ford focus 2,0 tdci 05 - yellow/water in oil cap? - dh1983

How do u know if the garage where u get the service done has added the right oil to my car, my car has been serviced in october2010 and i have just checked the oil and it is black, is this right?

i also checked the oil cap and it appears to have yellowish mess in the oil cap.

is this anything to be worried about?

ford focus 2,0 tdci 05 - yellow/water in oil cap? - unthrottled
1.) Generally, you don't. All the more reason to perform basic maintainance yourself.
2.) This is the first time you've checked the oil level in 3 months?? [Sigh]. Yes, diesels 'soot up' their oil very quickly. This is normal.
3.)Mayonaise type emulsion on oil filler cap=head gasket failure!!!
Joke. This is common in cold weather/short journey routine. Give the car a good run and it should disappear. If, however, the yellowish mess is accompanied by a low coolant level, you might have a big problem.
ford focus 2,0 tdci 05 - yellow/water in oil cap? - dh1983

i check the oil level every time i fill up usuaully, i was just concerned about the yellowish substance on the cap. i tend to only do short maybe 20miles a week, the coolant level is still at max.

ill give it a good run on the motorway at some point, cheers untrottled! :D

ford focus 2,0 tdci 05 - yellow/water in oil cap? - unthrottled
No probs!
20 miles per week? No wonder the oil is having a hard time! Seriously, a diesel engine can take 10 miles just to get the oil up to operating temperature. They really aren't designed for short journeys, and tend to become troublesome if subjected to a constant diet of cold operation. If you don't anticipate a significant change in your usage, a petrol would make far more sense. If you only cover a few thousand miles a year, fuel economy is a moot point.