Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - parisarrantala

Due to a mishap and without comprehensive insurance I have rebuilt my Kawasaki bike ZX12R Model A1.
It's now running beautifully BUT the battery is not charging. It holds a charge and will jump start.
A lot of the parts I bought were 2nd hand, but I could not get a generator for this model so fitted a generator, alternator and alternator cover form a later model - Model B. The bike has the original crankshaft and standard voltage rectifier. If anyone knows of anything fairly inexpensive that I can do to get this modification to work I would be eternally grateful please. Many thanks, Max Lacey

PS I know the alternator is OK, but how do I test the generator

Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - Railroad.

You've got me confused. The alternator and generator are the same thing.

Have you got a seperate alternator and voltage regulator or is it a combined unit similar to that you'd see on a car? If they are seperate then locate the alternator which will be behind the engine cover. There will be three wires coming from it, often yellow in colour. Follow these to the voltage regulator which usually has heat fins and will be fixed to the bike frame. Seperate the plug and check for AC voltage between each of the yellow wires and earth. Since the alternator is a three-phase AC generator, start the engine and the AC voltage should rise to about 60 volts AC on each of the three phases. If you have then the alternator is working normally. At the voltage regulator you will usually see a red wire and a black wire. These are a 12 volt supply from the battery and an earth. If these are correct and the system is not charging you need to replace the voltage regulator.

Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - SteveLee

The three white wires coming out of the alternator housing should have a resistance of.3-.5 Ohms and at 4K revs should be making 85-120Volts AC between any two of the three wires.

The rectifier is fitted under the hump of the bike on the left hand side. Check the resistance of the wiring down to the alternator.

Kawasaki ZX12R - Wrong generator? - kevg

Had a similar problem with my CBR600, it was the voltage regulator. hopefully not too expensive.