VW Passat 03 1.9tdi - Sudden collapse of Dual mass flywheel - sundance

Can someone advise me on this please? My car which is a 2003 1.9tdi Passat manual 5 speed. Was hit on the passenger front wheel and wing. My car was stationary at the time(parked) waiting for the wife. My car was pushed again'st the kerb and subsequently up it. The car suffered a damaged wing/bumber and the steering is way out. Apart from this the car sounds and drives fine apart from pulling to the right. My insurance has authorised a garage to take the car for estimates. I drove my car after the accident for 5 miles to my home and it drove without any noise. the garage sent a driver to collect the car. He made a list of the damage and gave me a copy. Then he drove it away, with no problems or noise. The garage has been authorised to carry out the repairs, "great i thought, until I phoned the garage to get an approx time of completion" they said to me "is that the car with the flywheel gone" I said that I know nothing about a flywheel problem. Not waisting any time, I went to the garage to see what they were on about. When they started it up it sounded like a box of bolts clanking around loudly. they said it just popped when they were moving it from one part of the car park to another. I said that there was no sign of any noise before it came into their garage. But they said it's common and they can suddenly just go like that. Is this true? my insurance company is going to instruct them to get images of the flywheel, which will mean taking the gearbox off. Then they will get back to me. Regards Pete

VW Passat 03 1.9tdi - Sudden collapse of Dual mass flywheel - Roly93

I wouldn't rule this out, if they pulled away a bit sharpish it may have just given up the ghost, it is a 2003 car and I assume this is the original unit ?

VW Passat 03 1.9tdi - Sudden collapse of Dual mass flywheel - Peter D

Somebody gunned it but to fail like that that it must have been close to failure. I suspect the insurance will not cover it, unless the impact shunned the car, hoever that would cause the DMF to make a noise when you drove away form the scene. Be prepared for a large bill. Regards Peter

Does the gearbox come out without much trouble? or do you have to support the engine and remove the subframe to get the box out?

Regards

Pete

There was no signs or noise of any kind and no judder at all, before they had it.

Regards

Pete

Driveshaft disconnected, starter mounter out, gearbox mounts, gear linkages and fitting of a mounting plate and the gearbox can come off. But why do you ask as you are not removing it. You may be lucky and the insurance pay the labout and you pay the parts, still expensive. Do you know if the driver that collected your car reported the noise. Regards Peter

No the driver never reported it. And he gave me a slip/receipt and that says nothing about it. They did not even call me about it. I called them to get an approximate time for the repairs. That's when they told me the news. They reckon it just popped when they were moving it in their car park.

Double Posted

Edited by Peter D on 17/04/2011 at 21:06