Peugeot 306 HDI Dturbo Vreg - Peugeot 306 HDI Dturbo starting and idling fault - cardboardshoes
I have a V reg 306 HDI Dturbo with issues. It will not start or tick over.
If you spray some easy start into the intake it will start up and you can rev it up all you like, nice engine noise, no issues there.
But if you let it tick over, it will stall and not start again unless you use the easy start.

So I'm thinking it's the idle speed controller, if there is one, or the pump in the tank not working correctly on idle/startup pressure.
I have scoured all the forums and have not been able to find another problem identical to mine. I don't want to go throwing money at it so I hope someone reading this has had the same issues and can help me.

I am in the car trade working in bodyshops with a mechanical background and I have a mate with a snapon scanner. We put the scanner on, cleared all the codes, ran the engine for a bit and then the code that came back was P1404 Pre-heating/Additional heating; circuit 2 - error. Not sure what heating circuit this means - glow plug circuit, interior heater or engine cooling fans etc...??? I whipped off the cover that holds the relays on the fan cowling and one of them had fallen out, plugged it back in and still no change.

I have asked many friends in the trade and I am getting a conflicting difference of opinion with some saying injector pump (hope not) some say the pump in the tank, idle speed valve or air flow meter. Like I said, I don't just want to change everything so hope you can help.

Simon
Peugeot 306 HDI Dturbo Vreg - Peugeot 306 HDI Dturbo starting and idling fault - cardboardshoes

Well shame on all of you who did not reply, I have now mended it.

I have tested everything and now know that the HDI is a mother to mend as you just dont know what part to change!!!

So, after 2 months of messing about with it etc..., the high pressure pump was put to blame. ordered off random auction site and prepared for a big job.

Before commencing with the big job I first changed the fuel pressure regulator and valve that came attached to the 2nd hand pump and vavavoooom she went with no fukkin aboot!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there yaall, I did it hahahahahaha i fixed an acheDI

Peugeot 306 HDI Dturbo Vreg - Peugeot 306 HDI Dturbo starting and idling fault - nikola.a

Hi,

i have just bought a car and it has this exact same fault. Unfortunately a private sale so i can't take it back. It happened the second time i drove it.

If you have any time please could i call you and pick your brain? as we just can't get to the bottom of it and as you rightly say nobody seems to post any replies on this fault at all.

Ok so, tried another low pressure fuel pump in tank, fuel rail pressure switch, electronic valve on high pressure fuel pump, checked timing belt to make sure it hadn't jumped - all ok, put in on a modas machine and it came up with nothing other than p1404...fuel pressure on cranking was 320psi.

Please please help if you have time

Peugeot 306 HDI Dturbo Vreg - Peugeot 306 HDI Dturbo starting and idling fault - Peter.N.

Hi Nicola

I think the reason why there have been no replies is that everyone has the same problem in finding the fault. Logic says though that if it will start on easy start and then run that there is not enough fuel pressure at cranking speed to switch everything on which would point to either a faulty high pressure pump or a sensor telling the system that there is not enough pressure - but not nescessaraly.

Knowing your cranking pressure is only useful if you know what it should be, if it is substantially less than it should be the chances are that the HP pump is the problem.

Peter