Peugeot 406 Hd1 2.2 2002 filling the Eolys tank - Filling 406 HDI Eolys tank - skipperstu

Done 62k miles and the dreaded "diesel fuel additive minimum level" message came up along with the particulate filter light on the top right hand side of the speedo dash.

I bought some fluid off http://www.clickcarparts.co.uk/ for £112 for 4.5 ltrs and then had to find out where to put it!

I knew it was in the area near the rear offside wheel. I took the wheel off and spotted it straight away, a plastic tank strapped on the under side of the main diesel tank. It had a plastic tube, about 10mm, coming from it going under the plastic wheel liner. I also spotted a "knob" on the side, facing the wheel. It had two white "squeezy" tabs. I squeezed the tabs and pulled. The knob then came off leaving a "stub" with a hole in the middle. I put a wire in side to check it went inside the tank and sure enough it did. I took the wheel arch liner off to check out the smaller tube. It had a one way valve on the end and I was sure it was a breather. I then thought how to get the gallon container of liquid in thru the hole. I had a 1 liter empty gearbox oil container, the one with a tube on the end for squeezing oil in. I cleaned this out with petrol and dried it. I decanted the jollop, a liter at a time, with the gear oil container, in to the plastic tank. It took all the fluid. I then replaced everything and fired the engine up. The messages still came up so I took it to the local mechanic who had a machine for checking the codes and he reset the counter on the tank. A result!

Basically the jollop goes in the side of the tank, not thru the breather as some have suggested

Peugeot 406 Hd1 2.2 2002 filling the Eolys tank - Filling 406 HDI Eolys tank - Collos25

Excellent report, you can buy very cheaply a special filler pipe that fits on the pipe and onto the container with the new oil that has a pumping mechanism built in .

Peugeot 406 Hd1 2.2 2002 filling the Eolys tank - Filling 406 HDI Eolys tank - dieselnut

I used to have a 2001 C5 with the same engine & did the same as you, except I didn't bother to have the Eolys counter reset. I found that the fluid still pumps through & continued to for the following year that I owned the car.

Usually the particle filter will start to get full of burnt soot at about the same time & engine will eventually go into limp mode.

If you do a forum search there is info on how to jet out the old filter & re-use, rather than forking out for a costly dealer exchange particle filter.

Peugeot 406 Hd1 2.2 2002 filling the Eolys tank - skipperstu

The guy that had it before me was an old gimma, caravan club etc. It had done 48k miles. The first time I did a long journey, it came up with emission control fault, went in to limp mode for a while. Then it started working OK. I drive fast and hard. I think the filter had been blocked with gimma driving! Since then its been burned clean!

Stu