Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - Sequin123

Hi, could someone help me with unscrambling the car allowance Vs company car debate!. Heres my situation.

My salary is 50k and I currently opt for a car allowance of 5k, get a monthly travel allowance for petrol of £230 gross paid into my salary and claim the tax relief on an annual basis on business mileage approx £1500 per annum.

This car allowance currently funds my current car (personal loan) and the loan is coming to an end and my plan is to upgrade car again (as I do every 4 years) financed through a personal loan and equity from current car

However I have now gone to a new project and my business mileage will increase to 23k plus personal.

I am know thinking I might be better off with a company car - they currently offer bmw 3 series or Audi A4. I appreciate I will lose the car allowance in my salary, and will get taxed on BIK for company car but not sure where to start on a calculation to see which option would be more cost effective.

Can I still claim the tax relief if I have a company car as that was a nice little summer bonus that I didnt realise I could claim until this year!

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks !

Edited by Avant on 13/07/2011 at 23:54

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - JOGON

Not just a 'maths' assessment. The car allowance/own car route all goes to cr*p if a car piles into yours. The company car route avoided a £340 tyre bill for us last weekend and gives peace of mind/hassle free-ness. The company car route means being taxed (much more fairly these days). Sad if you are only granted BMW or AUDI though suspect that's what most folks want. Have a play on http://www.comcar.co.uk/dir1in.cfm We ran through all of that too but as a company car (rather than private buy) the Toyota Prius T Spirit won on a) not paying much tax b) cheap at the pumps and c) loaded with kit.

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - Craigdm

50K a year and doesn 't know the difference between 'know' and 'now'.... This country really is in a mess !

Anyway, I'm on 6 figures and we advise all managers earning over 45K to take the car allowance. Obviously there are many variables in this, so it's just a matter of sitting down and doing the sums.

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - cilvilservant

£50k a year and cannot do the simple arithmetic...

Obviously this all depend on what car you would buy yourself, and factor in the running costs (servicing, insurance, tyres, etc), also factor in a contingency fund for "emergencies" and paying the loan. Oh, not to mention the depreciation.

Then calculate an alternative scenario whereby you forego the allowance and pay BIK on a compaby car - do you have a choice in the specification? If so, optional extras are added on to the BIK tax too.

Oh, and if you lose your job, you have no car.

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - oldtoffee

Maths not my strong point but you're clearing around £480 a month with tax refunds, car and fuel allowances. Not enough to buy on finance an A4 or 3 series unless you get £10k+ trade in on your car.

If you want that type of car then do it on a company car scheme. A 320d efficicient dynamics is £125 a month BIK. Sell your car, use the cash to buy some News International shares. No brainer.

You won't get your tax refund when you switch to a company car but you should be able to claim 15p a mile from your employer for fuel (any more and the difference is taxable) and if you potter along n the inside lane in a 320d at 50+mpg you'll make a couple of pence a mile profit.

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - JOGON

50K a year and doesn 't know the difference between 'know' and 'now'.... This country really is in a mess !

Anyway, I'm on 6 figures and we advise all managers earning over 45K to take the car allowance. Obviously there are many variables in this, so it's just a matter of sitting down and doing the sums.

Could've been a tpyo, enve I od thme?

Actually no - you're right, we're in a mess and that is p**ss poor.

S'pose 'Teachers' have come through 'ungifted', at a recent music event the Female Head of Music at a Competition shouted to the gathered 14 year olds that "If anyone needs to lend a music stand they're at the back". She meant 'borrow' but hey, this is Blair/Browns Britain and hard to unpick the waste.

Edited by Jog-on on 13/07/2011 at 22:21

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - jamie745

Yeah because Blair and Brown made the head of music thick didnt they? Sometimes depends on accents too, in certain places they use different words. To say "lend a music stand" when you mean borrow sounds very Essex-like to me. The same as some places up north which have never used correct grammar, but its been that way since long before Mr Blair came along. Theres many legitimate things to blame Tony Blair for without inventing false ones.

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - Avant

One other factor in favour of a company care is that you expect to do anything up to 30k a year (i.e.including a reasonable amount of private mileage). Your own car will lose more value and be harder to PX if it's got a high mileage.

Try a 320d or A4 2.0 TDI (170 bhp if you can get it) and see which you prefer - it very much depends on your driving style and isn't the walkover for the 320d that motoring magazines would have you believe.

If most of your mileage is in town the Prius makes sense, but presumably it isn't as 23k a year in town would be one hell of a job!

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - Sequin123

Morning and thank you for your replies, much appreciated. And a spell check thrown in for free :-)

I found the website you recommended helpful. Due to my mileage I think I will need to update my car every 4 years at the latest so based on this will always need to have some kind of finance in place to fund a car so based on this, and the calculations from the website comcar.

Car Allowance: Take Home Pay Minus car loan = £2950

Company Car: Take Home Pay (with extra tax @ £120 PCM) = £2830

So essentially will be £120 better off if I have a car allowance but obviously need to factor in running costs, depreciation etc. I did have a look on the AA website to see how to work out running costs, anyone recommend any others?

There doesnt seem to be much in it after I add in running costs but I keep thinking well at the end of the 4 years I will have equity in a car which I wont with a company car but then if I change my car every 4 years is that really an issue?

I do appreciate you advice, go easy on me eh!

Thanks!

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - Ethan Edwards

I would think that speaking to an accountant would be the thing to do. Surely [prefereable to spreading really quite personal information internationally on the web.

Earning a little less than yourself (but with some BTL property issues) even I have an accountant. I've found their services invaluable.

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - jamie745

If you're self employed a good accountant can often save you in tax what they charge you for their services.

Should I Opt Out of Car Allowance for Co Car? - concrete

Hello Sequin123, at 23K miles per annum you can claim £7750 in mileage. Also your tax code would be 747. It is a no brainer. Keep out of the company scheme. If you have paid for the car, keep it a further couple of years to build up some cash. You can average £645 per month in mileage and all you need do is service once a year, put in the diesel and possibly replace a couple of tyres. Factor in tax and insurance and if you have a decent motor it should not cost you more then £320 per month. You do not need to be a genius to work out you are over £300 per month better off. Stick that into a regular savings account with the best rate of interest you can find and watch it grow. I opted out as soon as I could. My car is now 6 and has 128K and goes like a dream. The garage tell me it should do starship mileage if I look after it. It was paid for years ago and is now a cash cow. Also my income tax is less beacuse of I enjoy the full tax code. When the car gives up, then I start all over again. Think about it. Good luck. Concrete