Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - Fluidgolf

Evening all,
Hoping for some help and advice please. My Mum has a Mk2 Ford Ka and the local garage I feel are taking advantage of her.

Basically the problem is if she doesn't drive the car everyday then after leaving it for a few days when she starts it a light comes up on the dashboard, suggesting a fault with the electric power steering. She has had it looked at by the garage she bought it from on about 7 occasions, and only on the last occasion did they track down the fault....apparently it needs a new battery which is not covered by the warranty. Why the battery, the car has never shown any other electric problems, always starts first time, the headlights do not surge when you big a big deman on the electrics and there is no other sign of any electric issues.

The car is only 18 months old and had done 6K miles. I feel this is unacceptable, i have had the battery loaded tested by two independant garages and neither of them can find a problem with it. The battery is always above 12 v when cranking and when the engine is running it is receiving a 14V charge from the alternator.

Ford have basically said they are unwilling to support this problem until my Mum pays them £105 for fitting a new battery. Seems very unreasonable to me, not to mention a huge price for a small battery for a car like a KA.

Any advice?

Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - Englishbullterrier

If Ford are saying this is the problem, are they willing to take the battery back if it does NOT fix the issue ???

I'd ask them that, in fact I'd demand it. That would be a way of them backing their diagnosis.......ebt

Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - Dutchie
£105 for fitting a new battery? Are they taking the mickey,if that is what they suggesting the battery is at fault.Do what Englishbullterrier has mentioned and go from their.
Thanks for the advice.

Not sure i am willing to let her line there pockets any further, she has been a loyal customer of the dealership for a number of years and this is her 5th or 6th new Ka.

May get the battery changed elsewhere and advice her not to return to the shambles of a dealership.

Cheers
Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - Vitesse6

I would remind the dealership that she has been a loyal customer for many years, and that if they would like to keep her custom, then a little bit of loyalty on their part wouldn't go amiss.

Surely, they must have a known good battery around the place that they could fit to prove their theory?

Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - jc2

Her problems are not with FORD but with the dealer over which Ford have little or no control and surely it's still within warranty and it's basically a Fiat anyway.

Edited by jc2 on 10/02/2011 at 07:24

I would remind the dealership that she has been a loyal customer for many years, and that if they would like to keep her custom, then a little bit of loyalty on their part wouldn't go amiss.

Surely, they must have a known good battery around the place that they could fit to prove their theory?

Totally agree with this. Tell them they scan stick their future sales where the sun doesn't shine if they are not prepared to show the same loyalty to your Mum as she has shown to them.....

Well I am going with her to the dealership next week to listen to the explanantion as bless her she is in her 60's and not mechanically minded.

Only problem with this is that the service manager knows me, knows I am an engineer (no I mean a real one with mechanical engineering degree, not a vending machine filler upper or whatever else "engineers" are these days!) and we have locked horns on a number of occasion in the past when I was stupid enough to buy a second hand focus from them. In principal if the battery is knackered fair enough, but if I went and bought a battery from them as a spare it would have a two year warranty, however the one originally fitted to the car is only covered by a 12 month warranty......because?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I know after a colleague of mine had serious problems with them Ford UK are monitoring them closely as his car was handed back in an unsafe condition following some work. Maybe a call to Ford UK, or the threat of it, might help focus (no pun intended) there attention.

Whatever happens that Ford garage will not get any more money out of her ever unless they are wiling to help her out now.

Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - Dutchie

I agree about the engineering bit nice to hear from a proper engineer not many around.

You go with her and stand your ground .

Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - davmal

Hasn't Jeremy Clarkson got a Doctorate in Eng?

Certificates don't always mean a lot. Ever heard of a bean tin engineer?

davmal,

Ture certificates dont mean a whole lot but i would like to think that a Bachelor of Engineering Hons Degree and 15 years experience designing and developing aircraft hydraulic flight control systems makes me slightly more quilified to be called an engineer than the "engineers" who come and fix your gas boiler, fill the vending machine or service your car.

Edited by Fluidgolf on 11/02/2011 at 13:01

100% agree !

You sound like the right to sort of person to maybe answer a querie I've had for some time now. I fly alot, and more recently on short hops using 737-800's with the wingtip anti washout upgrade fitted.

When flaps are being set in prep for landing, there's always a loud whine. It actually sounds as if an electric motor is being used to turn a lead screw. Now, with all the available hydraulic power available in these planes, I wondered why they don't use it for flaps ? Is it because of position sensing ?

Cheers..............ebt (PPL)

Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - davmal

Take out a decent english dictionary and look up "engineer".

Afterwards look up highjack.

Very few dealerships are actually owned by Ford(Dagenham Motors,Bristol St.,Polar Group and one or two others.) All the others are privately owned or are part of groups that are nothing to do with Ford-in fact some groups sell many different makes.Ford have little or no control over the actions of these firms.

davmal,

Not entirely sure what point you are attempting to make, nor do I care what ur opinion is towards engineers. An engineer was traditionally thought odf very highly, however the term is now given to anyone who can hold a screwdriver or a spanner.

i am not knocking anyone elses skills and abilities but I for one will never call the chap at the garage who services and maintains my car a vehicle engineer, to me he is a mechanic, the guy who fills our vending machines at work is not a repleshiment engineer and the individual who fitted my sky system is most definitely not a satellite engineer.

I am extremly proud of my profession and my qualifications.

davmal,

Not entirely sure what point you are attempting to make, nor do I care what ur opinion is towards engineers. An engineer was traditionally thought odf very highly, however the term is now given to anyone who can hold a screwdriver or a spanner.

i am not knocking anyone elses skills and abilities but I for one will never call the chap at the garage who services and maintains my car a vehicle engineer, to me he is a mechanic, the guy who fills our vending machines at work is not a repleshiment engineer and the individual who fitted my sky system is most definitely not a satellite engineer.

I am extremly proud of my profession and my qualifications.

An Engineer in the US is exactly that, with formal degree level (minimum) qualifications. Vending machine and copier blokes are NEVER refered to as Engineers, they're Technicians, and quite rightly so....

hi engishbullterrier,

its been a while since ive been in a 737, but most modern aircrafts flaps are still controlled by hydraulic motors. Boeing spent a lot of money trying to reduce the noise within the cabin of there aircraft. in order to achieve this they moved some of the mqin hydraulic pumps to more isolated areas, so the wine you may be referring to could be the leadscrew driving gearboxes that were previous not heard so diwtinctly over other noises.

electric actuation is still in its infancy and the big airlines are yet to take it up as the weight and reliability penalties do not outway the cost and environmental issues of hydraulics yet, that said i dont think it will be long.

So I visited the dealership on Friday with Mum to attend a pre arranged meeting...nothing is ever simple;

The service manager was not there, and had just gone on his lunch, despite knowing we had a meeting.

When he returned half an hour later and stated that they were not sure what was causing the warning light to come on and insisted that the fault was with the battery, I demanded he did a load test on it there and then as I did not believe (and still do not) that is was anything to do with the battery. There “engineer” did a test on the battery in front of me, which the battery passed (no comment required!). Despite this he arrogantly stated that Ford would not investigate the fault any further until the battery was changed. After pointing out my Mum had been a loyal customer of the dealership for some 15 years and has bought a number of new cars from them I asked how much they would like to pay towards the £105 cost of the new battery, to which his reply was a sly smirk “Nothing, it’s not covered by the warranty”

At this point my Mother was reduced to tears by his attitude, I had a lengthy conversation with the dealer manager who said as a gesture of goodwill they would fund the cost of fitting a new battery to the car as Mum was such a good customer.

I have now convinced my Mum not to take her car back there. A very sorry end to a very sorry experience in my opinion. This further cements my low opinion of Ford.

Read what I said above! BTW a KA2 was a Ford manufactured model(about 1998)-what this is is a Fiat manufactured KA -a KA Mk.II.

Ford Ka Mk II - Are Ford being helpful? - Fluidgolf

You are correct this problem relates to a Mk II Ford Ka, not a Ka2, my mistake.

My opinion of Ford stems from there representative locally which is the dealership that is branded/franchised from them. Irrespective of who has ultimate control of them the issue remains.

Also to be able to carry the Ford name/brand I am 100% certain Ford have some control over them. Ford is a huge international brand, they are not going to just let somebody use their name/brand and the associated loyalty some people have towards that.

Ford Ka Mk II - Are Ford being helpful? - jc2

AS I said above Ford have little or no control over the dealers-unless they are one of the few they own-they would love to have more control-issues like this do their image no good.Send a letter with all the facts to:-

C.E.O

Ford Motor Co.

Eagle Way,Warley

Essex.

Edited by jc2 on 22/02/2011 at 16:21

Ford Ka Mk II - Are Ford being helpful? - injection doc

" There “engineer” did a test on the battery in front of me, which the battery passed (no comment required!). "

In recent years I have come across some of the most bizzare problems with cars that end up related to a battery issue, even though the battery surpasses every test! If it was the battery it would come as no suprise. the number of ABs faults and EML lights appearing that have turned out to be caused by a battery defect has been countless.

I gather the biggest issue has been the customer service, well its of no suprise today as customer service generally is appalling and its not only Ford, I have experinced it first hand with many manufacture dealerships including jaguar, loved the cars but the dealership service was appalling! Having also owned a couple of garage buinesses customer expectations can be totally unreasonable and expect so much for nothing nowdays and as a ex business owner can assure you trying to obtain warranty claims etc from manufactures is a joke and all too often we just end up absorbing huge losses, so there has to be a balance.

Well done Fluidgolf. I'd think I'd have slapped the f***er if he'd have smirked at me.

So, you have a new battery now. I think we'll all be interested to if this catually fixed the original issue...............ebt

jc2,

What good would a letter to the ceo of Ford UK do, other than generating a stock response from them?

My concern is with the fact that;

a) The dealer doesn't know what is causing the issue, or indeed how to fix it, (personally not convinced the battery will solve it but only time will tell)

b) It took I don’t know how many trips to the dealer to resolve this, and

c) My mother was so upset she was reduced to tears by the arrogance of the service manager

For d have all the control. If the dealer is that bad, don’t sell them new cars, remove the branding and stop them trading under the name of Ford.

Injection doc,

I agree with your comments, you could speak to anybody in the street and i would suggest most people would have a story or two to tell about a certain brand/dealer/service provider, however in this case I do not believe that expecting a car to operate without warning lights at 18 months old is unreasonable! This particular dealership are all too quick to take the money and deliver the poor service but very slow to respond to problems.

Englishbullterrier

Violence is not normally my style but I have to be honest the urge to run his head over was quite strong!

Fingers crossed this problem is resolved but only time will tell I guess

If YOU don't tell Ford,how will they know? which is why I said send a letter to the CEO;it will have a lot more effect than a call/e-mail to Customer Services! It certainly worked with my daughter's car,after several unsuccessful attempts to fix her electrics,I told her to contact Warley.Her dealer gave her a courtesy car the following day and told her to keep it till her vehicle was sorted.

Nor me Fluidgolf, (ever actually), but that might just tip me over..........ebt

Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - mercury

I agree about the engineering bit nice to hear from a proper engineer not many around.

You go with her and stand your ground .

sounds like ford dealerships use the same script because mine suggested i wrote to ford uk when my power steering pump packed up after only one year. the manager at the dealership repair bay had tried talking to them but got no where, which says alot. i have always bought my fords from this place and they have always done services, mot etc. loyalty does not seem to count for much. i now have written to the dealership hq and still waiting to hear from them. will be interested to hear how you get on

Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - Bryanc

Hi Fluidgolf. I suggest you contact Ford customer service and explain to them what has happened to your mum`s car they will then give you a reference no. and liase between your mum/ you, and the dealership and try to get something done about this issue.This still may not the problem sorted but at least it will bring the issue to Ford`s attention how upset your mum is, also if you have an independant eng. report done on the car it will strengthen your case for compensation directly from Ford who in my experience will normally look on a good customer favourably in this way, providing the service history is up todate .

Hope this helps.

regards

Bryan C

So the light came back on, surprise surprise.

After receiivng yet another tearful telephone call from my Mother I totally lost my temper with the dealership.

The car is going back to them tomorrow, they will be delivering a courtesy/hire car for her to use whilst they await an engineer from Ford to come and assess her KA. They suggested that they would get the car back to her by Friday but i've told them they can keep it for an absolute minimum of seven days after it is "fixed" to ensure the fault is properly gone.

If the car is not fixed i have made it quite clear that it will not be accepted back and we may look at our legal position as currently i believe the car to be unsafe with an undiagnosable steering fault.

Battery my a**e......any Ford "mechanic" who thought that was the solution is crazy.

Keep us all posted Fluidgolf.......baited breath............ebt

So they checked the car today, apparently form speaking to the helpful Engineer from Ford UK this is a problem that has been reported a lot since the recent cold weather.

He was quite upfront and said it was a software issue, the battery in the car is slightly undersize (amps wise) and when it has had a cold soak when the car is first strted and the car software goes through a self check and arms the airbag, primes the fuel pumps etc..... it fails on the last thing to be checked on the system which is the power steering self check.

Apparently Ford are working on a software update, but no time scale associated. I did enquire if a larger amp battery would suffice but was told they had considered that but discounted it at the moment.

This is apparently a priority with Ford to find a resolution.....meanwhile my Mums car has been "reset" and hopefully with the cold weather subsiding the problem will not reoccur......yeah right!

Well, at least you got Ford UK to fully accept your issue, remarkable.

Batteries are prone to low capacity as temps drop (I live in Lavia where it reaches -30c in the Winter). A temporary alternative could be that you trickle/maintenance charge the battery overnight so that your Mum has a full battery each morning, (whilst you have cold weather that is).

It'll be an interesting outcome as no matter what software changes they make, the same batteries will have to power up/initialise the same amount of "systems" as before.

Obviously they didn't do any environmental chamber testing of this model <doh>,,,,,ebt

It's basically a Fiat,remember.Marvellous car,some people say!

Ford Ka2 - Are Ford being helpful? - injection doc

Fluidgolf.

Great to hear that ford have made an admission to a known fault, shame they didn't say that at the begginning ! Just an idea, try putting an analouge volt meter on the battery earth post and the other end on the engine as close to the starter as possible. Try a cold start first thing in the morning and that needle should't move. If it sweeps to 1 0r 2 volts then it needs an extra earth cable, and you may find that is all it needs to stop the battery voltage dropping too low to trigger a fault. I have seen this many times and there was one make of vehicle some years ago I discovered this very issue on that was then turned into a TSB for dealerships. This was related to a restricted performance due to poor earthing causing electrical interference. So often these tech guys overlook the obvious and forget to go back to basic engineering skills. I understand what the software update will be for but its only a cheat for another problem!

Injection doc,

Are you suggesting an extra earth lead between the block and the chassis will help lessen the battery voltage dropping off, not sure i understand where you are coming from?

From discussing with the Ford Tech Guy he kind of eluded to the fact that a software change is cheaper than any other form of fix, like a larger battery. I guess all they will do is alter the intiaition sequence so that the voltage sensitive power steering is checked earlier, or after engine startup, or maybe add a secondary check after starting beofre showing a fault.

jc2,

Thanks for the helpful comment!?!?!

Whether it is a Fiat, Ford, Renault, Honda or Mazda or any other make of car makes no difference, customer service and responsible treamtent from the dealer on such a new car is a fair request.

My Mum loves her Ka (or did), it suits her needs, she just expects it too work.

ebt,

Thankfully it doesn't reach -30 here!!! Sadly Mum does not have a power source in the garage to do that. I went to great expense to fit a power socket in my garage for my motorbije for that very reason.

From doing some digging it would appear that Fiat have introduced a software change to the 500 that seesm to resolve this issue, amazing that Ford did not feel the need to do the same!

As for enviromental testing it all costs! We put whole aircraft's in fridges to predict/show up these sorts of issues before entering service yet car manufacturers are not so keen to test the extremes.

And look where it gets them ! Deep doo doo.

Working, as I did for IBM, we vibrated, froze and almost boiled everything we put on the market, simply to test in all conditions so we DIDN'T get problems in the field, as Ford have here !....ebt

(Ah, a garage without power to me is like bacon without eggs or curry without rice ! :-)

Hi Fluid golf
My suggestion was to put a voltmeter their first to see if there is a fluctuation, if there is it means the earth is not substantle enough causing the live voltage to drop more than it should, this in turns means that when the modules are running through their selfchecks if a voltage parameter is not meet it will flag a fault.
If there is not fluctuation an an analouge volt meter then an extra earth wont help but as I did a fix the other day, there was 3 volts across these earth points at cranking on a new car still under warranty and the dealers were still failing to identify why 3 faults were flagging at cranking . Fitted an extra earth cable £6.00 metre and 1.20 for pair of eyelets , soldered the eyelets to the cable and fitted one end under the starter bolt ( earth) and one to the earth post of the battery and this sorted numerous issues the car had been suffering with from new. A software fix is just going to change the parameters at which point a fault flags up! Still worth having the upgrade but I always still like to check the obvious as I had guessed the PAS fault was a voltage issue and that was why I said there was a good chance the battery change may fix.
Rgds ID

Thanks ID,

I think the penny has dropped on what you meant! I may have a go over the weekend and see if i can check the cranking voltage.

fluidgolf

to be really flash if you have two volt meters you could read the battery voltage as well. I use an oscilloscope to record the battery voltage at cranking.

To recap, put the voltmeter on the neg of the battery and a bolt as near to the starter as possible, bell housing bolt and when cranking there should be no voltage reading at all. If it reads 1 or 2 or 3 volts then there is a bad earth. The batt voltage should not drop below approx 10.8 volts during cranking!

The vehicle with the bad earth the other day , the battery voltage was showing as dropping to 8.2 volts at cranking thus triggering the faults !