jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - colinf

When I put the engine under load, ie accelerate hard to overtake, the glow light comes on and the engine still runs but with reduced power. When I stop the car, turn off the engine, then restart, it appears to reset and all is ok until the next time I put it under load. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Cheers Colinf

Top Reply

jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - Peter.N.

Mr Bairsto, respect seems to be something you are a little short on, my field of expertise is XUD engines and the vehicles that use them when I give a diagnosis I don't claim to be infallable and I certainly dont rubbish other peoples opinions - however erronious they seem to be. You may be an experienced and knowledgable mechanic but you are not going to win friends and influence people by continiously putting them down - obviously something that is not important to you. You are not always here to answer all the problems so other people do their best. We don't get these sort on insults on any of the other forums I am on - it's not in the spirit of helpfulness.

All Replies

jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - Collos25

Electronic turbo actuator very very common fault on x type diesels and mondeo tdci.

jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - Peter.N.

Not really had much experience with these engines but would suggest that overboost from the turbo is trigging the liml home mode. You really need to get the fault codes read.

Sorry for the duplication, this message came up with no replies when I selected it.

jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - Collos25

Believe me 99% its the turbo actuator done loads of these in my time nothing to to do with overboost thats rubbish.

Allright - I was only making a suggestion as I didn't think anyone else had replied.

jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - unthrottled

A failed actuator would cause overboost. Not a rubbish suggestion at all.

With respect you obviously no nothing about Ford/Jaguar electronic actuators.

Mr Bairsto, respect seems to be something you are a little short on, my field of expertise is XUD engines and the vehicles that use them when I give a diagnosis I don't claim to be infallable and I certainly dont rubbish other peoples opinions - however erronious they seem to be. You may be an experienced and knowledgable mechanic but you are not going to win friends and influence people by continiously putting them down - obviously something that is not important to you. You are not always here to answer all the problems so other people do their best. We don't get these sort on insults on any of the other forums I am on - it's not in the spirit of helpfulness.

jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - unthrottled

Please enlighten me-and the OP.

If you read back a few posts you will see, this is not an isolated occurence, he doesn't take prisoners. All I'm asking for is some politeness.

Peter, your irritation is justified.

I was asking Mr Blairsto to share his experience with us. Not much point in saying he know what's wrong, and then saying nothing!

jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - colinf

Believe me 99% its the turbo actuator done loads of these in my time nothing to to do with overboost thats rubbish.

Thanks for your expert diagnosis, could you tell me what is the solution and the approximate cost ?

If you do a search on this site you will find detailed descriptions on the subject.

To increase the power on the diesel engines provided to Jaguar/Ford they changed from a vacuum actuator to a electronic unit matched to a garret turbo,these units are supplied as one piece as they have to be calibrated together failure to do so causes the turbo to run out of sync.Fords/Jaguar charge mega bucks for the replacement unit they are actually available at around £675+vat and take around 4hours to remove the old unit and replace the new one.The reason the actuator fails is through to much heat it bakes itself there are companies around that say they will supply just the actuator but you then need to calibrated it to your turbo.The Jaguar/Ford diesel engines when they have done a reasonable mileage need the EGR valve and inlet manifold removing and thouroughly cleaning failure to do this normally manifests itself as a poor running engine or a blown turbo.

Further details can also be found on the x type and Mondeo forums.

If you do a search on this site you will find detailed descriptions on the subject.

To increase the power on the diesel engines provided to Jaguar/Ford they changed from a vacuum actuator to a electronic unit matched to a garret turbo,these units are supplied as one piece as they have to be calibrated together failure to do so causes the turbo to run out of sync.Fords/Jaguar charge mega bucks for the replacement unit they are actually available at around £675+vat and take around 4hours to remove the old unit and replace the new one.The reason the actuator fails is through to much heat it bakes itself there are companies around that say they will supply just the actuator but you then need to calibrated it to your turbo.The Jaguar/Ford diesel engines when they have done a reasonable mileage need the EGR valve and inlet manifold removing and thouroughly cleaning failure to do this normally manifests itself as a poor running engine or a blown turbo.

Further details can also be found on the x type and Mondeo forums.

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to reply

jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - Avant

This is a technical issue and people are entitled to their opinions. It's perfectly reasonable to disagree, so there is no need to rubbish other people's views or claim that they know nothing.

If the insults continue I will have to lock the thread, which would be a pity if people have something useful to say in answer to Colin's problem.

If I upset anybody I appologise .

Thank you, I'm sure we all accept that.

jaguar x type 2.0 lt diesel 60,000 miles - engine loses power under load - richbev

is it possible the cat is becoming plocked. this is quite a common problem on diesels. would be worth some cat clean fluid in the fuel. cheap options first and all that