Citroen - Deposit on car - CobbusKnobbus

After receiving warning from We Buy Any car that my car was on it's last legs I went and put down a deposit by cheque on a second hand car at a dealers on Saturday. However after a sleepless night last night I've asked the dealer this morning to "hold fire" for a couple of hours as I've since a very similar model cheaper elsewhere.

If I decide not to buy the original car is it likely I will lose that deposit as the dealer has said that it's gone for a service and MOT this morning. So despite the fact that I've phoned him at 10am - would I be likely to lose deposit and even possibly incur further costs?

Edited by CobbusKnobbus on 14/02/2011 at 11:02

Citroen - Deposit on car - Armstrong Sid

After receiving warning from We Buy Any car that my car was on it's last legs I went and put down a deposit by cheque on a second hand car at a dealers on Saturday

Just like that.........

Are we meant to believe this?

Citroen - Deposit on car - CobbusKnobbus

What's not to believe? It mat not have been as spontaneous as that but I was reeling from the possible "scare tactics" given on the valuation, knew that I could get £200 more from the dealer part ex, so thought I'd better take it but after sleeping or trying to sleep on it, decided that we'd been hasty...

Citroen - Deposit on car - bonzo dog

Hi CK, Very Likely, is the answer.

Without knowing exactly what the paperwork says it is likely that you have entered into a contract with the seller to buy the car.

My understanding of the law is that he can't force you to complete the transaction but could sue for loss of profit if he subsequently sells it for less than to you.

Similarly if he incurrs costs directly as a result of the contract ie preparing the car to a retail standard, he could sue for these costs.

Instead he simply keeps the deposit.

If others, better qualified, know otherwise please let me know

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that keeping the deposit is reasonable as you have broken the contract