any - Big barges at bargain basement ? - motorprop

When I was an impressionable lad, my Ist job bosses ran W126 Mercedes 420 / 500 SE , around D/E reg, and were hugely impressive ( not the bosses, two charlatans who took down small banks and knocked everybody )

Have noticed of late that the very top of the range 500 / 560 SEL of 1991 / 1992 vintage, the last year made , are selling for £1500 / £2500 for ' immaculate ' around 130 k mile examples . Unless it's a dog, how can you go wrong - I reckon these are the Grossers of the future. Am very tempted

Am trying to sell my W107 300 SL of 1989 - to free up dough and garage space. Anybody agree on the merits ?

any - Big barges at bargain basement ? - gordonbennet

two charlatans who took down small banks and knocked everybody )

Knocking off small banks...an interesting career indeed....:-)

I too like the 126's, certainly at the very bottom of their market now, they are about the last S class with pure MB lines, from a time maybe when MB made individual cars and if you wanted something fashionable you bought from elsewhere.

They are not a particularly complicated car at least in the electrical dept, but the can and do suffer rust, and in common with almost every other car on the road the first owners will not have worried about years of salt encrusted on the unprotected underside. The first signs of which will be the front wings rotting above the wrap around front bumper line.

I'm inclined to think the SEC's will fare better for retaining value in old age, and possibly the very top range SEL's, the smaller engined downspecced SE's maybe won't.

Good luck with finding a well maintained and unmolested example, that will be the big problem.

any - Big barges at bargain basement ? - Ethan Edwards

Sounds OK , just a thought do you know MB are well suited to running on LPG. Try to find one already converted.

So cheap to run (except for the RFL tax) and throw in cheap classic insurance and your looking at some bargain motoring.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 15/06/2011 at 11:55

any - Big barges at bargain basement ? - Roly93

These cars are cheap for a reason, ie they are so stuffed with technical extras and features only found on this model, that any reliability hiccup gets very expensive very fast. Most cars these days are tough for the DIY mechanic, but these are a nightmare, and garage servicing isn't going to be cheap.

any - Big barges at bargain basement ? - unthrottled

ditto the BMW 7 series. IMO, more elegant and better drivers than the despot special Benz. Cheap to buy but any major electrical problem basically condemns them.

Nah , the 7 series beemers have major latent faults ( cylinder bore liners and suspect ECU's ) , the MB are rock solid in engineering respects , only potentially failing on electricals which aren't usually terminal . These are the creme of the last engineered MBs , astronomical costs to buy new , now virtually given away - am looking

The SEC coupes around here are all lowered, dark glass pimp mobiles with Halfords alloys

any - Big barges at bargain basement ? - unthrottled

That's not entirely fair. The V8s had a porosity problem with nikasil blocks and high sulphur fuel. The old 'big sixes' weren't affected.

any - Big barges at bargain basement ? - madf

If you want BIG and releaible electrics, hard to beat a Lexus LS400...

any - Big barges at bargain basement ? - Gotanoldhondar

.....or a Honda Legend.

any - Big barges at bargain basement ? - Pizza man

If you want BIG and releaible electrics, hard to beat a Lexus LS400...

Got to agree, got mine 3 years ago for £800 converted it to LPG covered 35k since, never misses a beat, just fitted a towbar for a caravan, went to download last weekend you'd never know it was towing.

do me a fav - Honda and Toyota - no presence and more dodgy plastic than in Nigeria