Peugeot 306 - Insane window wipers - gavmoffat
Hi all, bit of a long one

Since buying it in October I've noticed some peculiar behaviour from the wipers on my 306. The intermittent setting didn't seem to work, instead, it would do about 7 wipes at normal speed (without the few seconds gap it should have), stop at a random point on the screen for a few seconds, then start again for a couple more wipes before parking again in a random spot. So on and so on.

The top "fast wipe" setting also did this, except the blades moved at a faster rate. As the wipers worked ok on the normal, constant setting, and for the single wipe which is usually sufficient in light showers, I didn't bother too much.

Then today, in torrential rain and gail force winds, in the dark on the motorway, at rush hour, they stopped working completely. Terrifying.

I pulled in, and after a few minutes the fast wipe setting started to work, and the normal setting begun working a few minutes later. The intermittent and fast settings are still cutting out every few wipes as they have done for months.

When they do go on intermittent and do their peciuliar stopping trick, the wiper stalk makes the same clicking noise it does when I select a setting manually, and does again when they come back on of their own accord a few seconds later. It really does seem as if they've a mind of their own.

In the cold snap I did have some trouble with the wipers not operating until the car was warmed up a bit, but that hasn't happened for ages. I'm not sure if the problems are related.

I'm assuming this is loose connection, faulty sensor, or a Peugeot electrical Gremlin of sorts, any ideas?