Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - Monsieur Kev

Having read that the manual version of this car boasts CO2 emissions of 117 g CO2, yet can top 140 mph, isn;t it about time that the whole myth of CO2 levels is blown apart?

It is bad enough that virtually every car for sale never achieves the claimed MPG that is advertised on the windscreen in the showroom when actually dirven in real condtions. In fact, there has never been a car that has actually bettered the manufactuers claimed mpg, the fuel economy is always exagerrated.

Apart from WHICH magazine, very few reviewers of new cars take manufacturers to task for the ridiculous claims they make for CO2 and mpg. It is very hard to take any of these figures seriously as car makers appear to have carte blanche to make all sorts of false claims without anyone seriously this fantasy world, far removed from what you should expect.

In the UK the whole VED system is based on totally false claims by manufacturers of what emissions their vehicles are claimed to emit. In future road test, please could the claimed mpg be compared to the reality that most owners can expect to achieve. I bought a Ford Mondeo MK4 2.0 TDCi on the basis that this car would average over 45 mpg. Ford claimed an aerage mpg of 47. The reality is a 'hard' 38 mpg. A 25% shortfall. How can a company like Ford which I presume ensures that every car will perfomr in a similar fashion, make such a drastic error? No doubt the CO2 emissions claimed for this car are also totally inaccurate.

The privatee motorist is being deceived by these false claims and it is hard to judge when you buy a new car, what the vehicle will actually do to the gallon when you drive it out of the showroom.

Edited by Monsieur Kev on 25/03/2011 at 08:57

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - ForumNeedsModerating

I think you're basing your criticism on a misapprehension of what the tests actually test.

The tests create a 'flat playing field' for all cars tested, i.e. they're tested in exactly the same ways & conditions. This gives a fair comparison between makes & models.

I happen to have a Mondeo 2l diesel - my consumption works out to be within 10% of the quoted figure - and entirely acceptable to me when compared with the standard EC test of 47.9 mpg.

Far from being "..totally false claims.." as you say, they provide a fair comparison. The car manufacturers don't set the tests - the EU does that. Would you rather the Government based their VED calculations on , say, your particular acheived consumption? (i.e. 38 mpg as you say) In that case, I think you would be alot worse off in terms of VED & company car BIK (if it's a company car).

As actual consumption is affected heavily by the type & style of driving you do, how on earth could an average-based statistic possibly cover the multitude of variations that might include? A bit like complaining that you can never have the 'average' of 2.1 children or you earn less than 'average'.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - craig-pd130

Autoexpress magazine's road tests now give a "test" CO2 emissions figure, which is invariably at least 50% more than the manufacturer's claimed figure, in the same way that the mag's "test" fuel consumption is usually 50% more than the combined EU figure.

Generally, cars I've owned from new end up averaging somewhere close to the EU "urban" fuel consumption figure.

But it's the nature of testing. You've got to have a rigid set of conditions and parameters to ensure the tests are repeatable. Once those conditions are established, manufacturers can tweak their cars' ECU maps and gearing to perform well in the tests.

Motorbike manufacturers have done this for years to pass noise testing ... the drive-by noise test stipulates a maximum dB reading at so many metres at such-and-such a speed. So the manufacturers lean the fuel metering right off at the rpm corresponding to the test speed. This is why dynojet kits, power commanders etc sell so well, to overcome the inevitable flat-spot in the power curve introduced by the tweaks to pass noise tests.
Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - Big John

My Skoda Superb 1.9 pd 100 has a CO2 of 149 and is supposed to do 48mpg. The real life normal average is closer to 49mpg but drops to about 46 when cruising at high speed abroad (130kph+). Strangely its onboard computer is usually 2-3 mpg on the pessimistic side compared to tank to tank calculations.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - nortones2

Indeed. "manufacturers can tweak their cars' ECU maps and gearing to perform well in the tests." Its on a rolling road, only 16kms in extent, and SFAIK, carried out by the maker. As there are no standards for hybrids, certain manufacturers produce fairy-tale numbers. Possibly due to tweaking the battery power to gain as much as possible from running off-engine. Hence the laughable figures for RR and Lexus, 2 tonne plus, barn-like frontal area vehicles, with apparently lower CO2 emissions than a Jazz or other small, light, modest engined cars.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - Pondlife

barn-like frontal area vehicles, with apparently lower CO2 emissions than a Jazz

If it's done on a rolling road, then aerodynamics won't make affect the figures.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - nortones2

Thus highlighting the ludicrous method adopted! And resulting in a lower VED/evasion of congestion charges for guzzlers.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - injection doc

"Monsieur Kev" your Mondeo is iether being driven too hard or has something wrong. I too have owned these in the past and done a few hindred thousand miles with them including Jaguar X-types and 45-50+ is the norm. 38 is the worst i would get with just town driving. In fact on a long steady run if i drove like a nun I could achive nearer 58-60 mpg.

The VED works in our favour !

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - Sparrow

I don't know how recent your X types were, but my mate's 2008 X type 2.2 D estate does 38mpg, maybe getting just over 40 on a decent run. He's quite disappointed. My BMW 318D touring (also 2008, 143 BHP) averages 49 mpg in the summer and 46-47 in the winter. I can just get over 50 on a decent run dring reasonable gently. According to BMW I should get over 60. On a mega gentle country drive, imagining an egg between my foot and the gas pedal, only acheived mid 50s. I wouldn't want to drive like that normally, it was not really fe, except on an empty road.

These manufacturers' figures are complete fiction. as mentioned there is no air resistance at all, and the acceleration required to do the test is very gentle. I ignore all manufacturers' figures and look for a road test that has an actual number. I don't really care too much how they driove, at least I know that doing some reasonable driving it is possible to get what the road test man got. Can we have more road tests with real mpgs please.

I reckon the old system, where we had fixed 56mph and so on figures were more representative. There was no acceleration involved, but you were pretty sure that if you drove at 56 mph, or 70 or whatever, you would get close to the manufacturer's quoted consumption. For mostly motorway driving it was a very good guide. They scrapped that on the grounds it was not representative of normal driving. Now look what we've got.

Edited by Sparrow on 26/03/2011 at 11:49

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - 659FBE

This seems to be a real can of worms and there's little doubt that some vehicles just don't match up to their stated fuel consumption figures. One possibility for error is DPF regeneration - I'm pretty sure that the official "test" does not include a regeneration cycle which is wasteful on fuel and consequently a pollution hazard.

I am not enamoured of VAG's integrity as a maufacturer - for instance introducing an old model (Passat) to market with a new sticker (Skoda Superb) and retaining all of the design faults including the dangerous ones such as water ingress to the brake servo. However, as mentioned by an earlier poster in relation to this vehicle, fuel consumption is to spec.

I have the 130PS PD engine (AWX) which easily meets its stated fuel consumption and can better these figures with a little effort. On holiday, I managed a round trip of 800 miles on one tank (65l) which is about 56 mpg.

Not bad for a big barge - well done VAG, although I think the later diesel engines are less good.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - daveyjp

So how should mpg be tested?

Manufacturers will tweak their cars to achieve the best results whatever test you use.

The figures are for purely for comparison, but I have never had huge discrepancies between urban and combined figures with any vehicle I've owned.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - injection doc

well Sparrow, one of my X-types was a 2.2d saloon and one of the best and most economical cars I have owned for its size and performance. Perhaps mine was good as it would of been pre-DPMF ! these can knock about 10 mpg, My mates Volvo S80 D5 pre DPMF would always do 48+ but his later S80 with BPMF only gets 38MPG and he's been back to Volvo loads of time with it.

My 2.2d would do 48-53 with ease and 57 if you drove like a nun. 38 was worst i ever got with just town running only. I gave up using supermarket fuel though as the MPG did drop significantly and with Ultimate diesel it was brill

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - jfoster1993

Its all about your style of driving. Ive got a 1.4 fiesta diesel, with a stated mpg of 67 combined. If i drive without being cautious, my figures easily fall to mid 50's, but if im being careful, even around town i get 60-62 mpg, and on the motorway, if i keep myself to just below the 70mph speed limit, i can get up to 85mpg out of it on a full run. So you can usually work on the tests being done as if the person is always driving in eco mode, but they are possible if you choose to be cautious with it. I think its worst in diesels because, as im sure you have noticed at times, putting your foot down shoots a tonne of unburnt diesel out of the exhaust, which really brings the figures down around town.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - unthrottled

putting your foot down shoots a tonne of unburnt diesel out of the exhaust, which really brings the figures down around town.

I'm not sure. Black smoke looks bad but there's very little fuel value in it. I'm not sure that acceleration in itself hurts economy if you use the gears properly. High speed and braking are what kill mileage. I still hear people claiming to get 50+mpg in a full size car at 90mph-and it just isn't true!

Actually this thread is hilarious-some of the misconceptions regarding the NEDC beggar belief: "The rolling road doesn't include air resistence"!

"Isn't it outrageous that the manufaccturers have tweaked the car so that I can enjoy a VED cut and BIK tax cuts??".

Morons.

Edited by unthrottled on 12/07/2011 at 16:24

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - SteveLee

The plant-food emissions/fuel consumption tests favour automatics (and "robotised" manuals) as they are allowed to change up into whatever gear they want where as manuals go through cycles in the "same" test where they are forced to hold a certain gears. Given that most (proper) Autos still come out worse in the end shows how inefficient they are.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - madf

The OP said:

"

Apart from WHICH magazine, very few reviewers of new cars take manufacturers to task for the ridiculous claims they make for CO2 and mpg. It is very hard to take any of these figures seriously as car makers appear to have carte blanche to make all sorts of false claims without anyone seriously this fantasy world, far removed from what you should expect."

A ridiculous claim. Manufacturers just report what their cars achieved in tests. Anyone who believes these tests are real word and is annoyed should spend 15 minutes reading how they are done and stop complaining on a forum...

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - Craigdm

You must have a duff Mondeo !

I ran a 2.2 ST TDCi version and always got over 40mpg, even when spanking it. General day to day stuff was 44mpg. The only reason I sold it was I started to get worried about all the problems with the injectors. As luck would have it, the dreaded Yellow Light of Death came on 2 days before I was due to drop it off at the main dealers for the trade in !

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - OldSkoOL

I dont know about co2 but my MPG figure exceeds the official average of 37mpg.

I have no trouble averaging 42-43mpg average on my journeys.

Yet in previous cars, same driving style, same mannor, same route my MPG was about 38-39mpg when the official average was 45mpg.

So perhaps it depends on the car.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 13/07/2011 at 11:43

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - WellKnownSid

It depends on the driver, and the car.

My diesel FIAT with 330+k on the clock is getting around 5.5l/100km... whereas official figures are only 5.7.

The petrol Fabia with just 22k on the clock is getting 5.6 vs official figures of 5.7.

The 6 cyl Merc is managing 9 vs a whopping 10.9l/100km official figure.

So, in every case I can easily beat official figures, but each car is different - so each car needs to be driven differently. Some examples:

In the case of the FIAT, it's a diesel, so regardless of whether I'm on the motorway (at the legal limit) or in town - consumption remains pretty static. Diesels seem to do economy without really thinking, but DO need to be warmed up. Short journeys only work for the Summer months - Winter economy requires more thought e.g. travelling longer legs first to ensure the engine is warmed up.

The petrols are different - in the case of the Fabia, it's a small engine so consumption can go through the roof at and above legal motorway speeds. Knocking 5-10kph off the speed can make a big difference. The advantage of the small 3 cyl engine, though, is that it can coast downhill in gear well... when consumption falls to zero.

The Merc is an old-fashioned auto - so you have to know how to drive it for best economy, which can sometimes mean taking the car out of drive so you can use engine braking and be in the right gear coming out of a bend without that wasted second of kickdown. Knowing the shift points also helps plan ahead and ensure the car is always in the right gear.

Three very different cars, and three very different driving styles required for each to get the best out of them.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - jamie745

This argument has been had before. Its very difficult to ever give a definitive figure for fuel economy and emissions, yes the test methods may be stupid but its probably more accurate than anything else. The variable real world conditions that you'll encounter in your car ownership are pretty impossible to put into a standardised test. So they test all cars indoors on the same methods and take the average from that, now in the real world there will be different factors. Aerodynamics of the vehicle, the speed you drive at, the types of tyres on the car, the inflation rate of those tyres, your gear change ratio's, your day-to-day use of the car (if its used primarily for short trips it'll be less efficient, fact). Whether the road is wet or dry. Wind resistance. Temperature. How much weight is in the vehicle. Whether the Air Con is on or not, whether the windows are up or down. The drivers ability to read the road. The sorts of roads you drive on etc etc etc all of these have an impact on fuel economy and there will never be a test thorough enough to give a definitive figure. Unless every car was tested on a pre-determined route of the same length involving every type of road, testing it with a full load, testing it with just the driver, testing it with and without cargo, with and without air con, in summer and then in winter, on a windy day and then on a calm day, testing it in the rain, testing it in the dry etc oh and all of them would have to be done by the same driver driving the same way (the squishy bit behind the wheel does still have a bearing on how the vehicle performs) you'll never be able to make it fully accurate.

Like if you get a car, drive it quickly with harsh acceleration and harsh braking and use it constantly for short trips on a wet day with a boot full of junk and your Air con on then you will not achieve the manufacturers quoted average. Even if you drive with an empty load on a fine day with just you in the car you still might not, even if you drive very carefully you still might not, as the aerodynamics, tyres, road conditions etc could still all play a part. The EU doesnt know where/when/how you're going to use the vehicle when you buy it, they put these figures there as a guess, a rough idea, to give the customer some idea of what to expect which is better than nothing at all. When calculating whether a car will be viable to run on your mileage, head over to fuel-economy.co.uk and use their calculators, but when entering mpg, be conservative. If it says it does 47.1 then put 42 in, dont rely entirely on a machine's average reading.

They can make pretty definitive tests for how you'll fare in an accident, they can pretty much guarantee the reliability of cars (in the 60s people didnt expect cars to actually work all the time, now we demand it, and usually get it) so if the worst thing you can fault them on is their fuel economy figures arent exact, then thats pretty good going.

As for VED i personally preferred the old system of under 1.5 is one rate and over 1.5 is another, people will say "yes but a 1.6 and a 6litre were then treated the same" yes well holes still appear the way it is now. I do agree there are some good sides to the new system, the low-tax cars are a very nice proposition but as with ANY system it cannot ever fully cover everything.

According to its official figures, my car's emissions is 259g per km, pushing it very narrowly into VED Band M at £460 for a 12 month disc. An 09 plate Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Zetec comes into VED Band C, with 115g per km, weighing in at just £30 a year. Sounds great.

But if i cover 5000 miles in my car that means total emissions of 2083.9 Kilograms.

If the Focus covers 15,000 miles that means total emissions of 2776.1 kilograms.

Obviously that makes the Focus the kinder car to the planet (if you believe in all that stuff) seeing as it covered far more miles, polluting much less per mile and that is why it is rewarded with lower VED with it being more frugal and effecient, cant argue with that and thats obviously what the system is set up for but the fact is The Focus will have done more environmental damage in a year than my S-Type but will have cost around 6% of the S-Type's VED rate to tax for the year.

In many cases the economical diesels which will be used for heavy mileage can pollute more than the bigger cars which are typically bought by people with lower mileage yet the highest polluter per year will be charged less tax. But of course as ive always said we all have access to this information before we buy a car, i know a Focus Diesel doing three times my mileage will pollute more yet im the most severely punished by the tax man but i had the choice, like we do in a free nation, of whether to purchase that vehicle or not. If i objected that heavily i had the option to not buy it.

Edited by jamie745 on 14/07/2011 at 01:54

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - unthrottled

I pointed out the stupidity of the VED system ages ago and you scoffed at me! hasthe Jag changed your mind?

The only sensible taxation method is fuel duty (the rate is a different debate!) since it penalises actual consumption, not theoretical fuel economy.

Mercedes-Benz C Class Blue Efficiency 220 - Validity of CO2 Emissions - jamie745

Nothings changed my mind, my point was the same as it is now, that you have a choice of whether to buy that car or not. Ultimatley the purchaser of the Focus in that scenario wins in the long run, they travelled further and were taxed less. That car is obviously the most efficient and thats what the system is set up to reward. The main hole in the plan is the fact that these economical cars are generally purchased (diesels especially) by people who will be doing heavy mileage, and cars like mine are typically bought by people who wont, so typically, on average, the Focus TDCi's, 407 HDi's etc up and down the land will be polluting more throughout their lifetimes as they will be used more.

Im not against the system, i'd be happy if they just left it alone, when a Government keeps fiddling its difficult to plan for their next move, if they just leave it alone then we know what to expect. I like the way the system can be "beaten" in some way, like with the maths i demonstrated above, i like it, i think thats all part of it. And it encourages people to buy cars like the Focus TDCi which is obviously the point of the system. With any system there should always be a method of playing it, beating it and getting something for nothing, its part of it.

I was expecting a long dissection of my fuel economy segment regarding official figures from you, im surprised to see it did not materialise, about how im all wrong or something, as usually you come up with something :P

I was simply blown away by your post evoking theoretical arguments and technical detail-the very evils you professed to hate!

Before long we'll be supping an electronic pint and mulling over the nuances of brake specific air consumption of indirect direction diesels.

No we wont. We just...we just wont. I dont think i said anything too technical, most of it is common sense and information gained and applied in many conversations ive had with people who go "i dont get the mpg it says in the book!! scandal scandal!!"