Vauxhall Zafira CDTi - New to diesel - any general advice? - southcoastsounds

I've just aquired my first ever diesel car and am wondering if there's anything I need to know about running a diesel engine.

For example, should I warm up the engine before I drive off?

Does it harm it if some weeks I only do short journeys?

Or any other useful tips.

Thanks in anticipation

Vauxhall Zafira CDTi - New to diesel - any general advice? - veryoldbear

Depends what you mean by "short journeys". Many diesels don't really get into their stride and warmed through until 5 miles plus.

Vauxhall Zafira CDTi - New to diesel - any general advice? - Armstrong Sid

Might also be worthwhile to know why you chose to have a diesel on this occasion if its your first

What made you go diesel rather than petrol. Had you heard or read anything which influenced your decision?

Vauxhall Zafira CDTi - New to diesel - any general advice? - southcoastsounds

Thanks for the replies.

I bought this car because I had a deal I couldn't turn down - and in any case, we do a lot of mileage driving across Europe - Germany last year, the Auvergne this, quite apart from regular longish trips each week.

So far (the last two weeks) the car has performed beautifully and my fuel consumption has gone up by nearly 20mpg over the last Zafira I had (the 2.2 petrol). So, I'm pretty pleased with it, but just wondered if there's anything I really needed to know.

Vauxhall Zafira CDTi - New to diesel - any general advice? - madf

I've just aquired my first ever diesel car and am wondering if there's anything I need to know about running a diesel engine.

For example, should I warm up the engine before I drive off?

No. It will not warm up. Too efficient.

Does it harm it if some weeks I only do short journeys?

Not as long as you give it a regular once a fortnight c 20 mile fast run.. If you keep using for a long time on short journeys only, the filter for removing fine particles from the exhasut gets blocked up...

Or any other useful tips.

Start up and drive away at once, but keep revs below 3,000 rpm and throttle light for first 2-3 miles. Let the car idle before switching off after long hot runs - summer - motorwys- hills- for 1-2 minutes.

Don't be afraid to acclerate hard when warm... helps the system clear carbon debris.

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by madf on 19/01/2011 at 15:33

Vauxhall Zafira CDTi - New to diesel - any general advice? - craig-pd130

All of Madf's points are good: I would simply add one more. Remember to to fill the tank from the black pump :)

Vauxhall Zafira CDTi - New to diesel - any general advice? - Andy P

When I asked BMW about this for my 335D, they said it wasn't necessary (whether this is something specific to BMW I don't know).

Edited by Andy P on 20/01/2011 at 10:23

Vauxhall Zafira CDTi - New to diesel - any general advice? - Dutchie
BMW are right what can they say common sense points from madf Show a bit of respect for the engine don't trash it from cold start and drive as normal.This goes for any car engine..