Mazda 3 - Servicing - MadDawg39

I have been quoted the sum of £428 for a 75000 full service form my local main dealer. Looked on the internet and found a national network called "ServicingStop". They are quoting £228 for a full service and MOT. They organise a local garage to collect the car, service/MOT it, and ring you to pay the bill. Once you have paid, they deliver the car back.

Has anyone any experience of this group and any advice on whether to use them?

Mazda 3 - Servicing - bathtub tom

It sounds too good to be true and if something sounds too good to be true.................

Do you really want to give your car to someone else on the basis of a 'phone call?

You don't know where it's going, what materials will be used, or if their idea of a 'full service' is the same as yours.

'They ring you to pay the bill. Once you have paid, they deliver the car back.' They can add any number of extras and they've got your car!

Mazda 3 - Servicing - ForumNeedsModerating

75K service may entail alot more service items than an 'plain vanilla' oil service. Dependent on age/mileage: brake fluid, coolant, a/con service/check, gearbox oil check/service etc.

Ask the dealer for a breakdown of the cost & items included, see if it stacks-up.

As far as non-specific 'service' costs from a generic supplier - I'd need alot more detail to make a comparison & come to a conclusion about value or otherwise - i also like a place to take a product/service back to in the event of a problem.

Thanks Woodbines. Spoke to the dealer this morning and this service includes new coolant, brake fluid and new spark plugs (at £60). They are doing a lot of work and I do intend to keep the car for some time yet.

May turn out to be better value than the outrageous cost would suggest.

I think you are right, Bathtub. They were supposed to send an e-mail to confirm which local garage was going to do the work but I didn,t get the e-mail. I have, therefore cancelled the booking with them.

Like you, I was unhappy to hand my car to some garage and then be held to ransome before getting it back.

Thanks for your reply.

Mazda 3 - Servicing - Engineer Andy

My recent (1.6 petrol) 5 year/62.5k service (it had actually done less than half that) was just under £200, which is actually cheaper than was originally quoted when I bought the car new. At that time, the 6 year/75k service was quoted at £369, so I suspect it won't much different to that this time next year.

The £428 price MadDawg39 has been quoted seems a bit high (although actually mileage, and therefore wear and tear, can make a different to what is needed to be replaced, as is if its a petrol or diesel), however I know car servicing prices vary even from one main dealer to the next - the nearerst one to me (Letchworth, Hertfordshire) was (at the time I asked for servicing prices in late 2005) about 10-15% cheaper than in more "affluent" areas such as south Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire.

Whether it is still that much cheaper, I don't know, but its always worth checking a dealer in a smaller/less affluent town/area, as their lower rents/rates (than large towns/cities/affluent areas) may allow the dealer to offer more competitive servicing rates, if you want to keep going to a main dealer (for piece of mind). Its worth considering finding a dealer near to where you work or where major work clients are, which you could use for the day whilst you were working.

Bear in mind that, even though the Mazda3 is a very reliable car, any manufacturer-led recalls (i.e. not serious enough to be govt ones) will only (I think) be passed on to customers who use the dealer servicing facilites.

Mazda 3 - Servicing - daveyjp

Talk to friends and find a good local garage. Toyota quote for a four year service on our Aygo - almost £400. Local garage £130 for the same service. Prior to this it went to the local main dealer, but they never greased the hinges, never copper greased the battery terminals, never touched up the scratch on the door reveal.

The only job they didn't do was change the pollen filter, as for some reason it's not quoted in the service schedule. I did it myself in 20 seconds - part was £7. Toyota quoted £60 to change it!

Mazda 3 - Servicing - Trilogy

I've just found a local mobile mechanic with AA Breakdown background and 7.5 years as a mechnic at a Mercedes dealership. He quoted half the price which I'd pay at my indi for a cambelt using a full kit change and waterpump. He's also given good advice over the phone, which saved me a call out fee from my normal garage when I had a problem last Sunday. He didn't mind being contacted on a Sunday!