any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - 1litregolfeater

A green plastic 5 litre can like you get everywhere, that is known as a gallon.

Last time I filled one it was a fiver.

Today £8.80, admittedly it was high octane stuff to dilute all that blooming diesel

And I overfilled it a bit

So £8 a gallon, at that price I can't afford to drive a car any more

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - Bobbin Threadbare

Just don't even think about it :-(

I have only been driving 3 years and I could fill my car up for £38 to the brim then. Now it's a slightly bigger tank but costs me £80. I do 17-20k miles per year as well. That's a big reason why I am quitting and training to do something else!

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - veryoldbear

When I first started driving it was four gallons for a quid, and I was earning about one grand per annum. Now I'm retired with a total pension of about 25 grand. I suppose it all figures somehow .... sigh ....

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - richmurr

my car is just for weekends now and i see it as a luxery. started riding my bike to work in september. saved £70 a month and lost 2 ana half stone so saved weight in the car to :)

get a bike and start riding. the only problem is is its addictive and you end up buying loadsa bike stuff although still saving money and not "burning" it away

My hubby just did this. He now cycles to work about 3 times a week and drives the other 2 days. He's covering about 60 miles on the work trip on the bike. He bought a very nice Giant roadbike, clippy pedals etc. I am considering it too; the cycle lane on our main road is quite decent and I would happily tootle into town on it, as long as I wasn't going to buy too many pair of shoes obviously :-P

It does appear to be addictive too!

If I stopped using my car it'd save me about £4k a year, but I love driving!

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - Ethan Edwards

Which is why I run my two cars on LPG. 73.9 a litre last night. I only need to buy petrol once every three to five months and then only to keep it topped up. I had a 5p a litre coupon from Tescos last week. In three months I used 6.68 litres of unleaded, using the car every day 75miles a day round trip. Sure I use a lot of LPG but it's half price motoring.

It's a shame Tesco round where I live do NOT sell LPG. The do in one location that I know of in Herts but not nr Southend.

The shine on all this may well wear off once the Chancellor starts to gouge us LPG'ers like the rest of you lot. Meanwhile I'm enjoying half price motoring.

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - turbo11

I had to fill up my lawnmower last week and put £7.70 in my green can.If I had to hand over £70 in banknotes every week I fill up my car , rather than stick it on my credit card then I think I would weep. It has got ridiculous. I would love to be able to cycle to work, but dropping the children off at nursery would be difficult and my 20 mile commute on high speed rural roads would not be fun. Also I would need a bath or shower, by the time I had reached work.

At least the roads do appear to be quieter. Some people must be getting priced off the roads.

What mpg is a lawnmower, out of interest? My garden is flagged so I can't experiment.

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - turbo11

What mpg is a lawnmower, out of interest? My garden is flagged so I can't experiment.

I don't know, but I have a reasonably large garden front and back and my new Honda mower needs re filling every second cut.

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - unthrottled

Asda-£1.34/litre and 4.5 litres/gallon= £6.08p/gallon...

If you bought a gallon of fuel at £8, it must have cost £1.78/litre. Methinks you were ripped off.

LPG is a good bit cheaper-but it does have about 25% less energy on a volumetric basis, so it's about 95p/litre on an equivalent basis to petrol. Still good but the payback time for a £2000 conversion is long.

I find that that the reduced number of cars on the road is more than counteracted by the number of people driving painfully slowly. Crawling away from traffic lights, tootling at 40 in a 60 zone etc.

I used to cycle to work-damn saddle wore out every pair of trousers at the crotch (don't dwell on it but bear it in mind!). Now I see why people wear cycling trousers.

Quote- payback time for a £2000 conversion is long

Indeed but I only paid £791 for mine in Apr 10 (950 today - same bloke in Herts) and with my mileage...it took me just nine months.

Four years ago my Xtrail conversion cost £1600 - the cost to convert has fallen substantially. Prices are for a 4 cyl car and with the latest sequential injection technology...suitable for 80% of petrol cars on the road today. 6 and 8 cyl would cost more of course.

2010 N Note 1.6 Auto -I get on average 32mpg on LPG whereas on Unleaded according to the trip computer s/b 41mpg. So 25% less mileage is a tad pessimistic. It's not going to be a good choice for people who only use a car to do lots of very short trips (use a pushbike for those!) but for regular longer distance runs it's a winner as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 03/06/2011 at 12:47

41mpg-25%=31mpg. It was only a ballpark figure!

So I make it roughly 15p/mile (gasoline)

10p/mile (LPG)

Saving=5p/mile.

At £791, the payback time is 16,000 miles

at £950, the payback time is 19,000 miles.

Better than I thought!

I'm getting me a motorbike ASAP.

Also FGS Unthrottled I was eating me lunch...!

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 03/06/2011 at 14:37

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - jamie745

This "ride a bike" nonsense is all well and good for middle class teachers and the like who can do this, but what about those whose only viable mode of transport is the car? What about self employed businesses who depend on their vehicles? Are we going to tell builders and cement mixers to use a cycle? What about haulage firms paying £50million a year in diesel bills?

Its a very thin solution to a very big problem, we cannot ignore this problem and just tell people to use a bike. That just sounds like avoiding the problem and letting those responsible get away with it.

Motorbikes are indeed fun in the nice summer weather. I didn't enjoy it so much in the winter rain and snow. Snow especially as it kept obstructing my visor and closer to home the road was like a sheet of ice.

But just now I do miss my St 1100 Pan European.

I just looked at the Pan. Nice. I am going to take my test soon and I am after a Kawasaki Vulcan as it's light enough to pick back up if it falls, and the seat to ground height is quite low. Winters like the one we just had do put me off a bit though. But then you can get 100mpg out of a bike!

Wont get any mpg out of it at all if you crash into a massive snowball and end up in a hedge though.

Now I can see why you said a woman might chase you with a knife.

Theres no might about it. I seem to stir certain emotions in women, usually ones of hate. I have no idea why.

Whats that you're hiding behind your back?!

Oh nothing...just something I amazon-ed earlier.

Oh well, could be worse, had an ex girlfriend try to run me over with her Saab once.

Can you amazon Saabs?

*looks worried*

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - TeeCee

>Can you amazon Saabs?

No, only Volvos.........

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - Bedhead

I just looked at the Pan. Nice. I am going to take my test soon and I am after a Kawasaki Vulcan as it's light enough to pick back up if it falls, and the seat to ground height is quite low. Winters like the one we just had do put me off a bit though. But then you can get 100mpg out of a bike!

Riding a bike is not cheap transport uless it's a C90, My CBR1000F swallows as much fuel (if not more) as my Focus and tyres at £200 a pair, figure a rear every 5k and a front every 10k. Even my wee SV650 only averages 48mpg and is nearly as hard on tyres as the CBR.

Ah yes but the price of petrol hasn't been static in that time. However LPG has also risen but nothing like as much.

The more it goes up the faster the saving.

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - oldroverboy

we are still relatively lucky here for unleaded, recently in belgium 1.76 euros about £1.60 a litre, but diesel was about £1.22 european unleaded petrol prices coming to a pump near you soon!

Not unless the UK follows the continental petrol/diesel taxation regime-which they haven't thank God!

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - Red Baron

I think that both of you haven't got your facts right.

One of those green cans is 5.5 litres. And is the OP overfilled it, then the price comes in at £1.45 per litre.

I'd love to be able to cycle to work (they provide a shower for this) regularly. But the shortest (car) route is along the M6 and the alternative uses the A5 which would be suicidal. And the distance is 30 miles each way.

Had a colleague, once who cycled 20miles each way to work once. What he didn't pay in petrol, he spent on extra people fuel (food) and bike repairs instead.

People fuel - love it!!

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - P3t3r

A (UK) gallon is 4.546 litres. If you overfilled it then that's quite a big difference. High octane stuff costs more anyway, so it's a bit unfair.

Normal fuel is around £6 for a UK gallon.

I was going to say earlier actually that my understanding of a uk gallon was around 4.4 litres, not 6.

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - 1litregolfeater

Hi all, thanks for replying!

Without dwelling on the exact dimensions or capacity of my green 5 litre can, which indeed is not a can but a plastic container, I shall move on swiftly.

Somebody asked about the mpg of lawnmowers. I think it's pitiful, I think you get very little work out of them for the gas they guzzle. Same with all garden equipment, but until they kit them out with ECUs and EGRs and DMFs and get them made somewhere else than China, that's how it'll be. They'll cost more than £80 then though, but it'll happen. We could resort to shears and dig out the Qualcast Panther, but let's face it, the lawn is going to be growing vegetables!

Cycling is great but LPG is cheap as well, always amazes me how it hasn't caught on. LPG has been an alternative since the 70s at least, my dad had a delivery van converted to it in the 70s and it payed for itself. I wonder why it's not more popular.

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - madf

" I wonder why it's not more popular."

It's cheaper cos of lower UK tax.

It has gone nowhere cos no Government has supported it..(nad a few technical issues like burning valves, cowboy fittersetc)

Does anyone think any UK Government would be so stupid as to support LPG and reduce revenues from petrol and diesel sales?

Nope..

In no particular order.

Who do you think funded the pro LPG quango 'Powershift' then? It was HMG.

Two reasons why. LPG is actually greener than unleaded (and diesel) -less CeeOhTwo's killing Penguins and Ozones and changing the climate etc ....aaaahhhhhh (pile of poo that is!), and it produces virtually ZERO PM10's- Gasp!

Second reason - reduce imports of Oil. Though it does increase Gas imports- go figure!

Anyway mad old Bliar and Brown did give this quango lots of cash BUT the quango made getting any for your conversion very difficult indeed. Such that I reckon most went to consultants and admin ...natch. Anyway they ran out of Government cash pretty quickly. Probably some canny fleet operators got to it.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Transport-advice/Other-services/Powershift-Register

Cheaper because of lower tax - absolutely true...I'm loving it! Long may it last.

Technical issues - yes can be. The valve issue is easily overcome- it's pretty rare anyway and Flashlube is the cure..

A few cowboy fitters....yes try to use LPGA fitters. Incidentally LPG is really really popular in Poland. So if you find a UK based Polish guy chances are very good he'll be superb.

Why isn't it more popular here? My opinion - Inertia and the cost of conversion coupled with lack of information and 'urban myths' about safety and availabilty. I've used it for over four years on three vehicles with no LPG related problems covering around 70K miles on LPG in those four years. For a four cylinder car conversion should be less than £1100 and most people don't do the mileage or hang onto the same car long enough to justify the cost.

:-D I was joking about the lawnmower!

It might be worth getting a sheep - you're getting your grass trimmed, soil fertilised and feeding the sheep in one fell swoop.

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - madf

Ethan

Your message seems to be that the bodgers in charge gave the job to someone more incompetent than them.. in other words they were not serious (presumably due to revenue loss implication).

LPG has few technical merits. The only advantages lies in favourable taxation (and the considerable increase in octane number. LPG is sort of half liquid/half gas depending on the ambient temperature and this makes storage and metering a pain. You need a high pressure fuel tank to cope with summer temps and a heated nozzles to prevent icing in winter.

With the number of spark ignition engines capable of running on LPG increasing, I think it is only a matter of time before the government starts to narrow the tax anomaly.

LPG fanboys prattle on about how clean LPG is but it's not that much better than a port fuel injected petrol. PM2.5 and PM10 emissions from a port fuel injected petrol are negligible-apart from cold starts. Direct injection is a different matter...

In short there's no justification for the tax break. LPG is not a 'waste product'. It could quite easily be fed into any gas/coal fired power station.

Edited by unthrottled on 14/06/2011 at 17:54

any - Filled a can up today, £8 a gallon - barney100

Seems to me they put fuel duty up all the time so they can give money away in foriegn aid .I'm giving up my longest commute next year so they won't get the tax on the fuel or the tax on the income either. Peolpe know are thinking twice before setting out foir a motoring jaunt at weekend. What happened the the petition Quentin Wilson organized or the fuel protests? Only upside is that if you do little mileage you can buy a luxury car cheap and drive around in style.

After the protests of 2000 the law was changed to make it virtually impossible for the most important people (haulage firms) to strike. Without them on board, you cant do it. Basically if they strike they lose their operating licence, and will just leave it wide open for the Poles or whoever to come in and do it instead, so its not worth the Hauliers doing it now, despite the firm near me having a £50million diesel bill (when it was half that just four years ago).

They say the tax is to discourage use, well fuel by the litre sales have reduced in the last few years, we're selling less and less of it, and the price just keeps going up and up to cover the Governments "losses." So the idea of "use less, price comes down" is a non starter and a strawman argument put forward by the Government. The more we keep buying fuel effecient cars the more the price will rise. As is the free-to-tax cars, their higher price means they make a hefty slice from the VAT on it, they make sure they dont lose.

Edited by jamie745 on 16/06/2011 at 23:33