Peugeot 306 (1997) / petrol - Car stalls when stopping - ah207

Me again. Problem with the Peugeot again. Grrr! The car starts fine from cold, but in the last couple of days, it has started to stall as soon as I come to a stop (for example at traffic lights or a junction). The revs just die - even though the clutch is disengaged. It starts up again immediately, but I have to keep the gas pedal slightly depressed to keep the revs up. HOWEVER - when I eventually park, switch off completely, then start up again but DON´T actually move off, it doesn´t stall at all - and continues idling just fine. The idle only dies when I come to a stop from a moving position.

Any ideas/tips/suggestions welcome - including taking an axe to it (as seems likely by the day!)

Edited by ah207 on 21/03/2011 at 17:58

Follow up.. - ah207

Just a follow up (inacse it helps anyone). The engine stall problem disappeared of its own accord. So whatever it was that happened - just happened over a couple of days and without me doing anything, it vanished. The car doesn't stall anymore.

Follow up.. - jamie745

Another superb advert for the benefits of owning a Peugeot!

IT MENDS ITSELF!!!

Follow up.. - unthrottled

How much fuel was in it when the problem occurred?

I had a car that did this and i came to the conclusion that it could only be caused by driving around with very little petrol in thew tank. The car was crude and the engine had no way of 'knowing' if the vehicle was moving or not. I figure that braking to a halt caused the fuel pick up to be temporarily uncovered and allowing air into the fuel line which momentarily starved the injectors of fuel. If the car was in gear, you wouldn't notice, but if it was in neutral it would stumble or stall.

Can't prove it though!

Follow up.. - ah207

It was low on fuel when the problem occurred a few weeks ago. Infact, it was only 2 days later that I tried it to drive it again - and went straight to the petrol station nearby for a fill up (because I didn't want to stray too far from home incase it stalled for good). But you may be onto something when you mention the stall only occurring when in neutral - because that day, the stalls only happened when I tried to bring the car to rest from a moving position and in doing so, I would naturally press the clutch down in order to take the foot off the gas pedal and onto the brake.

The other problem that I'm still sometimes having (same car, regardless of amount of uel)) is that when the engine is cold, it almost always strats first time. But after a journey, if I switch off for 5 or 10 mins and then I try to start again, I still get that 'choked cough' response - then I turn the key back, wait a few seconds, and try again. It usually starts after the 2nd or 3rd ignition.

These observations would seemto point to fuel line and/injector issue.