connector cables replaced about 2 months ago and since then the radio stopped working. Wont switch on and makes a strange clicking sound now and again as if its trying to eject a CD. Was going to have it checked come MOT time. Ive also just remembered that the car wont always lock with the remote, as if all the doors arent shut, when they are! - could this be all interlinked with lack of power from the battery?

Edited by BrianTheLion on 18/08/2011 at 09:26

Citroen Xsara Picasso - 2002 Xsara Picasso Battery fault? - Ethan Edwards

Be careful when you replace the battery on an XPic you must use a 'gel' type not a regular lead acid type. Reason being as it's located in the passenger compartment and if you turn it over, you don't want sulphuric acid sloshing around the passenger compartment.

Very good chance it is the original mine lasted eight years. Having the battery inside protects it from extremes of temperature etc. It's a good design. From your posts -go check your alternator belt.

Be careful when you replace the battery on an XPic you must use a 'gel' type not a regular lead acid type. Reason being as it's located in the passenger compartment and if you turn it over, you don't want sulphuric acid sloshing around the passenger compartment.

Very good chance it is the original mine lasted eight years. Having the battery inside protects it from extremes of temperature etc. It's a good design. From your posts -go check your alternator belt.

Thanks, I'll get the alternator belt checked before I mess about with the battery...

Citroen Xsara Picasso - 2002 Xsara Picasso Battery fault? - Ethan Edwards

Be careful when you connect/ dsconnect the battery in a Xpic. They have a BSI module that needs to be done carefully.

Read this link.

http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/index.php/topic/8846-faqs/

Citroen Xsara Picasso - 2002 Xsara Picasso Battery fault? - Geyza

Hi, Have you got this sorted?

I have just been out and when I started my car the power steering had stopped working completely. I was driving a short distance so I decided to carry on. Then I got the same battery warning you got. There is a wierd whining noise as well.

I was wondering if I needed a new power steering pump or something, but I may only need a new alternator or alternator belt?

I am getting more and more lost and confused the more I search for a cause and solution.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Geyza.