VW golf Mk6 1.4TSi DSG 2010 - Which Engine Oil to use - Ian91

Does anyone know which engine oil to use for my golf - need to top it up. It's next service is not due for @ 6 months. Also have any other golf users (petrol version) had white smoke emitting from the exhaust, even when the engine is warmed up?

VW golf Mk6 1.4TSi DSG 2010 - Which Engine Oil to use - itavaltalainen

You need an oil that is certified to VW504.00/507.00 standard, which is always a 5w30 viscosity.The bottle should indicate that it is VW LONGLIFE III oil.

You may alternatively top up with oil according to standard 502.00, (0w40, 5w40) if the amount does not exceed 1/2 litre.

You can also change completely to the cheaper 502.00 oils at your next inspection but need to change you service interval from longlife to fixed mileage.

White smoke, even in a warm engine is quite normal, but should go away after a 50 miles trip, unless it's very cold/moist.

Edited by itavaltalainen on 28/01/2011 at 09:29

VW golf Mk6 1.4TSi DSG 2010 - Which Engine Oil to use - Steven Quas

If the white smoke happens all the time then it needs investigating. Most petrol cars give off white smoke, particularly when it's around 0-5C with a lot of humidity. During and just after snow and ice thaws it is very common to see petrol cars do this.

Steven Quas , Hamburg

VW golf Mk6 1.4TSi DSG 2010 - Which Engine Oil to use - ForumNeedsModerating

Why , with a nearly new car are you asking people on a website about your engine oil?

I would have thought the 1st action would be to contact the franchise dealer and/or look in the handbook. I would also check with them about the 'white smoke' you mention.

It's in warranty.

VW golf Mk6 1.4TSi DSG 2010 - Which Engine Oil to use - daveyjp

First call handbook, then off to the local SKODA dealer as they were the cheapest I found for 507 oil.

Why , with a nearly new car are you asking people on a website about your engine oil?

I would have thought the 1st action would be to contact the franchise dealer and/or look in the handbook. I would also check with them about the 'white smoke' you mention.

It's in warranty.

Just to clarify: Although the car is new, I have found websites to be just as helpful if not more than franchised dealers, the handbook is not with me as I am working away and was looking for a guide from members, white smoke seems to be an issue with some of the golf 1.4TSi will check with dealer when I get back, otherwise thanks for the advise, I think!!I

Edited by Ian91 on 29/01/2011 at 09:38

VW golf Mk6 1.4TSi DSG 2010 - Which Engine Oil to use - mustangman

Ian91, I would echo the previous messages, it must be the correct spec of synthetic oil. I bought some over the internet. About £35 / 5L Comma if I recall.

Also, to stray off topic somewhat, I have the same Golf as you, I've had mine close to 2 years.

I'm after your opinion of the dsg. I find the jerking, reaction delays and sheer unpredictability when, pulling away and opening the throttle below 30 mph, drive me mad. You can drive allmost smoothly, but you have to concentrate and be very accurate with the throttle.

Dealer says of "characteristic of the car"

The car is otherwise great, but I'm considering changing to something different ( Prius ? ) so I can have a SMOOTH, economical auto.

Mustangman, thanks for info, with my car the DSG seems to work fine, quite smooth on take off and no delay, without having to concentrate too much, I would go for a second opinon and sit next to the mechanic while he drives it, to see what he thinks, or test drive a another car. On my third golf all autos have been ok, but first DSG. Let us know how you get on. I have booked my car in to look into the excessive smoke problem from my exhaust.

VW golf Mk6 1.4TSi DSG 2010 - Which Engine Oil to use - mustangman

Thanks for your comments Ian,

I've had the car in three times for them to look at it, and raised it in writing to VW UK. perhaps it is me, but I've never had a car that reacted like this one does. The dealer did seem to try, sent off software to Germany & everything.

It's particularly bad in the sort of situation where you approach an island slowing almost to a stop, then you see a gap, and push the throttle. I would usually get a gasp followed by a lurch as fuel seems to get added to the engine, or perhaps it might just pull steadily. Problem is that even after nearly two years I carn't tell !

Bring on the Prius, maybe !

Must be very disconcerting, could be that the software info is not showing exactly whats happening in normal driving conditions.

Not tried the prius I presume the auto is pretty good! Having driven manual cars for @ 20 years, will not go back, autos are ok if there working correctly and are a lot easier on my left foot. May also try a deisel next time, the new vw golf s/be out in 2012.

VW golf Mk6 1.4TSi DSG 2010 - Which Engine Oil to use - zango

Shell helix is what they used for mine. I think there was a sticker in the door jam.

I have posted on this website about my engine problems with a 160 dsg golf.

You need to check for the following symptoms;

1. Hesitation at low rpm (especially in high gears).

2. Engine oil is black or dark in colour and smells of combustion products.

3. Jerky gear changes.

4. Lumpy idle.

5. Low mpg.

The key one is really number 2. After this is detected you don't have long before it gets bad. A new coil pack will give a temporary improvement, so don't be fooled by this. I would recommend driving it, until it stops. That way you get a a new engine rather than a bodged up repair.

Cheers Pete