Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - StopLickingTheDog

I admit to knowing next to nothing about cars, so buying one is a complete minefield to me.

If I give a brief description I wonder if anyone can point out any glaringly obvious reasons why I shouldn't buy it.

• 2003 Rover 25 1.4 iL
  • 36,000 miles. Not sure how many owners. Stamps in the service book stop at 17,000 miles (should this ring alarm bells?)
  • As far as I know all the MOTs are present although I haven't looked at them all to check the mileage at each test.
  • The website price is £1585 although when I went to look at it today they've got it priced at £1695 in the window. If I were to go for it I'd obviously expect them to honour the price on their website.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could offer advice or prompt me with questions to ask the dealer.

Thank you very much.

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - Vitesse6

The lack of servicing is a worry, these are prone to head gasket problems and if it hasn't been looked after it could be on it's way out which will be expensive.

Look up the HJ car reports pages for more info.

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - Armstrong Sid

The lack of mileage would also worry me a bit. It's 2003 and only done 36,000 miles. If that's real then it means it has only been doing around 4,500 a year. It may have only been used on short runs and hardly ever been up to working temperature

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - oldroverboy

Be aware that the car will be worth nothing if it has the head gasket failure problems, please consult the austin rover and mg rover forums, there is a nice bit about the k series if you simply google special k k series engine. plug leads will cost you a small fortune, not forgetting that you will only have the sale of goods act on your side. Just from my own previous experience of these engines (as a parts manager) since 1990 I would NOT recommend anyone to buy one of these cars at this age.

It might look nice, but please take care................................

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - bonzo dog

The low mileage would make me cautious but that's all.

Ask for the log book & contact the last owner. If he verifies the mileage it sounds a good car for the money.

I would ask for a new MOT & make sure that the dealer doesn't try to sell it as a trade sale (yes, I know the dealer can't do this leaglly but why ask for trouble!)

Good luck

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - unthrottled

I'm not fan of the 25 since it was fairly dated dated when it was launched, but I'm going to stick up for the old K engine.

Yes, it had a reputation for blowing head gaskets. It was gardly the first engine to develop an affinity for this. I also have a car with an engine that is touted to blow the head gasket as soon you turn the ignition key. 4 1/2 years ago, it went. To be fair, the engine had overheated, so it wasn't entirely the fault of the design. Replaced the gasket with a gasket only, reused the stretch bolts (naughty!) and it's been fine ever since. Not the death sentence it's reckoned to be.

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - GazNicki

Personally not for me. Rover do have a reputation for blowing head gaskets. There are the ones out there that last for years without problem, but it has more blowing gaskets than it has not.

The low mileage could be alarm bells, but it could mean a little old dear had the car last. It could have been a glorified shopping trolley. This could be good, but could be bad if the car has never had a decent run.

What do you intend to use the car for? If you plan on using it for Motorway miles and a Daily Commute, I would look elsewhere. You can get a lot more car for over £1500 these days. It may be low mileage, but it isn't a car with a great reputation. If you plan on using it for basically going to the shops or town, and you don't plan on heavy or long runs - I am sure it will serve you very well. But if you plan on hitting the motorway - consider an alternative.

For that kind of mileage, I would like to see no more than 2 owners with the latest (or both) being either elderly or lady owners who used the car as a means of doing the weekly shop.

Edited by GazNicki on 27/07/2011 at 15:45

The K engine is more tolerent than most when it comes to short journey duties. It warms up very quickly. In the Freelander, the K was overworked, but it should be ok in a little 25.

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - jamie745

There is also the pertinent issue of it being a Rover which has to be high up on the list of reasons to not buy it.

Thats like saying you don't buy a car becuase it's French. Simply becuase it is a Rover means nothing. I had an R-Reg Range Rover 4.6V8 which shared many parts of the Engine with Rover (alot of the parts sported the Rover Emblem) and it was an awesome machine.

It's the engine that is the problem, not the badge. I personally wouldn't go for the K Series Engine, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't touch Rover or anything related to it.

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - jamie745

Simply becuase it is a Rover means nothing.

The day when i buy a Rover is the same day i have a pension booklet to go with it.

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - madf

Obsolete model made by a manufacturer who went bust and whose quality went down the pan in the end.

Engine reputation well deserved for failures.

No services for 20k miles.

Highly priced.

Need I say more? Buy it if you like overpaying for what is likely to be trouble or cut the price to what it's worth.. £1k.. keaving £500 for emergencies..

Personally I'd runaway: obviously other answerers have a rosy view of carp.

Edited by madf on 27/07/2011 at 19:10

I don't have a rosy view of carp; I just don't jump on the lazy, clicheed K series=instant head gasket failure band wagon. There are enough of these cars still trundling around which must be providing their drivers with cheap, reliable motoring since there is no economic case to be made for expensive repairs on a car with virtually no market value.

I wouldn't pay a premium for a low mileage car and I agree that this example is overpriced. But if a 25 came up at the right price, it would be silly to dismiss it out of hand.

Like I said, I run a car which is scorned for being unreliable. But the b***** thing has outlived many cars from 'reliable' marques.

Edited by unthrottled on 27/07/2011 at 19:37

Agreed it is an "old mans cars" but I won't avoid Rover, MG or any other marque based on the brand simply through badge. A Rover isn't a brand I would look at though admitidly - but it was once british so it deserves an iota of respect ... surely?

Rover 25 1.4 iL - Any reason why I shouldn't buy this car? - mss1tw

The K engine is more tolerent than most when it comes to short journey duties

A friend had an MG ZR 1.4 that used to drink oil when used for lots of little runs. On longer trips it seemed to be OK.