Bentley Plotting Range Rover Beater - jamie745

BENTLEY PLOTTING RANGE ROVER RIVAL

• Bentley Boss Wants To Build Luxurious SUV
  • Predicts Car To Become Biggest Seller
  • Head To Head With Range Rover

Bentley is preparing an ultra-luxurious SUV to take on the next-generation Range Rover, its chairman Wolfgang Durheimer has revealed.

The Volkswagen-owned company has been eyeing up an extra model, beyond its current line-up of Continental variants and the Mulsanne, as it tries to push its projected 2011 sales figure of around 7000 cars towards its all-time high of 10,000 units.

Durheimer told What Car? that he believes a luxurious SUV would appeal to burgeoning markets in China, the Middle East and Russia.

'There is fresh, "undug" ground on the SUV side,' said Durheimer. 'The Porsche Cayenne Turbo S is good, very attractive, but it can be beaten on craftsmanship. If we could produce an SUV with the interior finish of the Mulsanne, we could have a real success in China, the US and Europe. It could be our biggest seller.

There are discussions ongoing with the [VW Group] board; they are pretty advanced talks, but the project does still need approval.'

When asked if the car would be more expensive than the next-generation Range Rover, which is expected to crack through the £150,000 mark, Durheimer said: 'I don't know their exact figures, but the car would be at the top of the market.'

He revealed that the SUV could use V8 power, but reiterated his belief that Bentley should become the VW Group's centre for the future development of 12-cylinder engines.

Obtained from WhatCar

Bentley Plotting Range Rover Beater - aaj

I'm not sure they are plotting a "Range Rover Beater", but an up market 4x4. From reports out there on the web it'll be more like redesigned, more up market Cayenne with a different badge. They'll be trying to create a new niche like the Evoque has. The next gen Range Rover willl be going more for the Bently crowd and will be much larger and you would hope, still just as good off road as it is now. I can't see Bentley going for the off road market can you?

I think Bentley would be stupid to not make the car at least sort of usable offroad, for that sort of money theres no reason why it shouldnt be. Of course it wont be aimed at farmers or anything but even a Range Rover Sport isnt totally useless off road so Bentley need to keep that in mind. If things like the Continental GT and the Brooklands are anything to go by it will be very big and very powerful. Theres still a big demand for 'bling' SUV's and if Bentley's revenues are anything to go by (virtually on income support from the VW Group if i have it right) they need to do something.

Just as an aside this has come at the same time where Bentley's boss has said we may soon see the first ever diesel powered Bentley, apparently there is considerable opposition to such an idea within the firm though.

Edited by jamie745 on 12/08/2011 at 14:55

Bentley Plotting Range Rover Beater - unthrottled

Diesel is made for a barge like a Bentley. The power characteristics of the 6.75 litre are very diesel like anyway. In something like a Mulsanne, petrol offers no advantage over diesel. Why oppose it for its own sake?

Its the fact diesel still has the image of tight fisted tractor about it and Bentley have always refused to use it. A sense of it 'doesnt belong' in such a luxury car. And in some ways i agree, i like it that theres still some firms left who refuse to use diesel. Its based more on principle though which is why they're resisting. The Big Cheese of Bentley says opposition will be overcome but an anti-diesel brigade in Bentley are pretty strong it seems.

At the end of the day, they'll do what VW tell them! They might be given a Touareg to do a Vanden Plas job on, but they won't be dictating terms to VW.

Fuel economy doesn't really feature predominantly in the minds of someone buying a £200K car, but these dasys, heavy consumption doesn't cast the company in a favourable light.

An 8 cylinder diesel will sound marvellous through the tail pipes. They can hide any diesely NVH under acres of insulation.The opposition is probably from people who got the company in a mess in the first place.

The old guard need to be careful. Honda is doggedly sticking to it's naturally aspirated formula in spite of all the evidence that forced induction works and drivers like it. Being different only works if the product is comparable or better than the norm.

Well Bentley's revenue figures are not good and they are becoming the white elephant of the VW Group so unless they want to be cut loose they'll have to start towing the line a bit and make something viable. It has to be noted if it wasnt for being part of VW then Bentley wouldnt meet their emissions requirements, a few diesel Polo's offset each Brooklands etc.

Edited by jamie745 on 12/08/2011 at 15:53

Bentley Plotting Range Rover Beater - Sofa Spud

Bentley did build six 4x4s for the Sultan of Brunei in 1994. They incorporated the Range Rover 4-wheel drive system and cost £3 million each.

http://wikicars.org/en/Bentley_Dominator

I suppose it's no stupider for Bentley to make a 4x4 SUV than for them to make a 200 mph saloon car!

You wash your mouth out with soap this instance! The Flying Spur is a magnificent vehicle and the idea of a 200mph saloon car is quite simply wonderful.

:)

The Continental and GT look OK, but when I saw a Mulsanne I thought it was a Chrysler 300 with a body kit-not a pretty sight!

Like Aston it's a very difficult brand to work with. I suspect that the engineers would like to tone the Bentleys down a bit (size weight etc), but the marketing dept need to keep clear water betwen themselves and ordinary luxury cars. Not easy.

When you're asking twice the price of a more mainstream Mercedes C Class or BMW 5 Series or something you need to have something special. Sheer size and world class engines are Bentley's party piece, and the Bentley name. But apart from that, in terms of equipment etc a used Bentley Continental GT has nothing that say a BMW 650 hasnt got for much less money. If they toned themselves down they'd have to knock the price down and be put in the firing line of BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguar etc and that could end up even worse for them.

Brands like Bentley and Aston Martin need the 'purists' in there who insist on doing it the way its always been done because thats the only way they'll sell anything.

But unthrottled you mention the 300C there, ive been in one of those and its massive, yes the interior trims a bit plasticy (ie American) and no its not that well made but an 05 plate can be yours, in Diesel form for around £7,000 today.

Edited by jamie745 on 12/08/2011 at 17:13

Bentley Plotting Range Rover Beater - Bobbin Threadbare

That yellow Bentley Dominator looks like a Hackney cab.

Well that's what they're afraid of. But if your target audience want to show off their new toy in Knightsbridge, making it the size of a M1 Abrahms might not be a good move.

And then there's the back-handed compliments from the press "world's first 200mph cathedral", "great handling-for a 2 1/2 tonne beast" and the like.

They could 'beat' BMW by using exotic materials to shed a few pounds and consolidate the racing connection.

But if all the Bentleys end up being used as Boulevard cruisers by rap singers in Malibu, the brand is finished.

Now for an engine; the Duramax V8 would be a great base for 'gentrification'. It'll easily make as much power as the pointless V12 TDI but it might actually get some decent CO2 figures to boot.