FIAT Bravo - Driveshaft removal-Oil coming from Gearbox-Re-fit - squibsquib

I was trying to replace the strut on my 1997 1.6 fiat bravo and while I was trying to get the wishbone ball joint out I pulled out the driveshaft from the gearbox and oil came out. This happened because stupid me released the bolts in the engine compartment that made the Strut loose. This meant than when I broke the ball joint free the shaft popped out. Mistake!! Once I placed the draftshaft back into the gearbox and put the inner boot back on the oil stopped leaking. I am worried incase I have damaged any seals in the gearbox but when I checked the manual it didn't mention a seal for the 1.6 model. Do I just use a cable tie to fasten the boot back on? Can I use a jubilee clip? Also can anyone give me advice in removing the outer CV joint? I am trying to replace the boot and it mentions I must use circlip pliers? Is there another way around this? Thanks

FIAT Bravo - Driveshaft removal-Oil coming from Gearbox-Re-fit - Peter.N.

Its unlikely that you have done any damage to the seal, they are designed so the shaft can be slid out.

Dont use a jubilee clip on you boot it will possibly unbalance the shaft, cable ties should be OK.

If the outer joint is the same as those I am familier with its held in by a snap ring, a sharp outward tap with a hammer should release it, if you have difficulty use a drift against the inside next to the shaft and give it a good hard wack.

FIAT Bravo - Driveshaft removal-Oil coming from Gearbox-Re-fit - squibsquib

Could I use a jubilee clip on the inner boot to connect it to the gearbox or will I cable tie that too? It might be a bit awkward to tighten the cable tie up there