Citroen Saxo - Registered Keeper versus Main Driver - Wendolene

A few months ago we bought a Citroen Saxo and at the time my boyfriend said to register it in my name. Now that it's been fixed and MOT'd we're ready to tax and insure it. He's now suggesting that as I won't really be doing much driving he should be insured as the main driver, with me being listed as a named driver (which I have no qualms about) but in order for him to do that we need to swap the ownership of the car over. I have never held my own insurance, having never owned a car so it had been his intention to let me insure it to start building up my own no-claims (hence getting me to register it when we purchased it) but again I don't think the policy can be in my name if he is genuinely the main driver?

Can anyone clarify this situation for me please?

Citroen Saxo - Registered Keeper versus Main Driver - jamie745

Hi there. First of all it doesnt matter who's the registered keeper, either of you can be the main driver on the insurance policy. He could be the registered keeper and the insurance list you as the main driver and vice versa, that really doesnt matter. Secondly, technically if he's going to be driving it most of the time he should be the main driver on the policy yes, not that an insurance company would know which one of you is driving it, its not like they put a hidden cam in the dashboard now is it? If its a shared car then somebody has to be technically listed as the "additional driver" as only one can be the main, even if you both drove it the same amount, so that shouldnt be a major worry, put some quotes through the internet, see if its cheaper for you than him or the other way around. The amendments to car insurance law doesnt come in until 2012 so you should still receive the "womens discount" meaning even without a driving history there are cases where womens insurance can be less. And of course bear in mind many companies now allow named drivers or additional drivers to earn their own no claims bonus also.

Just out of interest is this the only car between you or does he have another vehicle?

Citroen Saxo - Registered Keeper versus Main Driver - bathtub tom

Some companies won't quote if you're not the registered keeper.

I've got two cars registered to me, the wife's the main driver of one and it's insured in her name.

Interesting. Ive insured cars on which i was not the registered keeper before so ive never come across such companies but there is usually that tick this box if you're the RK of the car thing isnt there?

Citroen Saxo - Registered Keeper versus Main Driver - LucyBC

The general rule is that the car should be insured in the name of someone who has an "insurable interest" - ie the person (or one of the persons) who own it. This is why it is always vital to declare the "Insurable interest" of the leasing company in any leased car.

The main driver does not have to be the registered keeper. In the case of many leased cars for example the RK is the leasing company and the main insured is the principal driver.

It is currently our second car but I think his idea is to sell the bigger, more expensive to run motor and run this as a daily driver instead. He'd been the main user as I walk to work. Thanks for your reply - it's useful to know that there is potentially no benefit with regards to insurance to swapping the registered keeper of the vehicle. The only reason I wasn't particularly keen to swap the registered keeper is that it adds an extra "owner" when it comes to selling and thus makes it slightly less desirable to a potential purchaser.

Well if he owns and insures another car then he should be able to drive the Saxo (if it belongs to you, with you insuring it for yourself) without him being on the policy at all. Which may have been a consideration at the beginning.

It does add an extra "owner" to the vehicle for sure, but if you sold privatley then explain to any potential purchaser that they are in fact both of you, likelyhood is you'll trade it in at a dealer someday anyway, who really wont be bothered how many owners its had.

If you're a proper crafty lass then insure the car for him, with you as a named driver, with a company that gives named drivers a no claims bonus, direct line used to do this, i dont know if they still do. Get him to pay for the petrol as you wont be using it and earn yourself a bonus as you walk to work for free!! Bingo!

But as i said earlier, run the different combinations through the comparison sites and just see what comes up cheapest for the two of you.

Edited by jamie745 on 07/04/2011 at 14:23

Citroen Saxo - Registered Keeper versus Main Driver - RT

Driving another car on his existing policy will only give him 3rd party cover.

Yes thats true but we dont wish him to crash anyway do we LOL!

Doesnt look like that'll be an issue anyway as the OP said they were going to sell the other car. I was just saying it may have been a consideration at the time of purchase. Obviously more ideal for very occasional use of that vehicle rather than drive everyday with 3rd party.

I enquired with a couple of insurance companies regards this named driver no claims bonus. It appears that this only applies whilst you remain with the same insurance company, almost like a loyalty bonus and is not transferrable.

We've opted to insure it in my name, with him as a named driver as I hadn't appreciated his no claims can only be used on one car thus making it about the same price for either of us to insure. One small hiccup I did come across tho - some insurance companies said I needed 2 years no-claims in order to insure a "warm hatch" and as a result wouldn't even look at me.