Volvo S60 - New Volvo S60 D3 test drive impressions - craig-pd130
Just had a new Volvo S60 D3 (the 2 litre 5-pot diesel) on a 24-hour test drive, did around 150 miles of motorway, town and A-road driving.

The good: usual Volvo superb front seats (cloth), adjustable every which way. Nice even weighting on all controls, especially steering which has a lovely fluid feel without being overlight.

Excellent suspension control, ride and road noise suppression on standard 17" alloys and 50-profile tyres. It flows nicely over broken, bumpy surfaces without crashing or jarring. As good as my current Mondeo in this respect.

Handling is tidy and safe, it goes where you point it without understeer affecting the line.

The D3 engine (single turbo, 161bhp and 300ft-lb) is utterly fantastic. SO effortless, even the slightest flex of your ankle has the car leaping forward.

Some road tests have criticised it for having a narrow torque band ... all I can say is, the one I tested didn't. It pulled HARD and revved swiftly from just over 1500rpm to 4,000+ without tailing off in 3rd, giving awesome overtaking punch in the middle ratios. 6th gear is 39mph / 1000 rpm so it lopes along motorways easily yet still picks up and flies without needing a downchange.

Fuel consumption according to the on-board computer over 150 mixed miles is 49mpg ... even if it's 20% optimistic, that's around 40mpg which, given the performance available, is pretty good.

Dislikes: electronic parking brake (I suppose you get used to them) and no clutch footrest, which is an oversight in my opinion.

Overall: that's my next company car sorted, then.
Volvo S60 - New Volvo S60 D3 test drive impressions - Oilyman
How timely was that!

I'm in the market for a new Co. car right now - looked at the usual suspects, MB C220, Audi A4, BMW 320d etc.

But I really like the look of the new S60 - I fancy the D5 'R' packed version myself. I had a 55 plated old shape D5 SE for a few months a while back and really liked it.

I saw a D3 in white with the beechwood leather over the weekend - a fine looking combo in my opinion.

I haven't arranged a test drive yet - did you go through Volvo themselves or a dealer?

I also wonder if a petrol version is more sensible nowadays with the recent news about local councils getting upset at the emissions from diesel and the price difference between petrol and diesel, dpf worries, dmf worries etc.

I went to a dealer, after a few emails and filling out a form, they offered to deliver the car for the test drive.

I'd had an older V40 2.0T previously, and didn't realise they'd revamped the 60-series and introduced an estate (I'm going for the V60).

I haven't tried any of the petrol versions, so I can't comment. But the D3 engine is bewitching and sooooo effortless. I drove an S60 D5 in the mid-2000s for a day, but it wasn't as quick and gutsy as the new D3. 300lb-ft from 1,400 to nearly 3,000rpm tells its own story.

On DMF / DPF worries, I've had turbodiesels for the past 8 years and 100K+ miles without DMF problems, and a DPF-equipped Mondeo for the past 3+ years without issues, despite lots of short runs etc.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 30/03/2011 at 15:26

Volvo S60 - New Volvo S60 D3 test drive impressions - Boulder2k9

Delighted that you have posted your comments about what it is like to drive the car in the real world. I also think that the S60/V60 is an excellent car

I am getting a bit fed up of all the reviews of these compact exec's from the like's of Autocar etc. It would appear that every BMW in the range or every Ford is the best car in the class, take the humble current shape 3 series for example Autocar believe that it is 'One of the best all round car's in any class,the 3 series excels in almost every department'. I think this is a load of rubbish having had my sisters 318d for a week I did not feel that at all. It was noisy, very cramped, poor ride and poor interior by BMW standards. I understand that I am ranting on a bit here but it just annoys me so much that these magazines write such rubbish.

I believe they did the same with the S60/V60. At the end of the day these cars are not built for racing drivers so why is the handling so important, for the average S60 driver most won't mind if it isn't pin point in the turns or the steering is super direct. I presume the buyers of the S60 want a comfortable,spacious,reasonably economical car that can go up and down motorways all day long, in that regard the new S60 is a total success, and that's why I like it so much.

To the average driver I just am not sure if the 3 series is 'that' much better than the Volvo S60

All in all delighted to hear that you like the S60 as much as I do!

Having given the S60 back, and then climbing into my 2008 Mondeo, the difference between them was even more stark. The extra refinement and noise suppression of the S60 was even more noticable, not to mention the superb engine. And the Mondeo was considerably quieter and more refined than my previous B5.5 Passat.

I've done several thousands of miles in various 3-series, and the offset driving position gives me backache, and they don't ride very well in my view. I'd like to try a 330d but the BIK tax is monstrous.

I like Audis, but my 10p worth is they don't justify the whopping price premium over the equivalent VW model. I've driven the 170bhp version of the new Passat, it's a good, spacious and comfortable car but its performance (although healthily brisk) is just not in the same league as the D3.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 31/03/2011 at 10:18

Volvo S60 - New Volvo S60 D3 test drive impressions - Oilyman
I have to agree with the comments about the 3 series being over-hyped by the press. I have driven mine for 60+ thousand miles and have to say that it has a nasty harsh ride that can easily be caught out on bumpy bends. It does have an odd driving position too - but like living next to a busy railway line I soon got to zone that out.

I always think that the versions that the press report on must be 'higher up the food chain' than the regular ones that most punters get to buy. I'm sure an M3 is a better drivers car than the 320d touring that I get to drive.

But in my opinion (and that's all it is) the Volvo S60 is a nicer driving vehicle for the majority (if not all) the driving that I do.

And people are nicer to you when you want to pull out of a busy junction in a Volvo.

Yes I believe that many cars especially any cars remotely related to the UK such as Ford Jaguar and Land Rover are over hyped by the media. I'm tired of reading about how important it is that the steering in a Focus diesel is razor sharp and has pinpoint handling. I believe that the majority of buyers of a docus diesel would be willing to trade off some of the 'handling' of the car in exchange for a nicer interior and more comfortable ride. I mean at the end of the day how many buyers will be taking a Focus diesel up the mountains for a hillclimb every weekend?

In another example, how many people here think that the 320d saloon would be THAT much better than the equivalent 159 saloon 2.0 JTDM?

I know what I would rather have.

I presume for the majority of people here are not racing driver's and would therefore not really be that bothered with super sharp handling, granted nobody want's a sloppy handling car but I know that I would rather have a comfortable car than a uncomfortable one!

Volvo S60 - New Volvo S60 D3 test drive impressions - Slightlyfatdirector

Very interesting post. I had a 2005 S60 D5 (the 163hp version) and loved the car. The ride was not good though, although handling was fine. Comfort was good and the best bit was a 5 pot engine with character and lots of grunt.

I needed an estate car and the bigger the better, so at 3 years, 90,000 miles I changed it for a BMW 5 series Touring with the 177hp 2.0 diesel engine. The differences are marked. The BM is more practical (of course, it's an estate!), as comfortable to drive long distances (just done 1,300 miles in the last 3 days across to Germany and back) and is much quieter. At 100mph on the Autobahn a conversation can be held without the need for raised voices.

But I miss the Volvo. It had character, which is sadly lacking in the Beemer. It feels sterile and although more powerful it has nothing like the grunt the Volvo did. I seem to be changing gears all the time in the BM whereas the Volvo stayed in top from 30mph and if you wanted to go faster you just prodded the pedal. And it was a Volvo, and so not as common as a 3 series which I liked in a perverse way.

I think it is the character of a car which the road-testers miss out on describing, but then it is so subjective isn't it? I loved the 5 pot sound in the Volvo, others call it noisy. The BM engine is not audible on the move which therefore means quiet = good. Well yes, but not for everyone. Horses for courses I suppose.

And the reason why Volvo did not sell me a V70 was a; I didn't like the styling and b; the BM was sooooooooooo much better BiK-wise (and fuel consumption-wise for the company). Better residuals too. Oh, and better equiped as standard, and cheaper to service. But sterile...........

The Volvo however was more reliable. The BM has been to visit the dealer so often I think it's having an affair with someone in the service department.....

Yes but it isn't right to compare a S60 D5 to a BMW 5 Series as the 3 series saloon is the main rival to the Volvo, you are talking about a different class of car altogether here. I do think that the 5 is so much better than the 3 series crapbox in every aspect!

The 5-pot woffle is still there, in spades :) I found the guttural snarl when I tickled the throttle to be quite addictive ...

Volvo S60 - New Volvo S60 D3 test drive impressions - Avant

Magazine road testers are mostly young males who judge a car by its ability to stimulate them by driving flat out on twisty B-roads. For the rest of us a Volvo can be very satisfying.

I think the natural competitor to the S60 / V60 is the Audi A4: both excellent if your company budget runs to their cost, although I personally don't think that the extra quality that they have over my Octavia vRS is worth the extra £7,000 which is the difference in price.

Interesting thread and thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Forum members - do let us have running reports or first impressions of your cars. They're always interesting and usually stimulate a good discussion as this one has.

Volvo S60 - New Volvo S60 D3 test drive impressions - daveyjp

I do agree about noise levels in the Mondeo diesel, the one I had briefly was terrible - but that's why they are much cheaper than equivalent sized cars - skimping on the bits you can't see.

Volvo S60 - New Volvo S60 D3 test drive impressions - Avant

Cheaper than equivalent Audi / BMW / Mercedes for sure - but Mondeo estates range from £20,000 to nearly £29,000 (list price) so not as cheap as all that.

Davey, was your X-type diesel quieter than a Mondeo with a similar engine? If so, that could be partly where the extra money went. Out of interest, what did you change to?

Avant - you have a VRS estate? Nice would be really tempted by them if they were a good looking car but I think they look too awkward. Nice powerful engine great space, nice interior and a good car for the money, I think its a great buy!

@ Avant -- you make a good point here on prices.

Until driving the S60, I was simply going to replace my company Mondeo estate with the facelifted 160bhp Mondeo estate (about £23K list price). I'd driven the new Passat 170bhp, which was nice but didn't offer anything substantially different to the Mondeo ... and didn't handle as tidily.

The V60 D3 ES that I'm going for is a bit more expensive (£25.5K list) but the engine and performance just sets it apart. Considering it comes with climate control and most other gadgets at this price, it's competitively priced.

Once you go much beyond £25K list, the BIK tax starts to get a little silly, even if the car has low emissions, so the Volvo just squeezes in (the 2012 model year has lower emissions due to stop/start being added, which lowers the BIK a bit).