Volkswagen Golf Mk2 - New Brake Calipers: Use-by Dates? - Lunar

I'm interested in buying a new, genuine VW brake caliper that I've seen advertised. This is a brand bew unit, not reconditioned.

On the box, it says 'Expiry Date: April 2011'.

Even though brand new and unused, I've heard that seals in calipers can 'go off' if not used and I'm wondering if this could be the reason for the expiry date listed on the box - currently one month out of date.

Could someone confirm if this is the case and, if so, whether the caliper is is likely to be safe to use even though 'out of date'?

Any help would be appreciated.

Volkswagen Golf Mk2 - New Brake Calipers: Use-by Dates? - piston power

Buy it i buy engine parts that are new old stock and are 40 yrs old!!

Volkswagen Golf Mk2 - New Brake Calipers: Use-by Dates? - Vitesse6

I wouldn't fit one new caliper - always fit them in pairs. As I assume you have a pair on the car now, why not get them refurbished and know that they are both good?

I had my old triumph ones done by big red for £60 a side including new seals, pistons, bleed nipples and a new coat of paint.

Volkswagen Golf Mk2 - New Brake Calipers: Use-by Dates? - piston power

You can fit just one caliper just like you can one wheel cylinder but it's better to replace discs in pairs as it is pads.

Assuming the other caliper is working ok no problems.

Volkswagen Golf Mk2 - New Brake Calipers: Use-by Dates? - Lunar

Cheers everyone.

The caliper in question is being sold on eBay as what appears to be redundant stock by a VW dealer. It is approx £90 less than the normal cost.

I'm intending to replace both sides with new, genuine VW calipers. As these are quite expensive, it seems a good opportunity to get one side bought for much less cash.