Peugeot 406 diesel estate 2001 - Increase power - easypeasy

Hi folks. I have a 406 diesel estate(90 bhp). I was wondering if there is any cheapish upgrade I can do to the engine to give me more power? I am just looking for a bit more as just now it is as slow as a week in the jail!! Thanks

Peugeot 406 diesel estate 2001 - Increase power - Peter.N.

I think there are chips available, have a look on ebay, but I would think you could increase it to 110 bhp by fitting an intercooler, it would probably need reprogramming though.

Peugeot 406 diesel estate 2001 - Increase power - unthrottled

An intercooler doesn't make power in itself-it just lowers the intake charge temperatures. Probably not really necessary at this power level.

Peugeot 406 diesel estate 2001 - Increase power - Collos25

Live with it or buy a faster more powerful car

Peugeot 406 diesel estate 2001 - Increase power - unthrottled

Agreed. That said, I wouldn't be too worried about squeezing a few more ponies out of an engine that has a specific output of 45hp/litre. It's when people try the same trick with an engine already making 75+hp/litre from thefactory that the alarm bells start ringing.

Peugeot 406 diesel estate 2001 - Increase power - easypeasy

Live with it or buy a faster more powerful car

If I had the money I would buy another car but I don't , hence the question!!

Peugeot 406 diesel estate 2001 - Increase power - Collos25

As of this year I believe chips are illegal in the UK if you increase the power you also increase the insurance costs its just not worth it for the little improvement you wil get on your limited budget I would forget it.