Retaining private reg plates - jupiter2step

Hi, I am thinking of part-exchanging my car and would like to retain the reg. plates which I bought for it a couple of years ago. Anybody tell me the process I need to go through for this - is it just a matter of refixing the old plates and informing the DVLA?

Retaining private reg plates - Doc
- is it just a matter of refixing the old plates and informing the DVLA?

No!!

See: tinyurl.com/y9bvaly

Thanks for the link. So, in practice, how would this work if I want to p/ex my vehicle? I assume it would be a case of agreeing with the retailer that the registration plate be retained and the form would be submitted to the DVLA along with the fee at the time the sale goes through?

It is best to put the number on a retention certificate before you sell the vehicle. This saves any dispute on ownership.

Thanks, I see the DVLA charge a £105 retention fee. Would I have to fork out again to transfer it to the new vehicle or would I have a right to use it without paying another fee? Sorry for all the questions - all this is new to me!

Retaining private reg plates - fingers crossed

Thanks, I see the DVLA charge a £105 retention fee. Would I have to fork out again to transfer it to the new vehicle or would I have a right to use it without paying another fee? Sorry for all the questions - all this is new to me!

No you would not have to pay again. The £105 is made up of £25 for the retention certificate and £80 for the transfer to your next car. the retention certificate explains all.

Hope this has been of some help.

The fee includes the transfer-there is no more to pay.

Retaining private reg plates - fingers crossed

Forgot to mention in my previous post if you don't transfer within 12months you have to pay another £25 to retain the cert. for another year,and if not certain but i think you can keep paying £25 each year till you transfer to a car.