Volkswagen Golf III - cam belt replacement and correct timing. - dans2e

Hi, im a member of various forums to which this is posted and im still having no luck

about 2 months ago now my cam belt went on me as i was pulling out of a junction.
i bought a new belt kit got the cam to tdc and the crank, fitted the belt and would not start, run or idle
so i bought a new head off of ebay and fitted it new headgasket and proceeded to time it up as normal, managed to get it to run using the throttle but still would not idle and the timing was out as it was backfiring up the intake, numerous days and hours spent adjusting timing and still no improvement

i went back to my old head, stripped it and to my astonishment none of my valves were bent, so i cleaned the head up and the valves, reseated them into the head and put everything back together.
another headgasket went on, got the head back on and it still does not want to know.

iv been shown various diagrams on the timing, firstly my cam sprocket is marked up with a blue notch with O and T either side which is ligning up with same thing on the rocker cover

the crank however does not have a notch on it so im using the markings inside the bellhousing, im using the small punch mark to the right of the diamond 6o BTDC mark.

as for my aux shaft sprocket, this is exactly the same as the cam sprocket, same O T marking and a small punch mark.

All your help would be great as i really needed my car back on the road 7 weeks ago

its a 1993 mk3 golf gti 2e engine code

noone able to help on this issue????
Volkswagen Golf III - cam belt replacement and correct timing. - 659FBE

I've just changed a cambelt on an ABS engine fitted to a '94 Passat. It may be similar to the 2E engine - but I'm not an expert on petrol engines - diesels only for me. I hope the following may help, but it's not definitive.

I had no problems whatever, but I can see how timing errors could easily occur. TDC crank can be observed at the flwheel through the bung hole in the bell housing. TDC cam is marked - notch or punch mark on the wheel, arrow at the top of the housing.

The problem is the jackshaft which drives the distributor - which obviously must be correctly timed. The "help the mechanic" division of VAG put the timing mark for the jackshaft on the crank pulley - which you have to remove to do the job. Sheer genius.

Bosch to the rescue. If you take the cap off the distributor, there is a line scribed on the edge of the housing corresponding to the firing point of cyl No. 1 - which will be very near TDC. The rotor arm will be pointing to this mark when the engine is so positioned. Using this line, you can easily set the belt position as a 1 tooth error will cause noticable misalignment of the distributor marks.

A further good reason for using these marks is that somebody may in the past have removed the distributor, refitted it one tooth out on the skew gear and set the cambelt position incorrectly to compensate for the error. As these engines correct their own timing error - within limits - this may go unnoticed.

Set the belt correctly using all of VAG's timing marks, then check the distributor position as detailed above. It may be out by a tooth.

cheers for the reply, yeah iv been keeping the rotar lined with that notch, iv just got to wait for my neighbour to get home so i can use his car to jump mine

i know that the compression was sweet as a nut because i ran one of them tests too

i have read somewhere that when the crank is at tdc the 4 allen bolts that hold the pas and drive belt assembly will be at 12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock, yet mine are slightly off

[img]faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech...g[img] in this pic the bloke says that this is 6deg btdc yet mine at the bellhousing is saying tdc

confused!!! lol