Note 2009 Accenta Automatic - Nissan Note, Noise on starting - Marsh

I have an intermittant problem, can anyone help?

On starting from cold, just sometimes it makes a horrendous noise for a few seconds. It is coming from the belts area of the engine and sounds a bit like a number of tin cans being stirred in a metal bucket!! After a short while all is normal and quiet running. Nothing is visible, there are no leaks etc. I am otherwise well pleased with this car which has only done about 15,000 miles.

My Nissan dealer tried to find it without luck, even after 3 days random test starts. I have even recorded the noise so at least they recognise it is a genuine problem.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas, and especially if anyone else has/had the same problem.

Note 2009 Accenta Automatic - Nissan Note, Noise on starting - Paul77C
Having exactly the same problems in my 2008 1.6 auto.

Had the auxillary belts changed under warranty in November and last week, as the dealer says this is the cause, but the noise continues.

It's off to a second dealer next week for a further look! I will post if anything comes of it....
Note 2009 Accenta Automatic - Nissan Note, Noise on starting - Big John
Sounds like the Hydraulic tappets to me. If oil drains out of them overnight it take tike a short while when first starting for the tappets to settle. I've known this on many vehicles over the years. Using an engine flush before an oil change can help.
Note 2009 Accenta Automatic - Nissan Note, Noise on starting - Marsh

Thanks, that sounds a definate possibility. It is due a service in about 8 weeks, so I'll make sure the engine is flushed with the oil change.

Regards Marsh

Note 2009 Accenta Automatic - Nissan Note, Noise on starting - Avant

Moved to Technical.