Pavement Parking - macgd016

I have always understood that it was illegal to park your car with one or more wheels on the pavement or within 10 meters or opposite a junction. However, during a recent conversation with a PCSO I was told that this was no longer the case, is this true?

If the law has change I feel this is very sad as, unlike many motoring laws, these rules seem very sensible as they are designed to protect pedestrians from traffic and enable road users to enter and exit junctions safely.

Pavement Parking - martint123

The highway code says "DO NOT" rather than "MUST NOT" regarding near a junction. (rule 243) so naughty but not an offence.

tinyurl.com/4akthck

Rule 244 says "You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs."

Edited by martint123 on 26/01/2011 at 21:04

Pavement Parking - Dwight Van Driver

PSCO is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

dvd

Pavement Parking - martint123

PSCO is WRONG WRONG WRONG

Now there's a surprise ;)

Out of curiosity, how much training do they get about traffic law?

Pavement Parking - fredthefifth

Whatever the case its on the increase. Some parking is simply so inconsiderate it beggars belief that anyone could leave a vehicle like that.

Have seen the drivers sometimes and it isn't kids either, often middle aged to elderly. Unless of course it is a tradesman - who are the worst of the lot.

Starting to see more parking on crossing zig zags too. Have seen it on my way to work and same vehicle on the way home 8 hours later! Must have been there all day and the conclusion has to be that plod and PCSO's alike ignore it!! Sometimes the vehicle is only a few yards from a legal place to park.

Find it really anyoying.

FTF

Pavement Parking - bathtub tom

Pavement parking really annoys me, unless it's clearly allowed.

I was trudging up my local high street in the pouring rain and saw a 'blinged up' SUV pull up on zig-zags outside a bank. The driver exited and legged it into the bank. A traffic warden was walking towards me, but this was happening behind them. As we passed, I said 'look behind you'. They did a rapid U-turn.