Land Rover Freelander 2 - Wheel Bearing on the way out??? - outtheoffice

Hi all,

I am hoping for some advice; I am currently in the South Of France with the family and a humming has developed with the rear near side wheel. It varies with speed and stops all together when turning courners at speed and so throwing the weight off the wheel

We have been to the local Land Rover dealer who say the bearing is on the way out but it is ok to drive it back to the UK and then up to Milton Keynes - about 800 miles.

The dealer cannot replace the bearing until after we should have returned home as its a holiday week in france and no one is working. The insurance company has offered us two choices, leave the car here to be recovered and faff around with rentals to get us home or risk it. I am minded to risk it.

How far can I drive on a noisy bearing,,,,there is currently no play in the wheel,but it will be weighed down, 4 passegers and luggage etc and it will be hot.

Grateful of any advice

Thanks

Edited by outtheoffice on 14/08/2011 at 18:16

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Wheel Bearing on the way out??? - injection doc

My thoughts would be to drive with care and keep going unless the noise gets worse and/or the brake pedal degenerates ! then you know the bearing is getting bad.

The troub;le with being relayed is they do it in relays and takes a while and you need to photo your car in every detail before it gets relayed.

I think you will be unlucky not to make it back.

Enjoy your holiday and take care. My Money is on the fact that you'll make it ok.

Many thanks, thats just what I needed to hear; we have changed our plans slightly so we do 2 sets of 350 miles in france over 2 days.....to be honest as long as we make Dover then all is good, from there we will be recovered to the local land rover dealer.

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Wheel Bearing on the way out??? - gordonbennet

Not familar with the FL set up, is it possible indeed do you have afew tools to enable you to get the dust cover off and force some grease in to the bearing.

If you can do this it certainly won't do any harm and might just help it to make the journey home.

Have you asked this question on a LR forum, someone might have another suggestion and/or they might just know of a French LR indy on your route home that could fix it for you.

Thats a god thought....problem is everywhere here is shut at themoment......this week is the equivilent of our August bank holiday week and all the firms seem to have gone on hols. Tried to look for a independant this AM. Problem is also that the wretched car is under warrenty and if I muck around with it then LR will not cover the cost.....but its the hassle of aroad side break down with kids I am more concerned to avoid. Might just take the ordinary roads and take it easy. I am assuming it will not fail without some warning.

Greasing wont help as the damage is already done, they become noisey when the hardening has failed. The likley hood of being able to reach it is zero.

Its under warranty so head for home when your ready. Drive with care which is what you have said and dont let it spoil your holiday.

I had an EGR valve failure whilst on holiday in the Pyrenees with my FR2 and a sensor failure on the way home displaying Steering column locked whilst driving but it got me home ok. I drove in relays over a few days and just made a trip of it and the further north we progressed meant less distance to be recovered but as luck was on our side we made it home complete with twin axle caravan

Edited by injection doc on 15/08/2011 at 16:17

I think that is much the way we are looking at it...it was louder when we popped out today for some more wine ( we are in france after all!!!) The plan is to split the journey in two - 350 miles each day sticking to 60 mph and to come off the auto route if it gets much louder.

Just pleased we did not bring our caravan with us this time - that would bring a whole level of complexity in the event of a total failure. As long as we can get onto the boat thats fine, after that it should be much easier. Just annoyed we traded a 6 year old X Trail which never gave us a seconds trouble for this 4 weeks ago. Hey ho live and learn !!!

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Wheel Bearing on the way out??? - Peter.N.

I have driven tens of thousands of miles with noisey wheel bearings but have never head one fail, the only result I had was thinking I had gone deaf when I changed it.

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Wheel Bearing on the way out??? - 659FBE

I'll set aside my dislike of LR engineering and offer a practical suggestion. Many rolling bearings will operate noisily when loaded for a prolonged period. You need to avoid at all costs a sudden "loss of integrity" (as RR used to put it) of the rolling elements.

A precursor of this will be heat - lots of it. With your vehicle loaded, drive steadily for some distance avoiding all use of the brakes. Roll to a halt and check each rear hub by hand for heating. It is entirely normal for a loaded bearing to become warm - but not hot.

If your "bad side" is little warmer than the other, contiue with care. If it runs hot, you must take corrective action (unless you have a brake problem as well).

Best of luck for your return trip.

Thanks folks for your supportive messages.....I have been checking the wheel for heat every time we stop but so far no hotter than the other wheels.....very disappointed with the car and with Stratstones, there is a chance it is the tyre, they supplied this 2 year old vehicle with brand new matador tyres (yuck) and so they could be faulty, but since we have been here we broke down going up Mount Ventoux (6k feet) when the rad fan failed to cut in, the car boiled and went into limp mode, we have noticed only half the heated windscreen works and one of the two fobs does not hold its charge, When I add to that the fact the door seals are coming away this is a very disappointing experience.

I will certainly be having strong words with Stratstones when we return and I suspect looking to see if there are any Xtrails around... a far more reliable proposition.

I would visit www.freel2.com

sadly you will find much the same story of FR2's mostly dealer issue;s