Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Nick Is Eating

Approximately 9 months ago the engine of my 2007 Mini Cooper S started making a rattling noise on start up. I took the car to a Mini service garage who informed me that there was no oil in the car, however the oil warning light had not come on. I have regularly checked the oil since then and the car has now used approximately 8 litres of oil, inlcuding an oil change at it's last service with Mini since last summer. The last service was in February and the problem was again reported. The garage suspected a fault with the chain tensioner and this was replaced and put the warning light problem down to condensation in the control panel. Within a month the car was completely out of oil again. This was only noticed when the car began to judder while being driven. Again the oil warning light did not come on.

The problem has not been idetified correctly by Mini and I am concerned that there may be a significant fault with the engine. Is anybody aware of any similar problems with this model or perhaps could suggest what the problem may be?

Top Reply

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Dominicus

I found this thread condescending and unhelpful.

A modern, BMW-engineered vehicle that requires weekly oil-level checks? Car is provided with boatloads of electronics, including realtime gas consumption, but no oil pressure readout?

My Mini was fully serviced by BMW/Mini shop. 6 weeks and only 1,700 miles later, oil lamp came on for a brief moment. The vehicle took 3.2 quarts of oil (out of ~4 quarts total capacity). Zero oil leaks and no evidence of oil burn.

All Replies

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - injection doc

The oil warning light is not a level light but a lack of oil pressure warning. By the time the light comes on damage is normally done ! The handbook will tell you to check the levels weekly and is your responsibility, The oil pressure warning light normally only comes on when the pressure drops below approx 6psi and normal running pressure will be 40-70 psi but with plenty of volume behind it as well.

so I suppose the best way to describe it would be like driving on almost a flat tyre ! it kills it !

I suspect untold damage has been done as is so often the case with people who drive and wait for the light to appear or nasty rattling noises to appear.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - JohnM{P}

2 thoughts:

- for the oil level to drop, the oil has to be burnt &/or leak. If the oil level drops that quickly, you'll either have a smoke screen following behind you or will have an oily engine bay, floorpan and parking space.

- does the oil light come on when you turn on the ignition, or has it blown/been removed?

I presume you are checking the oil level weekly now...

Hope it turns out not to be serious!

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Collos25

The only way to cure this problem is either a total engine rebuild or replacement.The oils going somewhere you have run the car twice at least with no oil or oil pressure its more than likely completely goosed.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Cymrogwyllt

[quote]The problem has not been idetified correctly by Mini [/quote]

It has been identified as the driver not checking the oil level and topping up as needed.

[quote]and I am concerned that there may be a significant fault with the engine.[/quote]

There is no fault with the engine- it has been destroyed by repeatedly running without lubricant. User error.

[quote] Within a month the car was completely out of oil again. This was only noticed when the car began to judder while being driven[/quote] Obviously not been checking the oil level often enough.

Edited by Cymrogwyllt on 02/04/2011 at 19:35

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Victorbox

"There is no fault with the engine- it has been destroyed by repeatedly running without lubricant. User error."

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - gordonbennet

Cars are inanimate objects, but the subject car here i feel positively sorry for.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - SteveLee

+1 to the list of people with not a jot of sympathy for the MINI owner but some for the poor car.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - 11111111

Wow Cymrogwyllt,

Judging by your comments, you didn't read the Terms and Conditions.

Contributions must not:

Contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory.

Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.

I'm assuming that the user who made this post was expecting equal if not better craftmanship from a German automobile as they would get from a Japanese or Korean vehicle. I must admit I was tricked as well. But then I should have paid more attention to the term "Bayerische Mist Wagon". I will assume you can translate.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - madf

Wow Cymrogwyllt,

Judging by your comments, you didn't read the Terms and Conditions.

Contributions must not:

Contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory.

Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.

I'm assuming that the user who made this post was expecting equal if not better craftmanship from a German automobile as they would get from a Japanese or Korean vehicle. I must admit I was tricked as well. But then I should have paid more attention to the term "Bayerische Mist Wagon". I will assume you can translate.

OP admits action which was the likely cause of the problem. The OP then repeats the same inaction...

Both by the OP's own admission.

So what embarrassment is caused by simply stating what is obvious and admitted ?

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - 11111111

When my Mini had the same problem it was the rear main seal. This has a tendancy to leak mostly while driving without leaving a smoke screen or a large puddle. Actually, mine didn't leave any kind of spoting until after they "fixed it". Then it started leaving oil spots in my car park. I'm frankly surprized that BMW used such horrible judgment when they diecided to use an oil sensor that won't tell you there is a problem until the damage is done.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Robin the Technician
Totally agree this has been caused by the operator and nothing else. Manufacturers spend a fortune on a handbook that to some people might as well be used as a wedge to stop a table wobbling (to coin a phrase). It is there to be read and it ALWAYS, in every handbook issued with every car tell you to check the oil weekly. Had the operator done this they would not be facing a huge bill. The people I feel sorry for are probably the ones buying it from an auction where its been traded in - thinking they've got a bargain.

Sorry to say but the operator of this vehicle will likely get no sympathy here.....

Robin the Technician
Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Hamsafar

Does the oil pressure warning light come on with the ignition?
It sounds like it should of come on during the experiences you had, where the running of the car was adversely affected by oil shortage. The second time, it sounds as though it was starting to seize.

The first time you ran out of oil, I think it basically ruined the engine, and since then, it burns loads of oil..

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Roly93

Whilst I strongly advocate manually checking the oil every couple of weeks, I would have thought that a newish relatively sophisticated car like a mini would have an oil level indicator fitted ?

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Big John

I thought most modern cars had some sort of oil level indicator. My past few cars (Octavia 2001, Punto 1999, Superb 2003) had an oil light that showed amber for low oil level(top up) or red for low oil pressure + buzzer (STOP!! ) Even though your manual specifies checking oil once a week or before a long journey cars are designed to cope with "mechanically unaware" users .

Usually the first rattles you here when low on oil are the hydraulic tappets complaining especially on startup(sound like your first fault). If you start to hear the crank rattle it's probably too late.

Edited by Big John on 03/04/2011 at 13:11

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - skidpan

Wifes Mini Cooper S did not have a oil level warning light but my current BMW informs you (hopefully) when the oil levels fall in the computer display.

"Idiot" lights are no substitute for regular checks, only takes seconds and can save thousands.

Next he will be telling us he never checks his tyres or water.

People get what they deserve.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - mickyh7

Well I for one hope your car is going to be alright.

Sounds like a seal has gone,and is dropping oil,maybe onto a hot area which burns it off and wont leave a tell tale sign,or maybe into the gearbox ???

After repair, you may get away with this,you'd have heard by now if your engine was b*****ed by the noise/performance.

Take this as a big lesson not to use,or trust warning lights on oil,water or pressures.

My wife has a Micra,not even a temperature gauge just a blue/red light. ! How much do these manufactures have to save ?

Best of luck.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - thunderbird

Had an oil leak on our Cooper S, dealer said it was sump plug, replaced it along with oil, still leaked. Then he said it was sump gasket, replaced it along with oil and it still leaked. 2nd dealer decided it was crank seal gasket, had to remove engine/gearbox etc, cured leak for 2 weeks then diff started to leak. Booked it in for diff repair but since we hated the car so much (and not just for oil leaks) we part chopped it for a 1 series, never regretted it.

To be honest the leaks were small but just annoying seeing oil on the drive, it would have taken 20 years for all the oil to leak out.

Agree with others, its the owners fault for not checking the oil.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - slkfanboy

"Idiot" lights are no substitute for regular checks, only takes seconds and can save thousands. Sadly some BMW's dont have Dip-sticks to it's your only choice to use the "Idiot" light. This gives you the next issue of with no dip stick how do you know you top-up enough?

Back to the Mini, for sure running with no or low oil has mostly likely done the engine great harm. The oil should not have being used in less than a month.

The oil either leaks out and this should be tracable by the garage and/or owner or burnt and would be seen in review mirror. May be worth looking in the in the mirror for smoke when setting off.

"Idiot" lights are no substitute for regular checks, only takes seconds and can save thousands. Sadly some BMW's dont have Dip-sticks to it's your only choice to use the "Idiot" light. This gives you the next issue of with no dip stick how do you know you top-up enough?

Back to the Mini, for sure running with no or low oil has mostly likely done the engine great harm. The oil should not have being used in less than a month.

The oil either leaks out and this should be tracable by the garage and/or owner or burnt and would be seen in review mirror. May be worth looking in the in the mirror for smoke when setting off.

Why would not oil the be used in a month it depends on how much it is burning or leaking your statement is meaningless.All cars without dipsticks BMW,DB etc have a very simple oil level check program you do not need even have to get out of the drivers seat how simple could it be.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - wigswheels
Totally agree this has been caused by the operator and nothing else. Manufacturers spend a fortune on a handbook that to some people might as well be used as a wedge to stop a table wobbling (to coin a phrase). It is there to be read and it ALWAYS, in every handbook issued with every car tell you to check the oil weekly. Had the operator done this they would not be facing a huge bill. The people I feel sorry for are probably the ones buying it from an auction where its been traded in - thinking they've got a bargain. Sorry to say but the operator of this vehicle will likely get no sympathy here..... Robin the Technician

I drive 1200 miles per week, my wife 200 miles per week and my granny 8 miles per week. By using this measure how often should the oil be checked? If by grannys weekly mileage then I need to check my oil level 150 times per week. If by my weekly mileage then grannys needs checking every three years. Surely a weekly check is a very flawed measure. My Wife has a Mini Cooper S Clubman. I do check the oil weekly, and top it up each month. Cant wait for the finance to be paid to get shot of it. Never had a car before that uses oil in such a thirsty manner. Hardly a high performance engine, and it is not used like a track vehicle. For Mini to say an allowable amount of oil to use is 1L per 1000 miles is beyond what an old Triumph motorbike would have got through in the 70s. Own one for 10 years and £1000 in oil top ups for an average mileage car during that time. If I had made the Mini mistake then it would be £500 a year on oil.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - sparky93

All good about checking oil weekly... the oil use is real bad. The only car i gad needed regular checks was a 1.3 maestro. My other cars didnt use any between yearly services. With avg of 15k miles

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - dimdip

You wonder how a car can pass its hydrocarbon emissions test when it's routinely getting through so much oil. Perhaps the test is very loose?

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Snakey

What an amazing lack of sympathy!

I'm glad we all check our oil, tyre pressures, coolant etc every single week without fail.

I checked my wifes Mini 1.4 oil regularly (at least monthly) and it was fine. 2 weeks after one check the oil light flickered on briefly and when I checked it had dropped to the Min mark so I topped it up and its never dropped since.

For anyone who hasn't using the Mini dipstick before, its a really awkward one to check the level as it 'smears' along the end as you withdraw it, making it difficult to work out whether you're on Min or midway between Min and Max.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - alan1302

I checked my wifes Mini 1.4 oil regularly (at least monthly) and it was fine. 2 weeks after one check the oil light flickered on briefly and when I checked it had dropped to the Min mark so I topped it up and its never dropped since.

If you had done it weekly then you would probably have spotted it before hand.

Why should there be sympathy for someone not doing what you should do?

I'll be the first to admist that I don't check things as much as I should do but I'd not look for sympathy if I was caught out because I had failed to check.

OP never checks oil.

Starts it up: it rattles.

Now at this point an intelligent owner might wonder why. But OP drives to a garage who tells him he has no oil.

Edited by madf on 13/11/2013 at 14:41

That about sums it up but I would guess the engine is bean cans by now.

The world is full of people who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions/inactions and prefer to blame others.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Dominicus

I found this thread condescending and unhelpful.

A modern, BMW-engineered vehicle that requires weekly oil-level checks? Car is provided with boatloads of electronics, including realtime gas consumption, but no oil pressure readout?

My Mini was fully serviced by BMW/Mini shop. 6 weeks and only 1,700 miles later, oil lamp came on for a brief moment. The vehicle took 3.2 quarts of oil (out of ~4 quarts total capacity). Zero oil leaks and no evidence of oil burn.

" found this thread condescending and unhelpful."

Because - like the OP - you never checked your oil.

Most car manuals advise owners to do so. Common sense advises owners to do so.

I say no more...

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Andrew-T

In 50 years of owning cars I have never had a (newish) one which lost oil at anything like the rate reported by the OP. It seems reasonable to expect in these days of accurately-made hi-tech cars that it won't happen. Owners should certainly check oil from time to time, but every week? That's ridiculous - even the generously wasteful owner's manual doesn't allow that much.

Owners should certainly check oil from time to time, but every week? That's ridiculous - even the generously wasteful owner's manual doesn't allow that much.

Why is it ridiculous to check each week that you car has enough oil in the engine? Seeing how vital oil is I can't see how it's ridiculous at all.

< Why is it ridiculous to check each week that you car has enough oil in the engine? Seeing how vital oil is I can't see how it's ridiculous at all. >

It is ridiculous that a modern car should lose oil at a rate which needs weekly checking. I would check a car that often for a while after buying it just to get familiar, but once I am satisfied with its behaviour I would check probably monthly. None of the cars I have owned during the last 30 years has used more than a weekly smidgen of oil.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - quizman

The most important time to check the oil is after a garage service. You don't know what they have done to your car.

After the last service on my Golf, it was leaking oil out of the filter housing, they hadn't put a rubber seal round the top. If I had gone for a long run it would have run out and God knows what would have happened.

"Owners should certainly check oil from time to time, but every week? That's ridiculous - even the generously wasteful owner's manual doesn't allow that much"

I would check the oil everyday on a mini it appears to be the safest bet and every week on any other car its better safe than sorry after all its not exactly time consuming.

Edited by Collos25 on 10/04/2014 at 06:55

I am simple and like to live my life simply.

So my logic is simple:

Can I afford something going wrong?

If yes, don't worry too much.

IIf no, ensure it does not go wrong..

I can't afford a new engine so check oil regularly. My sons do the same.

My conclusion:

Obviously some drivers have more money than I have.

Edited by madf on 10/04/2014 at 15:25

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - JimMiniCricket

I agree with you, Dominicus...

Reading the majority of the replies to this post, all I could think was, "Wow! What a bunch of d*ck heads!" (as we say here in the U.S.).

When I bought my Cooper back in 2007, I was told that since they use synthetic oil, you need not change the oil every 3,000 miles—which has always been the accepted and prescribed schedule for oil changes... that the Mini only needs the oil to be checked at various intervals in its service schedule.

I came here because my "Engine Oil Pressure" lamp has been illuminating for a second or two recently—when I make a sharp turn, it seems... like the oil level is being "fooled". It never remains on... it always goes out once the car has straightened out and I resume driving.

But I am going to have it checked out this weekend at my Dealer. I suppose I'll draw the ire of the crowd here, as well, for my carelessness and neglect! LOL!

Cheery-o, old boys!

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - galileo

But I am going to have it checked out this weekend at my Dealer.

If it has a dipstick, why not check the level yourself?

I came here because my "Engine Oil Pressure" lamp has been illuminating for a second or two recently—when I make a sharp turn, it seems... like the oil level is being "fooled". It never remains on... it always goes out once the car has straightened out and I resume driving.

Oil pressure and oil level are 2 different things. If it's the level you can check that yourself easily enough and should with any car.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - focussed

Not a valid comparison I realise, but my Yamaha FJR 1300 motorcycle does not have an oil pressure gauge or warning light. It only has an oil level warning light. It's a dohc four cylinder motor-similar to many modern cars.

Oil level checking is done by means of a sight-glass, it doesn't use or leak any oil fortunately.

Not a valid comparison I realise, but my Yamaha FJR 1300 motorcycle does not have an oil pressure gauge or warning light. It only has an oil level warning light. It's a dohc four cylinder motor-similar to many modern cars.

But I would guess that the level on a bike would fluctuate a lot more than on a car?

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - focussed

The motor is across the frame and the sump is deep and very well baffled,

the gearbox and clutch are also pressure lubricated from the engine.

I don't know why it's designed like that with no oil pressure switch but it works and they are renowned for achieving starship mileages.

Yamaha also design and in some cases build car engines ie the Ford Puma, the Volvo V8 etc so presumably know what they are doing.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Canteach
The replies in this thread are of limited use. The issue reported, and that I am experiencing, is not to do with how often oil is checked. Fact is that the oil consumption is very high and has only been this way for past year or so rather than the whole 8 years that I have had the car. Has anyone got to the root cause of the problem? I am taking my car to Mini this week...would rather avoid a saga if someone knows what the cause is. Thanks.
Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - xtrailman

Some very rightous people on here, i would use different words but they wouldnt stay on long.

The Mini engine is obviously a pile of rubbish, any engine so poorly engineered that requires huge amounts of oil should never be sold.

My neighbour use to have an Audi A4 fsi that used a quart of oil every month, but his car had a level indicator so he said.

In the real world most people never lift the bonnet between services, fact.

I do check mine weekly, but only because i know i get oil RISE.

Ok the owner should have been more proactive after the fisrt incident, but to come down on him for the original loss of oil is risable.

I've had cars that virtually used NO oil between services.

And i'm pretty sure my mamual says to check dailey, now who does that?

Waves.

Depends on miles covered, i check my lorry's engine oil and water levels without fail every morning along with the required usual daily checks, always have and always will.

My cars, which do only average or less miles, get checked weekly unless i suspect a problem,such as coolant use, in which case i might be checking daily...and in this respect i will only have a car with a dipstick, i want to see the oil for myself and keep an eye on how quickly it discolours.

Oil rise would worry me endlessly and i'd be changing the oil every other month to save what's left of me grey hair, the problem with oil rise in Diesels is knowing (bearing in mind the engine could be wearing and burning off increasing amounts thereby creating a worsening dilution ratio) the exact percentage of fuel to oil ratio.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/08/2015 at 12:44

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Wackyracer

Waves.

Depends on miles covered, i check my lorry's engine oil and water levels without fail every morning along with the required usual daily checks, always have and always will.

Me too GB, Not having an allocated vehicle means I often find myself topping up oil, screenwash and changing bulbs. Best one yet was 12 blown bulbs and that was just on the unit itself, they included both brake lights.

I tend to be in the Madf school of thought, I don't want to be paying out for replacement engines (or the inconvenience of waiting on the side of the motorway for recovery). So for me a couple of minutes every 300miles or so is a good thing.

I always get a bit irritated by people who claim they don't have time to do it, they find the time to fill it with fuel though!

When I hear people say "my car let me down" I usually correct them by saying "You mean you let your car down".

Edited by Wackyracer on 30/08/2015 at 14:10

Me too GB, Not having an allocated vehicle means I often find myself topping up oil, screenwash and changing bulbs. Best one yet was 12 blown bulbs and that was just on the unit itself, they included both brake lights.

Annoying arn't they too much effort for them, i blame the companies though, whilst they continue to employ chimps the race to the bottom continues.

Over the years i've known one twerp run his regular lorry that long without checking the oil that 4 gallons was needed (sump capacity 5 gallons) to top it up when someone else (me) used it.

In my kerbside cowboy days i've drained exactly one pint from the sump of a 2.8 Granada when i serviced the poor thing for the first time in years, it was an allocated company car and the chap ironically an expert in his field of maintaining/refurbishing electronic measuring instruments.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - Andrew Mulcahy

Late in on this one, but the gf bought an '09 Cooper S about 2.5 yrs ago with 36k mls. These really aren't suitable for the average woman driver. I'm fed up of telling her to check the oil level. The thing needs more maintenance than my 170bhp bikes!

Exactly the same issues as the op, to the point where I questioned whether the supplying dealer had done the oil change he promised, as it dropped oil level like a 2 stroke. I have to top it up every 2 weeks(300 mls a week) & it's gone through at least 8 ltrs of oil per service interval. I'm getting to the point of only changing the filter. The car drives great, though it would have died if I wasn't around.

Whilst I have little sympathy for owner negligence, I think BMW have a lot to answer to!! I'm an engineer by trade & build my own motorcycles and service my own vehicles. These total 7 in all & added together they use a teenth of the oil the mini does. Including the 185hp 998cc I have.

But then they are all Japanese...

An insensitive pressure switch coupled to no level detection?? Totally unacceptable.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - keithd

I'm surprised that it still manages to pass the emissions test with an oil consumption that high?

Clearly they don't burn it. The turbo oil feed pipe is a stupid design with a sliding swaged union which contributes I bet.

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - RT

Clearly they don't burn it. The turbo oil feed pipe is a stupid design with a sliding swaged union which contributes I bet.

If they don't burn it - where does the oil go?

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - peter moss

OK if you dont check the oil level and it runs short /low level all of the bearings /bushes have been wiped i can understand modern cars seem to have everything but at the end of the day you need to check the dashboard on start up to make sure all the lights are out , i drive a renault all singing and dancing turn the key and it says oil level ok but i dont trust chip systems i check my oil at least once a month on the oil dip stick along with the water /tyres ect ,

I have an intergrated system for the automatic transmission but i like to check the level via the level tube system messy but at least i then know its ok just because its new wave you still have to check your dashbord prior to driving off

im not taking a pop but the warning lights are there for a reason !

Mini Cooper S 2007 - Mini Cooper - Huge Oil Consumption - RafflesNH

Can't believe this thread's been running for nigh on 6 years. Talk about kicking a man when he is down! ;-)

That said, I too like to keep a beedy eye on my fluids and recently bought a second-hand BMW 3 series that doesn't have an engine oil dispstick, but a dashboard 'announcement' when you are directed to top-up with a litre.

Apart from the obvious reliance on electronic sensors doing their job, how does one know that the garage has actually completed an oil change, or that the condition of the oil hasn't been compromised by water ingress through a failed head gasket or similar? I guess the latter could be checked by opening the oil filler cap on the rocker cover, but that might also be down simply to relatively benign frequent cold-start condensation, which would not necessarily contaminate the sump.

I understand BMW has now seen the licht, and reintroduced the good 'old dipstick again. Better late than never I s'pose.

/wrings hands/

Problem sorted, managed to talk the Mrs into selling the POS & replaced it with a bulletproof MX5. Result!!