astra 1.9 sri 150 - diesel mpg - grahamwiz

Hi, I have just had my 07 astra 1.9 serviced at a local garage (80k miles), and the fuel economy has dropped from 48 ish mpg down to 40mpg. I have contacted the garage and they say they have only changed the oil and all the filters as per service schedule. Can antone think of anything obvious that could have caused this !! I have filled the car up a couple of times and reset the trip computer but no change, still 40 mpg.

Help Graham

astra 1.9 sri 150 - diesel mpg - Peter.N.

To do a reliable check you need to brim the tank, then the next time you fill it you will be able to work out the consumption more accurately. There are many factors that affect the economy, they way you drive, the sort of journeys you do, the traffic speed and the temperature, are all thes things the same as they were before?

astra 1.9 sri 150 - diesel mpg - grahamwiz

To do a reliable check you need to brim the tank, then the next time you fill it you will be able to work out the consumption more accurately. There are many factors that affect the economy, they way you drive, the sort of journeys you do, the traffic speed and the temperature, are all thes things the same as they were before?

Yep, everything the same, I have owned the car for three years and it's the first time the consumption has dropped to 40. But I will do as you say, rather than rely on the onboard computer.

Ta

astra 1.9 sri 150 - diesel mpg - track

Does your vehicle have the euro 4 fitted fluid charged particulate filter on it? If your not sure have a look underneath and see if the l;arge under car exhaust box has 2 small pipes running to it, similar size to brake lines. If it does then it has the filter Im talking about. This system causes poor MPG when it needs recharging. To recharge it you simply drive 30 miles at 50 mph in the highest gear possible. That give the vehicle a constant to work off so it can recharge the system. A friends car was the same, one garage quoted over a garnd to fit a new filter!! Main dealer told him to do the constant drive thing.