Peugeot 307 SW S HDi 110 - Battery going flat due to cooling fan running on? - SaintJacko

My car battery was flat a couple of mornings ago. On further investigation it seems that this was caused by the cooling fan running on and then not switching off over night.

A diagnostic test at Kwik Fit has identified an intermittent fault on a 'coil' adjacent to the radiator cooling fan. He has got a price for the part from Peugeot and has told me it will cost £157 to repair. He also did a reset on the system and has indicated that this might sort the problem for a while at least.

Would you happen to know the proper name for this coil that he mentions, can it be obtained from another source than Peugeot for less than this and how easy is it to replace? Also, is it a problem that is likley to recur again soon?

Basically I want to know if £157 is a fair price or if I could get it done cheaper elsewhere and also whether it is a job that is urgent.

Thanks for any advice or help you can give!! :)

Peugeot 307 SW S HDi 110 - Battery going flat due to cooling fan running on? - Collos25

Why not go to Peugeot and price the part youself if as I think its a sensor then you are being charged a lot of money.

Peugeot 307 SW S HDi 110 - Battery going flat due to cooling fan running on? - Paulhe

I would have thought more likely that the thermostatic fan switch was faulty, and is not expensive to replace.

Previous advice in going to a Peugeot dealer for advice / part seems much better than what Kwick Fit seems to be offering

Peugeot 307 SW S HDi 110 - Battery going flat due to cooling fan running on? - Victorbox

You went to Kwik-Fit for a diagnostic?! Tyres would be all I'd trust them with and that's only if I watch the fitter like a hawk.

Peugeot 307 SW S HDi 110 - Battery going flat due to cooling fan running on? - windy1603

If your car is the FAP (Diesel Particulate Filter Model) this is a common sign of failed regen cycle. Could be due to low additive, bocked filter or all short jorney driving. give the car a good blast on a dual carrageway etc at about 50 in 4th gear for 10+ min or you may need to have a forced regen done on the car (dealer or gararge with the correct diag tool)

Peugeot 307 SW S HDi 110 - Battery going flat due to cooling fan running on? - brayer

if you have the 1.6 hdi 110 not the 2 litre it is common for the cooling fans to run for up to 10 minutes after switching off the ignition depending if a regeneration was taking place for the FAP even after a short trip.it is designed to cool the fap and cat. there is a download for the engine ecu availible for some variants which makes the fan run on slow speed instead of high speed,if you have a weak battery it is possible for the fan on high speed to flatten the battery in 10 minutes. It may be that the combined fan relay and resistor next to the fan is sticking which will also cause the fan to stay on,also if the download is carried out the part number of the relay unit will have to be checked as it may need to be replaced anyway to be compatible with the new software.