VW Sharan 1.9 Tdi - VW Sharan cabin heater problem - silverdales
I have a 57 plate VW Sharan 1.9 TDI I have heater problems when it is icy cold outside when it is icy outside the engine takes ages to reach the normal operating temperature such as 90 straight up on the dashboard heater gauge. in that snowy weather I was stuck on the motorway for five hours with the engine mainly just idling and it still didn't get to 90 because of this the climate control panel along with the engine does not seem to provide hot air around the cabin until it reaches 90 when it is not so cold outside say around 8+ C in the engine will get to normal temperature quicker I am not sure you'd be AUX heater is working either sometimes I hear some strange worrying noises coming from the back of the car anyone have any ideas of what it could all be? Cheers
VW Sharan 1.9 Tdi - VW Sharan cabin heater problem - fredthefifth

Are you **SURE** that the aux heater is working ok. What you describe matches failure of that to work correctly. If that is the case then it is usually the glow plug that is a reasonable DIY job, or relatively quick garage job as long as they don't try and get to to buy a new unit. Had similar with my Alhambra and a £50 glow plug (not sure of current price) sorted it.

If you go for a garage then try and get a good independent. I understand that main dealers often want to replace the whole unit rather than repair components.

Have a look at fordgalaxy.org for loads of discussion on these. Together with aircon problems it is a common fault on that car.

FTF.

Edited by fredthefifth on 10/02/2011 at 12:37