Peugeot 205 diesel - Peugeot 205 not started for 12 months, potential p - robdel

Hi everyone, great forum, please could you help. Long term 205 lover but mechanical knowledge zero. Can't find answers on internet search. The description of the car I am looking at potentially buying is:

'Excellent condition, has had full service history.....been stood now for over a year, hence declared sorn'.

I appreciate the battery might be flat but are there any other potentially more serious problems? (Engine not started for over a year)

Thanks so much for your help.

Peugeot 205 diesel - Peugeot 205 not started for 12 months, potential p - Collos25

If it has not been moved then it will probably have flats on the tyres,

Peugeot 205 diesel - Peugeot 205 not started for 12 months, potential p - davmal
Brakes will probably be rusted up too, maybe even seized on.
I did this with a car a year ago, charged the battery, checked the fluids and started her up. Give it a backwards and forwards a few times to free the brakes off and derust the discs. A short run somewhere quiet, change the oil, filter and air filter fairly soon afterwards. If you're not inclined that way, pop it in for a service. Soon afterwards one or two other bits and pieces started to come to light, such as handbrake cable wasn't as free as it could be, wipers had taken a permanent set, central locking was intermittent as door mechanisms were stiff.
All in all, niggly bits and pieces nothing horrific a few quid and a bit of working things through their range.
Peugeot 205 diesel - Peugeot 205 not started for 12 months, potential p - bathtub tom

>>mechanical knowledge zero.

If you're going to be paying someone else to sort it, then it's probably not worth it.

You have to ask why was it stood for a year, perhaps an expensive problem the owner couldn't afford to fix?

Peugeot 205 diesel - Peugeot 205 not started for 12 months, potential p - injection doc

cambelt and waterpump, seriously recommend changing after standing for a year apart from everything else mentioned.

To be honest it doesn't do a car any good ;left standing and may be more trouble and expense than its worth,

Peugeot 205 diesel - Peugeot 205 not started for 12 months, potential p - Vitesse6

Have a look at the April issue of Practical Classics - article in there on re-commisioning a stored car