Vauxhall Astra H - Petrol or Diesel - crol

I am looking to buy a 3 year old Astra, either a 1.6 Petrol or 1.7 Cdti Diesel. I am swayed towards the diesel at the moment, but am a bit wary because of the potential oil pump failures that is mentioned in the review on this site. Would appreicate any help.

Crol

Vauxhall Astra H - Petrol or Diesel - mrnikko

I had the dubious honour of having both versions of this car and i would plump for the petrol every time. I had a 1.6 petrol fine car 12,000 miles no problems, had to swap to run out a two year old company car with the 1.7 nDti engine and well, new radiator, new clutch, followed by new cylinder head and then new wheel bearing. Car had done 68,000 when I got it went away with 82,000 on it good riddance. If you look at the diesel look at the coolant tank very carefully as that initially caused all my trouble i think.

Vauxhall Astra H - Petrol or Diesel - Sam49

I've driven loads of rental Astras over many miles for work.

I like them, underrated. I sometimes feel they are cars many people decide not to like based on zero experience of them (like Nissan Almeras for example)

I agree with most of what HJ says in his review, though I think they are much more refined than a Focus on the motorway (which is basically what I use them for). My experience generally of Vauxhalls is that they are very good for ploughing up and down A-roads. The interior is a bit odd in someways (indicators, lack of storage) but nothing that you don't get used to and it feels solid.

I agree with above post - the 115bhp 1.6 is a nice engine and a really good all rounder. I've only driven 1.9 diesels, which are good to drive, so I can't comment about the 1.7s.

I can only base my experiences on driving them rather than long term reliability/mpg considerations, but if it was my money I'd go for a 1.8 VVT - bit more torquey than the 1.6, but without the "potential" expensive problems of a diesel that are highlighted regularly.

Vauxhall Astra H - Petrol or Diesel - Rebecca_RJNetShowroom

^^^ This is true and also diesels aren't always quite so good on fuel as we like to believe. I must say Vauxhalls overall are pretty good at getting reasonable fuel economy and they do drive nicely. Their 1.3 diesel engine is ridiclulously good on fuel but then it is probably a bit too small if you are looking at 1.6's, you may find it too slow.

Have you thought about a Mazda 3? They are competing with the Astra, Golf, Focus market? Very reliable Japanese Motor and drives really well.

Vauxhall Astra H - Petrol or Diesel - crol

Thanks for the replies. I will look at the Mazda, though because I've had such reliable astras before I may just stay with them. Old habits die hard.

I really need the fuel economy but am just wary of potential problems with diesels which I've heard can be expensive to fix.

Thanks again

Crol