Jaguar S-Type VED Mistake? - jamie745

As regular readers will know i purchased a Jaguar S-Type just over a month ago and im now a bit confused regarding its Road Tax rate (or VED charge, before any militant pedants or cyclists assault me). I was charged £460 for a 12 month disc and the disc on the car when i bought it had £435 written on it which was Band M's price for the previous year. However on the Government's website it states that vehicles emitting over 255g/km (which it does) but were registered between 2001-2006 will go into Band K at £260 presumably until the next budget.

My car was first registered in October 2004 on a 54 plate yet appears to be classed as in Band M. Am i being a total idiot and missing something or has there been some sort of Admin error on the car? It seems it was in Band M last year and surely if that was wrong the previous owner wouldve sorted it out? Ive had a look around the internet and i cant find particularly any other cases of this happening but if the DVLA can manage to lose 12 million drivers details i suppose anything is possible.

Is it worth contacting the DVLA or have i missed something?

Jamie

Jaguar S-Type VED Mistake? - Collos25

It states quite clearly on the DVLA web site that the amount you have been charged is correct,I thought you would have done some homework first.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

* Band K includes cars that have a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006

Am i reading that section wrong?

Edited by Avant on 07/08/2011 at 00:13

Ignore this thread guys ive found the problem now.

Jaguar S-Type VED Mistake? - Collos25

The DVLA web site quite clearly says what the taxation of your car should be.If you don't believe them complain they have charged you the correct amount you either have a different reference it certainly is not the DVLA web site, the link above takes you to the taxation class of your car.

Edited by Avant on 07/08/2011 at 00:13

I took that quote from the link you provided.

Jaguar S-Type VED Mistake? - SteveLee

It should be £260, you're beinf overcharged.

It should be £260, you're beinf overcharged.

Thanks for being able to read English Steve, that link Collos gave me did say what i claimed it did. However i have found the cause of the issue. Confusion was caused due to a change in the cars numberplate at some point, when i acquired it it had a private plate which ive only just discovered as it looks like a normal one and gives the impression of being a 54 plate car when its not, presumably the letters spell initials of the previous owner or something, i know these kind of plates are cheaper than the more obvious ones. Anyway i was confused by that as ive only just worked this out, i dont think the dealer who sold it to me knew this information tbh as he wasnt very bright. Long story short its a 56 plate car with someone elses private plate making it look like a 54 plate.

The DVLA are correct and my tax band is correct and was charged correctly, but i think the dealer has done himself out of a few quid by selling it to me billed as a 54 plate car due to not doing his research. And now ive re-read the cars V5 and other info which has confirmed this. I apologise for taking up anybodies time i shouldve re-checked this before posting. My mistake. Apologies.

Jamie

Jaguar S-Type VED Mistake? - unthrottled

Bad luck Jamie.

I'm not sure the dealer was being incompetent. A saving of £200 VED would (for me at least) make the 54 plate more attractive than the 56.

Possibly, he mightve already known. Ive dealt with him before as i took on some of his excess stock a while back but its the first car ive bought off him. On one hand the 56 plate is newer and would therefore you'd think be worth more but a 54 plate has a lower tax rate (for now at least, the Government in 2009 said it was a 'relief' rate, not permanent).

Im not too bothered as i initially thought it was £460 anyway, wrongly, due to wrong information online. It didnt make the 54 more attractive to me personally because i had incorrect info. but at the end of the day i budgeted for top whack and thats what i ended up paying.

Edited by jamie745 on 06/08/2011 at 17:06

Jaguar S-Type VED Mistake? - Trilogy

jamie, I've seen a gold 53 plate today and a 55 which looked like the sporty one as it was lacking chrome. Both were on the A143.

Good for you. But the sudden appearence of all the S-Type's is really annoying. It was supposed to be exclusive dammit!! LOL!

The 'sporty one' would be the V8 model, was it going incredibly quickly?

Jaguar S-Type VED Mistake? - Trilogy

No, it was in a 30 mph limit. Later this afternoon a twit in an Audi S3 went past about 5 cars, where there was solid hatching on a junction. Must have been doing about 90-100 mph!

Edited by Avant on 07/08/2011 at 00:12

Even im not that careless! I'd have kept it down to around 80 to be civilised and reasonable.

Despite the tax mixup though (my fault really, shouldve read through this stuff earlier, a former car dealer really should know better) the fact i am paying the top rate of tax gives me a very nice warm feeling inside that im annoying Greenpeace.

Jaguar S-Type VED Mistake? - corax

No, it was in a 30 mph limit. Later this afternoon a twit in an Audi S3 went past about 5 cars, where there was solid hatching on a junction. Must have been doing about 90-100 mph!

Typical Audi driver these days. They have taken over from BMW as the red braced hooligans. With their daytime running LED's shouting "Get out of my way, I have an important appointment - I need to feed the dog".

This is great news in many ways because it means the rest of us can now have a good BMW and it wont make us knobs :)