Family car for 5k? - Horace12

I'm looking to get a family car for approx 5k.

Need to have a decent sized boot (bigger than my current 206 SW) and good rear legroom - I am 6'4" and so need to have the drivers seat all the way back, which means there isn't enough room behind me for a car seat, so currently whenever we go anywhere baby number 1 is in the front passenger seat, with baby number 2 behind her in the back and my wife squeezed in behind me - not ideal.

Looking for something reliable - not fussed about performance or acceleration etc..

I do about 13000 miles per year virtually all M-way/A road so not sure if I'm best looking at petrol or diesel?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Family car for 5k? - daveyjp

"Any suggestions gratefully received"

A visit to a car supermarket for a nosey round lots of different cars. I suspect an MPV may be order of the day. Cmax, Touran, Scenic, Picasso, Toyota Verso etc.

Family car for 5k? - mlj

Sounds like a similar set of requirements to my own four years ago. Seating for four, including a son who was 6 ft 4, is now 6ft 6. Large boot. After looking at very many cars we bought a Citroen Berlingo. Have had no problems, the dealer i bought from said it is Citroen's most reliable model, and I don't expect to get rid for years to come. Yes, it isn't to everyone's taste - but it is a unique vehicle in many ways, and i have never regretted buying one. 5K should get you a 2005/6 HDi with good spec.

Family car for 5k? - alfatrike

we bought a Citroen Berlingo.

so did my parents, they had a partner van in the uk and sold it when they moved to france and bought a berlingo multispace.

great little van/car i fit in the back easily. i'm 6.3 and dad is 6.2 and this the first car they've had i can sit behind him.

the side sliding doors are very useful for getting out in tight spaces.

Family car for 5k? - unthrottled

Your mileage is borderline for petrol/diesel transition, but if it is mainly motorway, probably opt for diesel-they are nicer to driver than lacklustre petrols.

You don't really give any indication of what floorplan size you're looking at and this makes meaningful suggestions difficult. Some people find the mondeo size cars cumbersome when it comes to parking. This isn't a euphemism for bad driving. A full size car in a small parking space is inconvenient.

I Personally prefer estates to MPVs. I just can't get on with the steeply raked windscreen and A pillars. They don't really offer any additional space over an estate either.

The obvious suggestions would be:

Ford Focus Estate 1.8 TDCI

Vaxhall Astra estate 1.7DTi

Peugeot 307 HDI

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi

I'd set aside £4k for the new car and stick the £1K in a dedicated car spending fund with the asumption that something will go wrong. Psycologically, it is so much nicer to have already written the money off! Most people overstretch on the purchase and skimp on running which is daft.

Family car for 5k? - terrierman

The Berlingo should suit well. I had a petrol one for 5 years with no problems at all.Loads of room and characterful in a strange way! It wont get many envious looks but it does the job it was designed for brilliantly.

Family car for 5k? - jamie745

Im seeing a few Mercedes Benz E Class CDi's on Auto Trader for 4-5k, enough space in the back of one of them to stage a football tournament!

Family car for 5k? - Avant

I agree the Berlingo is worth a look, but if you want more boot space go for an Octavia estate. The 1.9 TDI is a reliable diesel without the more recent gadgets (DMF and DPF) that are unreliable on older cars; alternatively the more sedate 1.6 petrol might suit you. Even at your height there should be room for a baby seat behind you.

Family car for 5k? - Boulder2k9

This question comes up regularly on this Forum although the budgets usually differ slightly. I keep saying it, one of the best cars I bought on a lowish budget was a 2004 VW Passat TDI great space, great engine all wrapped in a classy package, something like this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201118386069166/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/price-to/5000/transmission/manual/body-type/saloon/fuel-type/diesel/engine-size-cars/1-7l_to_1-9l/model/passat/make/volkswagen/page/1/postcode/bt39jp/radius/1501?logcode=p

Good luck mate.

Also as you stated in your original post that you spent all the time on motorways then I can't think of a worse car for motorway driving than a Citreon Berlingo! Get something comfortable!

Family car for 5k? - SteveLee

That sort of budget I'd be eyeing up a Toyota Avensis estate, Honda Accord estate or a Citroën C5 estate which may be less reliable but will be at least two years newer for the same money. Also Vauxhal Vectras are fantastic motorway cruisers and are cheap as chips.

Family car for 5k? - mlj

Having driven the length of France on many occasions I can assure you the Berlingo is supremely comfortable on motorways.

Suprised to hear that a van with windows is comfortable on long stretches of motorway. I have only heard good things about how comfortable the ride is on those cars but petrol/diesel I'm sure its noisy alright!

Family car for 5k? - mlj

Pretty sure it's to do with sitting higher up and on supportive seats. We've done 500 miles in a day 5 up without a problem. Noisy? Nowhere as noisy as the VW TDIs I've run in the past. Steady 65 mph all the way, aircon on, stop every two hours. I can honestly say I get out the other end feeling quite fresh and with no aches and pains.

Well that is news to me to be honest, I just would have thought that with the car being so tall and on relatively skinny tyres that it would feel a bit unstable and be quite noisy at speed due to its aerodynamics. The TDIs are noisy at idle but sitting at 70 on the motorway they are as quiet as any other high quality diesel saloon.

However if you were spending 90% of your driving on motorways and A roads would you really prefer a Berlingo van over a Passat diesel?

Family car for 5k? - mlj

Every day of the week. The Berlingo has 624 cc of boot space but also (on my Desire model) has the modutop fitted which gives another 200-300 cc storge space. Do I want to have a Passat estete instead? Given my experiences at the hand of my local VW dealer,, no. In financial terms, let me ask this question. I bought my top of the range Berlingo with metallic paint and aircon for 11.3K. Show me the Passat I could have bought for the same amount.

Interesting, is the Berlingo pertrol or diesel and did you buy it new?

Family car for 5k? - unthrottled

metallic paint and aircon for 11.3K.

Such fripperies wouldn't endear a vehicle to me. One of the good things about VW is that you're not forced to pay for 'free' gimmicks if you don't want them. The berlingo is a very good vehicle, but let's be honest, it isn't going to be as sure footed as a car. I'd also argue that VW diesels are still superior to PSA ones. Any estate car can be fitted with a roof box.

I don't understand your units of volume-surely you don't mean cubic centimetres? 624cc is the cubic capacity of a motorcycle engine!

Family car for 5k? - jamie745

I think the 624 is referring to litres of boot space.

If we go back to the original post it seems the most important things is a big boot, good rear legroom and good economy. And while the Berlingo is a more than capable tool for moving things about (a friend of mine uses one as a disabled vehicle) i think you can get a perfectly good estate car for 4-5grand which would be better to drive.

Ford Mondeo MK3 Estate's are going for around 4k in very good condition, shop around and you might find a Ghia X one. The TDCi unit is more than capable of decent economy on long trips.

BMW 5 Series Estate for 4-5k, Diesel models im seeing on Auto Trader currently also. And some C-Class estate CDI's for the same money. Volvo V70 is a nice car also.

If it being an estate specifically isnt too much of a bother (as in, will a big hatchback or saloon do?) then theres even more choice. Ford Mondeo Titanium TDCi has a massive boot, of which im seeing plenty of hatchbacks in that price bracket for sale.

I would say dont resort to a glorified minibus unless its really neccessary.

Family car for 5k? - rogue-trooper

I have a Mitsu Grandis that fits me OK (6ft3) and there is plenty of room in the second row, and the 3rd row is pretty decent as well. Boot is very good. Probably going to get rid of it if I can't persuade my brother to take it, and see that £5k is about the price one would get for it. A little noisy and the handling isn't the best, but it is relatively comfy and while I hate the service bills that Mitsu drop on you (no need to go back to them though), I have got quite attached to it and possibly would recommend one.

Family car for 5k? - piston power

Petrol vectra on a 58 plate last july were £5k so do look these were 1.8 models.

Family car for 5k? - barney100

Never had a Citroen so can't comment on them but I've had several Volvos and you can get a good diesel estate taht will give you good economy, will swallow loads in the back and give an excellent ride on long journeys. Add to that they will go on and on with tlc.

Family car for 5k? - daveyK_UK

I hate French cars, and would normally never ever entertain the thought of buying one again after owning the piece of junk which is a Renault Modus, but having so many friends with kids rave about the Berlingo Multispace, we got one.

Highly recommend it.

It’s the 1.6 diesel on a 59 plate.

Ultra reliable so far, hard wearing, nice to drive, bucket loads of space, we absolutely love it.

Don’t get me wrong, Citroen/Peugeot are better Renault, and after having a new shape Renault Kangoo as a hire car, the Berlingo Multispace is far more practical, spacious and well built.

We also tried a new shape Fiat Doblo last year for a few days, its better than a Kangoo (the Kangoo is rubbish in all honesty and has terrible rear leg room) but doesn’t feel as robust as the Citroen. Plus a Fiat stop/start feature is not something I would have confidence in.

I think these van based ones are the exception to the French car rule.

Please don’t pay the premium for the Peugeot partner tepee over the Citroen Berlingo multispace, a £1,000 for a different badge is some expensive chrome.

And you can pick up petrol examples of the new shape for £5 grand.

Family car for 5k? - oldtoffee

Having had a Picasso, Berlingo and now on my 2nd Passat TDi estate I'd go for the Passat because it is appreciably quieter and an effortless cruiser at motorway speeds. In France I put it at 130 kph on the cruise and average 52mpg. In the Picasso HDi I had that would give me 38 to 40 mpg - VW diesels are noisier at low speed and lumpier but at motorway speeds no different to the PSA units and significantly more economical and more torquey. Berlingos, Picassos anything that boxy shape have terrible aerodynamics resulting in lots of wind noise and increased consumption. Berlingo is a great tool, we miss ours but motorways aren't its natural habitat.