Micra 52 plate Tempest 1.0L - Micra K11 Timing Chain 49000 miles - Herr Minger
I would like to know the symptoms of a worn timing chain or chain guide. I recently bought a Micra and I did an oil change on it yesterday. As I got it to operating temp I noticed a rather loud ticking noise a bit like tappets noise but seemingly from in the block rather than the rocker cover. When the revs are increased it ceases but as soon as it goes back to idle , it comes back and it isn't quiet.

If it is and I attempt the job, does the head need to come off as I have read this online in a forum but there is no mention of that in the Haynes manual.

Edited by Herr Minger on 13/04/2011 at 11:16

Micra 52 plate Tempest 1.0L - Micra K11 Timing Chain 49000 miles - bathtub tom

These usually rattle when cold if the chain's worn.

It's quite a long (and expensive) job, but if you've got the Haynes that'll tell you what you've got to do. The head doesn't need to come off, but the sump does.

I've only done one and on reflection the chains weren't worn as much as the idler wheel - the teeth were badly 'hooked'. I think I could probably have got away with doing just the idler and tensioner on that.

They'll apparently rattle happily away for ever without coming to any harm.

I got the local garage mechanic to have a quick listen before his boss appeared and he thought that it could be timing chain problems, I think he said something about the chain guide but to be honest it wasn't that quiet around the garage and he wasn't overly interested. He did say that a chain problem was likely to be noisy when the oil was hot and thinned out.

What exactly should I be listening for in the way of symptoms.
Right an update on the situation.

I took the car to the local Nissan dealership and expressed my concerns, asking if a mechanic could perhaps listen and make a judgement for say 1/2 hours labour. I was asked if the car cuts out at idle(no), if it runs uneven at idle(no) and was more or less told it can't be a stretched chain. Bear in mind though this same guy told me he had replaced 6 chains and to do it the engine had to come out. Now I am pretty sure this is NOT the case and so can I believe any thing else he said?

He did say that if I want it checked it will cost £93 as they will have to remove the sump and chain coves to measure the chain deflection and I may consider that in the near future.

I recently removed the cam cover and looked at the condition of the top gears(cams) and the outer idler gear and from what I can tell they looked fine, no hooking on the gears and the chain seemed fine. What the lower chain is like I don't know and that's where the loud tapping noise at idle seems to be coming from.
Micra 52 plate Tempest 1.0L - Micra K11 Timing Chain 49000 miles - mickyh7

Micra K12 has the streched chain problem.(last model made in the UK,newer shape).

K11 does not.

These have shims and not tappets.

I know the K12 is more prone to this problem but the K11 can also suffer if oil is not kept clean. I am also aware that it is a shim setup and not tappets but the tapping noise does not appear to be a worn shim as it isn't coming from the top of the engine. It also disappears as soon as the revs are slightly increased which leads me to think that it is the lower chain knocking against the chain runner at idle but stopping as soon as some slack is taken up by increasing the revs.

I have removed the alternator belt and the noise is still there, as for the other belt it's a pain to remove but i'll get around to it soon. I can't see it being that though because if it was say the water pump or power steering, then surely the noise would continue through the revs?

I'd be looking at the tensioner.

Edited by mickyh7 on 11/05/2011 at 14:08

Micra 52 plate Tempest 1.0L - Micra K11 Timing Chain 49000 miles - Cris_on_the_gas

You mentioned that you changed the oil. Had you run the engine up to operating temperature at at any time between purchasing and changing the oil, i suspect the answer must be yes so excuse for asking. was the noise there before ?

Not doubting your ability but could this noise be a direct result of changing the oil. eg oil level, oil specifcation ?

Yes it had been at operating temp and before I dropped the oil. Hadn't noticed the noise before then but my old dear had only owned the car two days. The current oil is 10/40 semi synthetic and the level is spot on. Did oil change around a month ago and the level hasn't dropped and the oil is still clean.

The suggestion above (tensioner) is probably the way to go. I assume you mean the lower one. Problem there though is if the tensioner is b*****ed surely the chain will be as well?

Edited by Herr Minger on 11/05/2011 at 18:19

Is it possible to remove the lower chain casing without removing the upper one. I know I'm being lazy by not checking myself.

Edited by Herr Minger on 11/05/2011 at 20:01

"The suggestion above (tensioner) is probably the way to go. I assume you mean the lower one. Problem there though is if the tensioner is b*****ed surely the chain will be as well"?

Not necessarily ,the tensioner is made of a plastic/ composite where as the chain is made of steel.

It happens a fair bit on high revving sports Motorcycles,and a new tensioner almost always sorts it.

It is also possible that the Tensioner spring has lost its temper due to extreme heat.

Edited by mickyh7 on 12/05/2011 at 11:22

Just a thought... If the tensioner is faulty on the lower chain won't there be slack there, hence the tapping noise and therefore wouldn't this affect the timing slightly causing rough idling?
Micra 52 plate Tempest 1.0L - Micra K11 Timing Chain 49000 miles - engineer11

Hi folks,

I know this may be a bit late to add here, but I had a 16 valve K11 new shape Micra, and the timing chain went noisy. Sometimes it went quiet, depended on the day!

One day it went really noisy, and it went on me totally, and the chain broke into two while in between gear changes, and not "thrashed" BTW, normal everyday driving; but I quickly dipped the clutch, so no damage done to the engine. it cut out and that was that. I had a tow home, not far, about 2 miles.

Mileage BTW was about 45K on the K11 Micra. I think some bad service history with not enough oil changes etc. had caused this chain to fail. Engine seems really quiet otherwise and OK, it is a well nippy car.

I bought a kit, with tensioner etc, and chain for £80 in 2003, and replaced it OK at home in the garage. One had a groove in it so worn away on the old one.

Haynes manual said I would have to remove the engine and sump, but I managed to do it just removing the rocker and side cover only, as it seemed obvious when taking it down that all this work was unwarranted.

I rotated the camshaft to close all of the valves, and then raise cylinder one to top dead centre. Then I positioned the cam so exhaust and inlet valves were closed on cylinder 1. How I did this was with a long scrwdriver in No1 cyl, and watching the valves cycle when turning the camshaft to get the valve timing right.

After this I replaced the tensioner, and the chain, noting the direction of travel for the split-link.

I replaced the covers and gaskets plus sealer where applicable.

After this I replaced the engine oil and filter.

The car fired up 1st time, and I had no timing error, or oil leaks afterwards, and the engine was so quiet you could hardly hear it, especially inside the car!

The job took me one evening, and went smoothly! (makes a change, lol).

After this I kept the car for 6 months before buying a brand new Micra DCi 1.5 5 door, (excellent and very very economical car I will say, with cheap tax too), as I needed more doors in my car.

The little K11 Micra was fine and fast too, but only two doors was causing problems for my older passengers so it had to be changed!

OK fast forward to 2012 - I need to replace my cambelt at 60K in my DCi - I wonder how that will go, lol.

I have thought of changing my car too, but no more DCi Micra's are available, and I dont like the 3 cylinder underpowered and unbalanced petrol cars, so may have to go for a Qashqai, especially now that they have the super efficient low tax class diesels available! Or maybe a diesel Note! All good motors aren't they?

I just don't fancy a car with only 3 cylinders; it seems an odd number to me, and needs lots of extra metal inside there in the way of balancing shafts flying about to balance it all out, plus the extra revs and heavier right foot needed to get the same performance as a 4 cylinder car, which to me equals more wear and tear, and a shorter engine life, and a lot more noise inside the cabin, especially on motorways.

Edited by engineer11 on 26/05/2012 at 22:32

Micra 52 plate Tempest 1.0L - Micra K11 Timing Chain 49000 miles - James464

Thank you so much for sharing such a useful information tutuapp