Hit by uninsured driver - Taxedout

Hi,

I was hit by an uninsured driver and my car was written off.

The uninsured/unlicenced party overtook on a bend, crashed into the car I was following, then spun into me.

My car was extensively damaged, and also caught fire resulting in a total loss.

No serious injuries to anyone (amazingly) but plenty of cuts & bruises, and I lost quite a vew valuable possessions in the fire.

My car was a 9 month old Aveo 1.2 S A/C Admiral insurance don't offer a new replacement during the first 12 months after registration, and added insult to injury by offering a £4,500 settlement - minus my £500 excess.

I've rejected that offer, but would appreciate some advice about the best way forward with all this.

A perusal of a leading car sales website showed 25 1.2 Aveos that were less than 12 months old. the average price was £6,800.

Recovering uninsured losses appears to be a non-starter. The uninsured driver has no resources, and would probably return to his home country if sued.

I have a fully comp. policy with legal assistance & personal injury cover . So far, Admiral have been reluctant to trigger those aspects of my policy. They don't actually 'refuse' - they are just terminally vague about it, and promise to set things in motion, but don't do so.

Finally, the car is on finance with a settlement of £4,100. If Admiral can't be persuaded to increase their offer I will end up with zero, and will even have to pay the additional £100 to clear the finance.

All this, for something that was absolutely not my fault.

This all seems very unfair.

Edited by Taxedout on 06/03/2011 at 14:57

Hit by uninsured driver - Falkirk Bairn

£4.8-£6K seems the asking price for a 1 yr old car <10K - chase the to up the payment.- copy adverts and send them off as proof.

Unfortunately if your main gripe is with Admiral having Admiral's legal cover does not allow the Legal Assist team to chase Admiral - you are better with standalone legal cover as they can challenge / sue anyone.

With hindsight GAP insurance would have paid in your circumstances bringing you back to invoice etc but that is not an option after the event.

The only good news is that you are largely unhurt/ get better very quickly

Hit by uninsured driver - Collos25

Although the accident was not your fault you will probably loose your no claims bonus until your insurer reclaims the money from the Uninsured drivers fund and you will have to declare it as a no fault accident on any future policy for five years which will more than likely have a financial implication.Having had the same happen to me my advice would be to keep on top of the situation and get some independant legal advice its not as cut and dried as you may think.

Hit by uninsured driver - injection doc

I'm sorry to hear of your horrendous experience, but however frustrating it is there are insurance policies on offer to cover just these senario's.

One is gap insurance and NCB protection. Whilst it is frustrating that if everyone is insured you shouldnt need them sadly the world doesnt work like a clock.

To buy a brand new car without cap when its on finance is risky. I always buy GAP and few years ago had the bad experince of having an 18 month old Jaguar written off and the GAP paid the 10k differnce to buy a brand new replacement.

I would battle with Admiral yet over there offer.

best rgds ID