Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - parisarrantala

Due to a mishap and without comprehensive insurance I have rebuilt my Kawasaki ZX12R Model A1.
It's now running beautifully BUT the battery is not charging. It holds a charge and will jump start.
A lot of the parts I bought were 2nd hand, but I could not get a generator for this model so fitted a generator, alternator and alternator cover form a later model - Model B. The bike has the original crankshaft and standard voltage rectifier. If anyone knows of anything fairly inexpensive that I can do to get this modification to work I would be eternally grateful please. Many thanks, Max Lacey

Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - Cris_on_the_gas

Have you got a voltmeter and tried to measure the output from the alternator before it gets to the rectifier. Not entirely sure but I think you should see about 25v AC. Yep AC so make sure you've got your voltmeter set for AC not DC. If no output look at Alternator, could be brushes or open circuit windings. Brushes easy to change, windings, sorry think your looking at a new alternator

Assuming this is ok then with engine running you should see about 14V DC trying to charge the battery, measure this on the other side of the rectifier. If no output rectifier could be open circuit.

Worth trying to check with voiltmeter on AC range again, you should not see AC voltage trying to charge the battery. If so you might have a short circuit rectifier.

If rectifier is either open or short circuit then should be straightforward to get another one, although cannot understand why manufactures charge so much for what is basically a bridge rectifier which must cost pennies to produce.

good luck, and interested to see how you get on

Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - parisarrantala

Hi Cris_on_the_gas, Thanks very much for your reply. I'm writing on behalf of my son who is abroad for a few weeks. I'll send him your suggestions. As a matter of interest the first alternator he fitted (with this generator) burnt out. Could this be relevant I wonder? Valerie

Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - SteveLee

The (pre rectifier) AC voltage from the alternator should be between 85 and 120 volts at 4,000 revs.

Test the resistance between the three output wires to ensure there are no shorts.

Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - Huon.cloutier

The brake lines just need to be the correct length to match up with the attatchment point for the calipers. If you can get the radial master cylinder off the GXSR or a Zx14 to replace the Zx11 stock one as this will improve things more than the caliper swap.

Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - nalagraf

How correct the brake lines.