Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - guygamps

Hi, What is the forums advice about buying a used car of the type with a folding metal roof.

I am looking at early examples of the latest C70 (if you follow), since they are getting to be quite reasonably priced. But nervous of the roof mechanism being faulty

How can you check? sure you can take it for a test drive, but what are the signs the roof might leak. Wind noise? If it is raining you could feel around for water coming in, but if dry would you think it reasonable to ask the seller if you could put it through a carwash?

HJ review of the C70 says the mechanism is very very complicated and likely to go wrong, but then again reviews of the far simpler VW Eos, say that it is almost impossible to get one where the roof doesn't leak so a simpler mechanism seems no better.

Now that the C70 folding roof has been out a while, what is the experience of the industry on them.

GUY

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - TeeCee

I can see why a seller might object to having it taken through a carwash, but I cannot think of a good reason for them refusing to allow a bucket of water to be chucked over it.

Apart from the fact that they already know that the roof leaks of course.......

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - jamie745

I dont think leaking is something you need to be concerned with. The roof itself on the C70 is a very well built unit, the problems have come from iffy electrics and people have occasionally been left with a roof which wont go up or down. Just make sure you test it a few times on the day.

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - barney100

I've had a convertible for three years and the roof has never leaked even though the cat is 11 years old.

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - Alby Back

even though the cat is 11 years old.

Good age for a cat that.

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - Avant

Guy - if you're not sure about folding metal roofs, have a look for an Audi convertible (A3, A4.A5, or TT): all have fabric roofs which don't leak and don't take up much, if any, room in the boot.

whats the forums thinking on fabric roofs and outdoor storage (don't have a garage)

a) security - b) long term exposure to the elements

GUY

Any forum members bought a folding tintop generation C70 and want to write a user report ??

GUy

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - bazza

Have owned a ragtop MX5, which was a few years old when I had it. I always thought the mechanism was so simple and effective, it was a work of art - nothing at all to go wrong compared to the electric metal folding types. Things to check are the obvious ones such as physical damage to the fabric and signs of leakage/smells/stains inside.I treated mine with a proofer called "Renovo" which had the same effect as Nikwax on a waterproof jacket and made the rain "bead" off. It was kept outside and never leaked.

On cold mornings it could feel slightly cold to the touch inside until it warmed through. Also, it's much noisier than a hard top. Other than that, great, i would have another one.

I also would be nervous of a folding metal roof, the bill would be horrendous if it siezes or fails! Keep it simple I say!

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - unthrottled

The tin top is a mystery to me. If you don't like convertibles, why not buy...er an ordinary car? The soft top has shortcomings, but the tin top has the same shortcomings-and then some.

The cloth roofed cars are an easy target for vandalism, one knife slash and your roof is done for, its louder at speed, more flimsy, older ones are prone to sagging. A metal tin top one means it can be essentially a normal car for winter but a convertible for summer, a brilliant idea. When they get over some electrical issues, like the SLK appears to have mostly done so, it'll be good.

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - unthrottled

A friend's Audi A4 soft top isn't noisy at all at speed

Metal ones still lose result in lose of structural rigidity and are very bulky and heavy. They take up a lot of boot space, and the lines of the roof itself or the rear end of the car are pretty ugly.

You also lok a bit of a ostentatious p****** as the roof goes through its folding sequence. You may as well shout: "I'm an empty nester who is too old for a proper rag top but needed something to spend my lump sum on".

The vandalism is a point, but unless you live in Liverpool, it shouldn't be much of an issue. :)

Most folding roof cars are extremely heavy, with the strengthening beams through the panels and the sheer weight of the mechanisms to power the roof which does blunt performance some what but to me, having an open top car is all about having an open top car, if you want performance get something else. That is more relevant to things like the C70 which really does need a 3.5 or something in the range to make it shift properly. The SLK, purpose built as a convertible roadster handles these issues much better.

But i'd always take a metal roof over a folding one, like the BMW 6 series is hideously over priced considering it comes with cloth for a roof.

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - bazza

Biggest problem for me was that most of the time the weather was cr****y so the roof was up, which sort of defeated the point of having it in the first place! And when the weather was nice, I would usually be on my bike anyway! But very occasionally, the weather, the time, the road and the journey all came together to make it worthwhile, but it wasn't very often!

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - Bobbin Threadbare

I would have thought that the weather in the UK is quite suitable for a convertible; if you live somewhere hot then you'll want the roof up and the aircon on to cool you down if you're driving around town (not so much on the motorway as the wind will buffet you a bit).

Volvo C70 - Buying a used folding tintop coupe - Slightlyfatdirector

Hi Guy,

Have just bought my wife an Eos. Fab car. Room for 4, big boot with room up, respectable for a quick supermarket shop when it's down.

I had the same fear as you have regarding the roof's, almost to the point of not getting the car, but the test drive proved ours OK (tight bends, rough roads, etc). Had been raining all day before we saw the car and no leaks. I have bought a seal cleaning / conditioning kit from VW (£7) and this is what I am told on other forums will keep the sqweaks at bay.

If there was a problem in the future, for sure there will be plenty of people out there with cures. Just look at how many of these type of cars are out there, Peugeot, Renault, Volvo, VW, etc.

I don't doubt that some people have had problems, and I am sympathetic. It is like the story of restaurant experiences though. 100 people hear of a bad experience, just a handful hear of a good one. Ours is a good one.

Drove from Sussex to Wilts to collect my daughter from her grandma's after a weeks hols. Drove all the way there in the Eos with the roof down. Great, little buffeting, even when using a few more of the 200 horses, and then when I got there I put the roof up and the boot swallowed tons of stuff. Two large suitaases and dozens of other bags, hard and soft. Still had room left for more. Car handled as well roof up or down. Well pleased.

Thanks SFD

I still love the XJS, and err between wanting to change it and absolutely NOT! NEVER!

right now it is on EBAY and a couple of other sites tentatively, at top dollar, no rush to sell, and won't do so for anything other than the right price,

A folding tin top would be top of the list, since it would IMMEDIATELY stop the grumbling from some around me and providing it seats 4, and goes well, should still put a smile on my face.

Contact me privately if you want an update on the XJS story, I am not putting much up on forums these days about it.

G