Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - 6speed
Hi,

I hope someone can shed some light on the problem i am having, i dont know what to do next.

The story so far.........I just purchased a 2004 A4 TDI Avant, the air con wasn't working when i brought it but i was assured it just needed a regas , this seemed plausible as the car had not been used for over a year. On the drive home i noticed the the Econ light would not turn off and assumed this was because the gas was low.

So had it regassed last week, the garage said it had gas in already but was a little low, i agreed to have it vacumed and refiled, i was hoping that this would cure the problem.......Alas it didnt.

Next i had it scanned and it showed a fault code G65 high pressure air con switch faulty.
So off to Audi for a new one, Bargain at only £55....Not! Anyway a small price to pay for the cold air i was expecting to pour from my vents.
I had it fitted today and still the same.....No cold air. The fault code was cleared and when re scanned there is no fault showing so the G65 switch fault has gone away and the Econ light can be selected on or off, BUT the air con still doesn't work and no further fault codes are stored????

I dont know what to do next? I cant afford to put it in the dealers, I am still skint from paying for the car. Anyone got any ideas as to what is going on?

any ideas appreciated......

Thanks

6sp
Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think that the compressor/pump is faulty.These use a direct drive pump where there is no external magnetic clutch.Very common for the rotary drive coupling to fail within the pump.Not a cheap job.hth

Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - Railroad.

Do the cooling fans work when you press 'ECON' off? The air conditioning compressor will not be switched on if the fans don't work. Check the fuses and fan relay.

Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - mr spanners

i would check the pollen filter if it been sat around- those clutchless air-con pump are common but will store a fault, i've changed one on a golf before.

Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - madf

Car not used in a year = failed seals in compressor...

Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - 6speed

Thanks for all your replys,

I had some time this afternoon so had another look, i put a probe on the power supply to the compressor with the Econ light off (A/C on) and there was a live and earth, with the Econ light on (A/c off) i only get 2 earths. I guess this means the compressor is dead if power is there and it doesnt work!

Do you guys think its new compressor time??

Cheers

It does sound like it, and when you get a new one make sure you run it very frequently, or better still all the time. And before anyone says anything, I run mine on 'AUTO' all the time and notice no drop in fuel economy at all.....

Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - Collos25
Using any electrical equipment in a car has an effect on the amount of fuel the car uses if it didn´t then the world energy problem would be solved as you would have discovered perpetual motion.

I am quite aware of the first law of thermodynamics, and that a compressor will place some load on the engine both mechanically and electrically. However, I'm yet to be convinced that this would be more than the drag created when driving with the windows open, which anyone is sure to be doing if they don't have air conditioning on a hot day.

Added to this the other benefits that air conditioning has such as a fresh feel in the car, as well as keeping it dehumidified, any very slight impairment in fuel economy is a price well worth paying. But as it happens mine seems to make very little or no difference whether I use it or not .....

Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - Mil1194

TBH I have an A6 2.7T and I have noticed a v slight drop in consump. when the air-con is running but it was so minimal that we just leave it on auto anyway.

Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - Agro

Hey original poster. I have the same dang issue (I believe). I wondered what your resolution was? I believe my compressor is bad, but dont want to throw more money at it without knowing for sure.

Check out my thread if you can and give me any thoughts?

www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/477482-How-t...6

Thank you!!

Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - Peter D

Have you got a compressor with a magnetic clutch or is it the pressure controlled compressor. Your engine code would help. It is on the ID label in the service book or on the label in the spare wheel bay. Regards Peter

Audi A4 B6 - Audi A4 air con still not working....!! - Agro

compressor was shot. entire front of it where the clutch (i think it is) was on the new one i got, was not present on the old. when i took the belt off the pulley wheel just span freely, nothing gripping insid ethe compressor. total work was about an hour to swap compressor, drier and orifice tube. re-charged at my shop by me and it works great.