Skoda Fabia (2001) - Car Repair Following Accident - Being Scammed? - r4sh1d

Following an accident, a garage towed away my car and provided me a quote for a repair. The front left wing of my car was damaged with the bodywork and suspension needing repair. The engine was working fine as I drove the car off the motorway and it did not overheat. The garage told me that they would charge me £1600 for the repair which was detailed (replacement of parts on suspension and body) but I negotiated this down to £1000.

After having said that they would repair it in a few weeks, they informed me about 9 weeks later that the repair had been completed but that there was now a problem with the engine. They said there was a crack in a cylinder and basically that the car needs a new engine.

Considering the car is not worth more than £1000, I would not have asked them to carry out the repair had they carried out a proper initial diagnosis and picked up that the engine was seriously damaged. They now say that I owe them the money for a car which I cannot even drive. I feel like I am being scammed here. Please advise on where I stand legally.

I also allege that the engine was normal when they took the car (backed up by the fact that they mentioned no engine problem in their initial diagnosis) and believe that the engine was damaged while the car was in their care. Again, I do not know how I stand from a legal standpoint. Please advise on whether I have a case so I know how strong my bargaining position is. I would be most grateful.

Skoda Fabia (2001) - Car Repair Following Accident - Being Scammed? - LucyBC

If they have done the work covered by their quote you will have to pay them for it.

It will be very difficult to show that the fault was not pre-existing. By all means have the car examined by an independent expert to check the engine fault was not resultant from the accident.

If the work is subject to an insurance claim and you can show the engine damage resulted from the accident they may pay up for it - but not if the repair cost is more than the value of the car. If the latter is the case you will only get the write-off value.

Skoda Fabia (2001) - Car Repair Following Accident - Being Scammed? - gfewster

Why on earth did the work take 9 weeks? Something fishy there...

I have no idea and no explanation. The car was in refit for over four weeks, apparently. Ridiculous. There seems to be no accountability and they can do as they please.

Lucy,

Thanks for the response. I was not fully comp on the insurance so they are not paying anything.

So if they claimed thatthe engine was damaged when the car got to them; considering I asked for a quote on how much it would cost to repair the car, are they not responsible for giving me a complete and accurate assessment of damage? As the garage is kitemark accredited and has approvals from four different car manufacturers I would have expected them to take more responsibility.

I was thinking that was negligence on their part and they mislead me into agreeing to pay for a repair which would not make the car roadworthy again. Is that legal for them to do? Most would agree that just does not sound right.