Suzuki Wagon R+ 2005 - Strange vibration/rubbing noise - stunorthants26

My car is in at the dealers right now as they are trying to trace the cause of a rubbing noise. It sounds much like a wheel bearing sort of rumble but the bearings seem fine.

The noise happens only above 45 mph and becomes inaudible above 75mph, its much worse under load up hills. Whats puzzling is that it seems much slower than road speed and the dealer is sort of disputing whether its a real problem although hasnt given up.

Im assuming because its slower than roadspeed, the issue is somewhere in the drivetrain itself.

Each time you get the noise, you get a corresponding vibration through the floor and Im not happy this is normal. Its not a bad vibration, but the reasonance is enough to give you a headache after a half hour, which doesnt seem normal to me.

Any clues what could cause such symptoms?

Suzuki Wagon R+ 2005 - Strange vibration/rubbing noise - SteveLee
Check the tyres carefully for signs of scrubbing/weird wear patterns, has the car been heavily curbed or crashed? Misaligned wheels/steering can cause strange oscillating noises.

The car hasnt been crashed, only work its had done was a rear wing repaint for a scratch.

The front tyres need balancing, but I had a chat with the workshop manager who is handling it and he said he didnt think it was tyres, but hes getting them done to cut out any tyre related vibrations.

My sort of lingering thought is its a driveshaft issue somewhere, but I get the feeling Im going to be chasing this one for a while.

Suzuki Wagon R+ 2005 - Strange vibration/rubbing noise - bathtub tom

>>only work its had done was a rear wing repaint

Has it never had any gearbox work? ;>)

Suzuki Wagon R+ 2005 - Strange vibration/rubbing noise - unthrottled
There was a loud rumbling noise from my dad's focus that he traced to the back axle. There was no abnormal wear on the tyres so he summised that it must be the wheel bearings. Changed the wheel bearings-noise continued! Eventually the tyres were changed-noise went away. It was just the cheap tyres.

I've recently replaced the front wheel bearings-The noise was intermittent-worse on warm up (quiet when hot and from a cold start). Also worse when the weight was on the front of the car ie going downhill or braking. Doesn't fit your symptoms-maybe helpful for elimination?!
Suzuki Wagon R+ 2005 - Strange vibration/rubbing noise - unthrottled
The driveshaft spins at road speed-anything 'upstream' ie towards the engine will spin faster than roadspeed.

Just an update. The dealer thinks the problem is a bearing in the gearbox so they have ordered all the bearings that it could be and will be dropping the box to change whatever they think needs doing. They said they wont know till they crack it open.