Keeping a car on the drive - fredthefifth

If keeping a car on the drive does it need to be taxed and/or insured. My better half reckons law has been changed and it does!

I won't go into the circumstances unless its needed but its likely to be there for a few months and won't need to go on the road during that time.

Keeping a car on the drive - Mike H
Logic dictates that it needs to be taxed unless you declare it SORNed. And to tax it you need insurance.
Keeping a car on the drive - Reentrant

Maybe your better half is thinking of the "continous insurance" proposals. From the gov.uk website:

"The continuous insurance enforcement scheme will provide a new fixed penalty for people who ignore official reminders that their insurance has expired. This will apply to vehicles that are not declared as being off the road through SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) and not insured. Continuing offenders will risk having their vehicle seized and destroyed.

Where a motor vehicle isn't used on a road or other public place, there’s no requirement to purchase insurance cover for 'on road risk' as long as a SORN declaration has been made. The continuous insurance enforcement scheme is expected to come into force during 2011".

Reckon you've got it spot on there Reentrant!

Thanks, FTF.

Keeping a car on the drive - tanvir

I'd be tempted to have a policy on it anyway, incase someone veers off the road into it, it gets set alight somehow, a tree falls on it etc etc etc

Keeping a car on the drive - jc2

It might even get stolen!

Keeping a car on the drive - Dwight Van Driver

Continious Insur ance notification was brought into being on 4th February this year. No Insurance on the motor then SORN it.........like Excise........or else

dvd

Ok, thanks all for the info. BTW I agree with the new legislation. It's a second car that I might hold on to for somebody for 3 or 4 months even though I won't need it myself.

FTF