Ford Mondeo 2.5 Ghia x - Starting Problems - Scott-Gibbs

Hi folks,

I went to start my car the other morning and to my dissapointment it gave back nothing but the sound of a struggling starter. I bump started the car and all was well. The strange thing is it remained well for the rest of the day and the following morning. Then the day after that hopped in again... nothing. So I then bumped it again, same thing happened started fine then carried on running for the rest of the day no problem.

My question is what the hell is wrong with it haha.

Any help would be great, I have a feeling its the alternator but rather get some more opinions before i run out and buy one.

Scott

Ford Mondeo 2.5 Ghia x - Starting Problems - unthrottled

If the alternator was knackered, what powers the spark plugs? More than likely your battery has dried up. You might get away with topping up with water-more than likely, exposing the cells to air has irreparably damaged them and you'll need a new battery.

Ford Mondeo 2.5 Ghia x - Starting Problems - Scott-Gibbs

Thanks for the advice! I've just tested the alternator and its working perfect. I then looked over to the battery and realised its not a sealed unit so its probably as old asa the car so I will top it up see if I can get away with not forking out £100 that halfords seem to charge only me haha.

Ford Mondeo 2.5 Ghia x - Starting Problems - TeeCee

If it's that knackered the plates will have sulphated and topping it up won't help. Might get you through the summer, but you'll be in the merde come the first cold snap later.

If Halfords want 100 quid for a battery, take that as a hint to go somewhere else. Try your local friendly auto spares shop, you'll almost certainly get a better deal.