Ford Focus - 55 reg Focus 1.8 TDCi white smoke when cold - Bails87

Hi

I recently bought a 55 reg Ford Focus hatchback, a 1.8 TDCi (115PS). I've noticed a bit of bluey-white smoke ( I know that knowing if it's one or the other is useful....) upon a cold start. The smoke lasts for about 2 minutes before clearing to what looks like nothing more than a little steam. It isn't especially thick (I've heard/read stories of being unable to see though it, and it filling the cabin), but it's definitely more and with a definite 'stronger than usual' smell than when it's warmed up, and definitely more than my old 106.

The engine sounds slightly rough, and the rev needle 'judders' around the idle level for about 30 seconds after starting, only from say 850-950 rpm before settling on ~900. After that it settles down, but the engine is still a bit louder than once it's warmed up. I should point out that it's been during the cold weather we've had lately, I don't know what it's like when the engine isn't practically ice cold, but if I drive for enough time to get the oil temp up to above 60C on the guage, then leave it for 15 minutes and get back in, it starts smoothly and cleanly.

Once the engine is warm, it runs fine, smooth power through the whole rev range, I can feel when the turbo kicks in, good fuel economy, no smoke when revving. I've got no warning lights on, and no other problems. The engine bay is clean, with no obvious leaks.

As an example, the smoke looks a little like this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsWW_ZsvNJw but not like the ones that are as if a disco fog machine was strapped to the back!

So, basically, any ideas, or is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Ford Focus - 55 reg Focus 1.8 TDCi white smoke when cold - unthrottled

I'm afraid this could be bad news. Blue smoke is usually burning oil. Now the fact that the idle is rough when cold, and settles down after a couple of minutes could well be due to poor compression caused by worn compression rings. As the engine warms up the pistons expand and the rings create a good seal. Sticking EGR valves, bad MAF sensors or turbo problems don't tend to manifest temselves at idle. All diesels have a bit of clatter when cold, but ~0C should not be a problem for any diesel. I really hope it isn't rings but it would fit your description.

I would start looking for signs of blowby, After a cold start, check for oil being pushed out of the dipstick, and take a look at the crankcase breather hose. After that you can try a compression test-you'll need a diesel compression testing kit (petrol gauge isn't high enough) and the target figures for that engine (probably in the range 350-400 psi).

Really hope I'm wrong on this one and it's just a silly fault.
I would start looking for signs of blowby, After a cold start, check for oil being pushed out of the dipstick

I think I spotted this when I checked the oil level last week....hmmmm.

I'm seeing a 'mechanic-y' friend tomorrow, I'll have to get him to have a look. If he thinks there might be a problem then I'll be straight back in touch with the place I bought it from, seeing as it's still under their warranty. I know I should have probably got in touch with them first, but I didn't want to be making a fuss when there's not a problem and show up any lack of mechanical knowledge!

Thanks for the reply, if it is the compression rings then it's covered by the warranty, so hopefully it'll be sorted.

That's good to hear. Best of luck.

Just for reference, here's the car starting up: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbGj0LFClw

Ignore the sound, it doesn't sound anything like that in real life, engines always seem sound 'exaggerated' on video, my old 1.1L 106 sounded like a V8!

Also, ignore the fact that it didn't start first time. It's never done that when I've started it, I think the person starting it just turned the key back from 'start' before it had got going for some reason.

That looks more like unburned fuel than oil to me-which is good. It would be very unusual for the rings to go on a 6 year old car.Take it to back to the dealer. There are various reasons for a failure to get decent compression ignition with a cold engine. It could be something as simple as a failed glow plug or a malfunctioning injector.
Ford Focus - 55 reg Focus 1.8 TDCi white smoke when cold - abapodra

Hi

Please could you let me know what the fault was in the end and how you fixed it. I have an 05 plate 2.0 tdci and doing same thing.

White smoke on start up quite bad. Had the injectors tested are were fine - no faults found.

Not sure if there is air in the fuel system or maybe the glow plug not working properly. All fluids seem ok so don't think it can be anything else.

Thank you for your help.

Nil

Ford Focus - 55 reg Focus 1.8 TDCi white smoke when cold - Mr:Black
Hey, did anyone come back with an answer? As I have the same issue on a 2005 Focus C-Max during startup in the morning. It doesn't happen for the rest of the day. The car has rough idle for the first 2-3 mins and then is ok. Power is normal and it doesn't use any oil between services. An independent garage told me that the DPF is gone. Can anyone help with advice?
Ford Focus - 55 reg Focus 1.8 TDCi white smoke when cold - Railroad.
Hey, did anyone come back with an answer? As I have the same issue on a 2005 Focus C-Max during startup in the morning. It doesn't happen for the rest of the day. The car has rough idle for the first 2-3 mins and then is ok. Power is normal and it doesn't use any oil between services. An independent garage told me that the DPF is gone. Can anyone help with advice?

First, a 2005 C-Max is very unlikely to have a DPF, and even if it did it's not going to be the cause of this.

What is likely is a cracked cylinder head which is allowing coolant to enter a cylinder as the engine cools. To confirm this do the following.

After you've finished using the car for the day loosen the coolant pressure cap and very gently release the pressure and leave the cap loose overnight. Next morning tighten the cap and then start the engine as normal. If it runs well then the head is cracked.

This is because the crack will close up as the engine warms up, and open up as the engine cools. At the same time the coolant contracts as the engine is cooling down and would be drawn through the opening crack. The pressure cap allows air into the top of the cooling system to prevent it vacuuming. By releasing the pressure you have already started much of the contracting process. As the engine then cools the coolant as less likely to be drawn through the crack into the cylinder.

If after having done this a cracked cylinder head is diagnosed post back and I'll tell you how it's possible to fix it. You may not need a new cylinder head.