Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI 116K - Deady Battery - Rocketman

I probably already know the answer but having just spent money on this car I'm reluctant to fork out again, it's starting to become a bit of a habbit.

It's just been in the garage for new bottom pulley and some work on the brakes.

When I got the car back the clock was flashing... thought nothng of it.

used it for a couple of short trips and battery dead - jump started ok - charged battery for about 3-4 hours.

Used car yesterday about 70 miles stop/start about half a dozen times.

Went to use it today, just about turns over not enough to start.. charged for an hour and started.

Testing it I get around 12.5 v. (slightly higher when it's just finished charging)

Battery drain test with car shut down I get around 0.001a or 0.1 ma. Rising to around 1a when you open the door and put internal lights on.

Voltage test with engine running I get around 14.3 rising to 14.6 when you throttle the engine.

Had the car nearly 5 years and I have not fitted a battery - and wait for it it's a Tudor battery which from reading on here don't get too good a write up..

Time for new battery ???

Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI 116K - Deady Battery - nickskyline

yer sounds like battery had it should get a new one really. but you can check to see if you still have fluid in the battery be carefull and take the battery out the car first before checking the fluid level.

Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI 116K - Deady Battery - Cris_on_the_gas

Have you tried measuring the battery voltage while cranking the engine. From memory it should not drop much below about 10V, if its much less than that the battery's history..

Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI 116K - Deady Battery - Peter.N.

Yep, all the figures are OK I would go with the battery.

Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI 116K - Dead Battery - Rocketman

I tried trickle charging overnight. Got one start out of it then flat again - voltage had dropped to 10.4V. New battery ordered and fitted this morning - back to work this afternoon.

I know there are others but ordered from these at 3pm - delivered next day at 9am :-)

www.tayna.co.uk