Vauxhall Corsa B - cooling/overheating - PaulBarn

I have a 95/96 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 16v Ecotec that reads that it is getting hot.

It is getting hot enough for the rad fan to cut in even in the winter we have just had. The gauge sits half way when driving (95ish degrees) then goes up to 105 and the fan cuts in as soon as you are in traffic and it does this constantly. The water in the expantion tank is not that hot(warm but not boiling and you can put your finger in it without burning it).

There is no milky stuff in the top of the engine, it is not using water the interior is getting warm as you would expect.

I have changed the Cam Belt, Water Pump, Thermostate, Rad, Fan Switch and the 2 Temp Gauges and no change.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks Paul Barn.

Vauxhall Corsa B - cooling/overheating - Lygonos

Has the coolant been changed regularly - likeliest problem is the system itself is not as efficient as it used to be either due to a build-up of crud, or possibly a previous use of Radweld or similar.

When the engine is showing hot, is the radiator core itself very hot (watch not to go near the fan which could switch on at any time.

If it doesn't feel roasting hot it is probably blocked internally - flush the cooling system or have it done by someone who knows how to do it without creating airlocks.

In fact I'd flush the cooling system anyway since you've done all the other bits.

(all this presuming there is nothing blocking the flow of external air through the radiator itself).

Edited by Lygonos on 07/02/2011 at 21:50

Vauxhall Corsa B - cooling/overheating - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Vauxhall Corsa B - cooling/overheating - Peter.N.

If its done any sort of mileage a new radiator may be needed.

Vauxhall Corsa B - cooling/overheating - PaulBarn

If its done any sort of mileage a new radiator may be needed.

I have put a new rad on it, and the system has been drained down twice, once when doing the water pump and once when changing the rad. Both times it had clean water and new anti freeze. The heat in the rad feels even all across the rad.